F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

08-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #177
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Does anyone know how difficult it is to install the backup camera from avin?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #178
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnica
Does anyone know how difficult it is to install the backup camera from avin?
I have installed it once, and it was very easy. I wish I had documented it, but did the install for a friend with an F30. We did the new display and camera.

I can help if you do it.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #179
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapotrini View Post
Wait, Android 4.4 is the OS used here? Is that a joke? That's a 5 years old OS which doesn't even meet the requirements of Android Auto. That's unbelievable.
I have an iPhone, but I just read the site and it says that the Android phone is what needs the 5.0 or higher OS in order to run Android Auto.
I have run Auto on my S8+ and am candidly unimpressed. I have yet to find any shortcomings in the display though candidly not running like 50 apps or something. I spend 75% of my time in the original iDrive screens, and the upgrade is still more than worth it.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #180
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
I have installed it once, and it was very easy. I wish I had documented it, but did the install for a friend with an F30. We did the new display and camera.

I can help if you do it.
That would be great, i already did the display thanks to your DIY video.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #181
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnica
Quote:

I can help if you do it.
That would be great, i already did the display thanks to your DIY video.
shoot me an email and I will walk you through it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #182
brichi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

I just returned mine for a replacement hopefully fixing bad sound output. I have a 2103 F30 CIC so I have to use the AUX cable and aux input on the car and the volume is literally like 75% lower then just listening to my factory XM. I tried the unit playing movies, pandora, music and so on and I have to crank everything to 100 to get an "ok" volume out of it when driving, needless to say when I switch to XM it scares the shit out of me if I forget to lower the volume again first

the GPS voice cutover to my left speaker when listening to XM works really great, super loud but once I go back to AUX in everything is super low

I have adjusted all the settings on the Avin software, Droid settings and my cars separate AUX in volume in the menu but still no luck,

Tommy at Avin has been awesome trying to help, did resets and upgraded FW but its still low and the new EQ added to the FW has no effect at all when moving the level left to right, no change in sound

Im hoping the new unit works well being I REALLY like the interface and the lager screen... I put my old screen back in and its so fn tiny now, lol.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #183
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

@raichean Thanks for your help and reviews; without that, I wouldn't even be taking another look at this mod. I'm about to pull the trigger but just have a few questions:

1. How does texting work in the Android interface? Voice, text using idrive controller, using touchscreen or all three? (I sort of got used to that Nuance voice recognition)

2. Just to confirm, I would still be able to use my original USB drive but NOT the aux port? If so, that's fine with me but I do need that USB port in the console to work haha

3. Will the OS be updated at all? 4.4 is a bit outdated and is vulnerable to security attacks.

4. I would have to assume in order to get the internet working on the android side, I would need to tether to this unit each time I get in the car? How do you work around this? Do you just leave tethering on all the time? (really curious about this one)

5. After you installed this unit, can you press the VOICE button on the steering wheel to activate Google Voice when in Android or does it still pull up idrive? (last burning question) Love the idea of just using Google from now on.

6. What the hell is my dealer going to say when I take my car in for any work? Is idrive as a whole no longer covered or just the screen? (I'm okay of the screen warranty is voided but at 11k miles, I don't want to risk it)

Thanks in advance!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #184
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
@raichean Thanks for your help and reviews; without that, I wouldn't even be taking another look at this mod. I'm about to pull the trigger but just have a few questions:

1. How does texting work in the Android interface? Voice, text using idrive controller, using touchscreen or all three? (I sort of got used to that Nuance voice recognition)

2. Just to confirm, I would still be able to use my original USB drive but NOT the aux port? If so, that's fine with me but I do need that USB port in the console to work haha

3. Will the OS be updated at all? 4.4 is a bit outdated and is vulnerable to security attacks.

4. I would have to assume in order to get the internet working on the android side, I would need to tether to this unit each time I get in the car? How do you work around this? Do you just leave tethering on all the time? (really curious about this one)

5. After you installed this unit, can you press the VOICE button on the steering wheel to activate Google Voice when in Android or does it still pull up idrive? (last burning question) Love the idea of just using Google from now on.

6. What the hell is my dealer going to say when I take my car in for any work? Is idrive as a whole no longer covered or just the screen? (I'm okay of the screen warranty is voided but at 11k miles, I don't want to risk it)

Thanks in advance!
I am happy to help however I can:

1. I haven't texted on the android side candidly so I cant speak to how this functions, I am sorry.
2. Correct, you can still use your original USB, and may need to run the AUX cable. In my case I didn't, some need to do so.
3. I know they are talking about it, but I haven't heard any timeframe of possible OS update.
4. Correct, I will tether to my phone when out and about, or tether to home WIFI when in the garage.
5. Actually I will have to look, as I am not sure off the top of my head. I will get back to you on this.
6. I have had my car into the dealer twice since this install, as I am still under warranty, and not had a single comment at all.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #185
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am happy to help however I can:

1. I haven't texted on the android side candidly so I cant speak to how this functions, I am sorry.
2. Correct, you can still use your original USB, and may need to run the AUX cable. In my case I didn't, some need to do so.
3. I know they are talking about it, but I haven't heard any timeframe of possible OS update.
4. Correct, I will tether to my phone when out and about, or tether to home WIFI when in the garage.
5. Actually I will have to look, as I am not sure off the top of my head. I will get back to you on this.
6. I have had my car into the dealer twice since this install, as I am still under warranty, and not had a single comment at all.
Wow that was fast; thanks for the info! I will have to safely assume all text functions will still work in idrive plus I don't text much while driving (NEVER HOLDING the phone lol) so if I didn't gain any functionality there, I would get over it fast I thought the older models needed the aux cord routed but I could be mistaken there. (I have NBT with stock business NAVI)

Regarding the updates, I suppose it's not as bad as I make it sound since not much internet browsing/bill paying would take place in the car haha.

The only issue would be with tethering...I'll have to field test it by leaving it on all the time because the one thing I hate to do is toggle crap before/after I get in/out of my car. Either way, the bigger screen alone to me is worth the price of admission so if this doesn't work out well, I would just enjoy the bigger screen with a few additional functions

If you remember to check the voice button out, great but if not, I won't hold it to you as you've been more than helpful as it is!

I suppose this project will also give me the opportunity to patch my LCI upgrade (lighted console trim) as I really rushed it and left it a bit messy with the splicing lol. (it's safe but not a clean looking job back there with the harness) Last but not least, if my dealer didn't say anything about my other mods, why would they question this one? (sorry to waste your time on that last question)

I'm certainly not asking for a discount but didn't someone post one here earlier?

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #186
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow that was fast; thanks for the info! I will have to safely assume all text functions will still work in idrive plus I don't text much while driving (NEVER HOLDING the phone lol) so if I didn't gain any functionality there, I would get over it fast I thought the older models needed the aux cord routed but I could be mistaken there. (I have NBT with stock business NAVI)

Regarding the updates, I suppose it's not as bad as I make it sound since not much internet browsing/bill paying would take place in the car haha.

The only issue would be with tethering...I'll have to field test it by leaving it on all the time because the one thing I hate to do is toggle crap before/after I get in/out of my car. Either way, the bigger screen alone to me is worth the price of admission so if this doesn't work out well, I would just enjoy the bigger screen with a few additional functions

If you remember to check the voice button out, great but if not, I won't hold it to you as you've been more than helpful as it is!

I suppose this project will also give me the opportunity to patch my LCI upgrade (lighted console trim) as I really rushed it and left it a bit messy with the splicing lol. (it's safe but not a clean looking job back there with the harness) Last but not least, if my dealer didn't say anything about my other mods, why would they question this one? (sorry to waste your time on that last question)

I'm certainly not asking for a discount but didn't someone post one here earlier?
Correct, there is a significant discount!

there is a $155 OFF coupon code they can use.

Coupon code: bimmerfest
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #187
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Correct, there is a significant discount!

there is a $155 OFF coupon code they can use.

Coupon code: bimmerfest
Thank you! Well then, I will just have to purchase this little unit ASAP! I've been looking for a larger 10.25" screen since day 1 with a max cost of $400. (yeah, that wasn't happening unless I got lucky) This unit is $250 more than my budget but it offers so much more...I'd be foolish not to do this. Thanks for your help!

Would any of you recommend the front camera? If so, my concern is wiring and hiding it under trim panels along with mounting. Was it a PITA (pain in the ass) or an easy job? I've done car stereos, amps, LCI center face plate upgrade; that sort of thing in the past but not cameras.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #188
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank you! Well then, I will just have to purchase this little unit ASAP! I've been looking for a larger 10.25" screen since day 1 with a max cost of $400. (yeah, that wasn't happening unless I got lucky) This unit is $250 more than my budget but it offers so much more...I'd be foolish not to do this. Thanks for your help!

Would any of you recommend the front camera? If so, my concern is wiring and hiding it under trim panels along with mounting. Was it a PITA (pain in the ass) or an easy job? I've done car stereos, amps, LCI center face plate upgrade; that sort of thing in the past but not cameras.
I haven't done front facing in my F32, but I have in my E46 and E53, and really a cake walk. The cabling easily fits under the leading edge of the head liner, and then used my plastic trim tool to get under the A pillar lining (away from any airbag etc, be careful and then down to the glove box. Easy easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #189
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I haven't done front facing in my F32, but I have in my E46 and E53, and really a cake walk. The cabling easily fits under the leading edge of the head liner, and then used my plastic trim tool to get under the A pillar lining (away from any airbag etc, be careful and then down to the glove box. Easy easy.
I'm so close to adding it BUT I keep thinking; I'm in my mid-30's and have settled down. I don't need to race nor "play" with it which was my first instinct as a grown child lol. Honestly, what could it be used for except parking? (knock on wood, I have never hit anything when parking....ever) The unit itself is already installed in my mind

Almost forgot to ask; Android Auto....does one just install the phone app then pair it to the android screen? I've used it a few times and the phone just asks for a car that's compatible. Seems easy enough to connect to me but figured it's better asking. Thanks again for your help!

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #190
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm so close to adding it BUT I keep thinking; I'm in my mid-30's and have settled down. I don't need to race nor "play" with it which was my first instinct as a grown child lol. Honestly, what could it be used for except parking? (knock on wood, I have never hit anything when parking....ever) The unit itself is already installed in my mind

Almost forgot to ask; Android Auto....does one just install the phone app then pair it to the android screen? I've used it a few times and the phone just asks for a car that's compatible. Seems easy enough to connect to me but figured it's better asking. Thanks again for your help!
I actually haven't run android auto so cant speak to it.. I did read higher in the thread someone saying that android 4.4 (the display) wont run it. *shrug* you can do screen mirroring though and that works fine.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #191
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I actually haven't run android auto so cant speak to it.. I did read higher in the thread someone saying that android 4.4 (the display) wont run it. *shrug* you can do screen mirroring though and that works fine.
Thanks for your honesty on that....it's certainly not a deal breaker either and I will stop asking questions before I finish reading haha (I missed a few pages in between)

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #192
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your honesty on that....it's certainly not a deal breaker either and I will stop asking questions before I finish reading haha (I missed a few pages in between)
I think I MIGHT have launched it once on my phone, if I am remembering correctly or the right app. Once and if it was that, I was wildly underwhelmed, and uninstalled. *shrug* Not sure now though. 8)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #193
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think I MIGHT have launched it once on my phone, if I am remembering correctly or the right app. Once and if it was that, I was wildly underwhelmed, and uninstalled. *shrug* Not sure now though. 8)
I recall testing Android Auto expecting to see traffic, satellite view, etc in the Navigation under Android Auto only to find a cheap looking map that made my CUE NAV look like GOLD haha. It's a bit overrated anyway.

I have read through all the posts and I am finally fully understanding how the system works but when YOU use the system, do you just keep your phone connected to iDrive or the Android side? (I would think the iDrive side at least for music and phone calls) I listen to much of my music from the HDD at the moment and my thoughts are: if I connect BT to android then switch back to listen to music, I would then not receive the call, correct? Maybe I am not "fully" understanding it quite yet but am getting there. (thanks for your help and most of all your patience)

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #194
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I recall testing Android Auto expecting to see traffic, satellite view, etc in the Navigation under Android Auto only to find a cheap looking map that made my CUE NAV look like GOLD haha. It's a bit overrated anyway.

I have read through all the posts and I am finally fully understanding how the system works but when YOU use the system, do you just keep your phone connected to iDrive or the Android side? (I would think the iDrive side at least for music and phone calls) I listen to much of my music from the HDD at the moment and my thoughts are: if I connect BT to android then switch back to listen to music, I would then not receive the call, correct? Maybe I am not "fully" understanding it quite yet but am getting there. (thanks for your help and most of all your patience)
I most often keep my BT connected on the iDrive side, that said, I am cheating with a Samsung S8+ and BT 5.0 which means I can connect to both, at the same time. LOL
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #195
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I most often keep my BT connected on the iDrive side, that said, I am cheating with a Samsung S8+ and BT 5.0 which means I can connect to both, at the same time. LOL
Nice workaround!

Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #196
brichi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

screw the age, just buy it!! lol

honestly you will love it, Like you read above I had to return mine but Tommy from Avin is already shipping out a new one and I miss the larger screen already

I believe when I pressed the voice control on the steering wheel it still activated the stock BMW voice control, all it did on the Avin unit was activate the GPS maps which was weird.

Once I get the new unit I can test more and answer any questions also you may have. Im using mine with my iPhone though, Not a Galaxy (as much as I love that phone!)
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      08-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #197
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichi
Quote:

screw the age, just buy it!! lol

honestly you will love it, Like you read above I had to return mine but Tommy from Avin is already shipping out a new one and I miss the larger screen already

I believe when I pressed the voice control on the steering wheel it still activated the stock BMW voice control, all it did on the Avin unit was activate the GPS maps which was weird.

Once I get the new unit I can test more and answer any questions also you may have. Im using mine with my iPhone though, Not a Galaxy (as much as I love that phone!)
Thanks and for the cost, I'll just add it on Popping on this tomorrow... I know I haven't even ordered it yet but approximately how long does shipping take? haha

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #198
brichi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks and for the cost, I'll just add it on Popping on this tomorrow... I know I haven't even ordered it yet but approximately how long does shipping take? haha
they were very fast, I paid for the 3 day shipping and they shipped it that day and got it 3 days later
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00