F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Millway Camber Plates
Extreme Powerhouse

05-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #199
Samuel Lindkvist
Rep
Drives: M3E46,M2CS,330iG20,X3G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Hi Samuel

This step

6. Loosen the nut on the inner control arm bolt. Just enough so there is no preload on the bolt. Do not remove completely.

Why do you take this step?

Thanks
Hi. This is because that bushing works like a torsion bar. And without loosening that bolt you can not get the outer hub to be lowered enough. At least not without applying a lot of force.

Very good that you asked because this is one of the most important step when you later reassemble the suspension.
This bolt must be torqued in one of the last step with the wheels on the ground. You want this “rubber torsion bar” to be torqued in the ride height. It is also important when you lower the car to have this torqued at the new height.

Note that this is only necessary for non M cars. M2-M4 have a uniball in that position. For M-cars you don’t need to loosen the bolt. And if you do you can torque it with the car raised.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 03:17 PM   #200
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Lindkvist View Post
Hi. This is because that bushing works like a torsion bar. And without loosening that bolt you can not get the outer hub to be lowered enough. At least not without applying a lot of force.

Very good that you asked because this is one of the most important step when you later reassemble the suspension.
This bolt must be torqued in one of the last step with the wheels on the ground. You want this “rubber torsion bar” to be torqued in the ride height. It is also important when you lower the car to have this torqued at the new height.

Note that this is only necessary for non M cars. M2-M4 have a uniball in that position. For M-cars you don’t need to loosen the bolt. And if you do you can torque it with the car raised.
"This bolt must be torqued in one of the last step with the wheels on the ground"

Samuel, how do you torque the control arm bolt with the car on the ground? The wheel would be in the way and there is no space to crawl under the car if it's on the ground.
      05-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #201
Samuel Lindkvist
Rep
Drives: M3E46,M2CS,330iG20,X3G01

Quote:
"This bolt must be torqued in one of the last step with the wheels on the ground"

Samuel, how do you torque the control arm bolt with the car on the ground? The wheel would be in the way and there is no space to crawl under the car if it's on the ground.
”Car on the ground” may not be the best words choosen. We have the car leveled on the lift on the wheels and can stand underneath and torque the bolts like the car is on the ground. I’m sorry for my bad english.

To make this at home you can jack up the hub without wheels to an estimated position and torque the nut. Since you probably do it on one side at a time the swaybar link needs to be unconnected. This way is equally good. My point is that we need to “reset” the torsion in the bushings. This also applies to the rear axle points with rubber bushings.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #202
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
”Car on the ground” may not be the best words choosen. We have the car leveled on the lift on the wheels and can stand underneath and torque the bolts like the car is on the ground. I’m sorry for my bad english.

To make this at home you can jack up the hub without wheels to an estimated position and torque the nut. Since you probably do it on one side at a time the swaybar link needs to be unconnected. This way is equally good. My point is that we need to “reset” the torsion in the bushings. This also applies to the rear axle points with rubber bushings.
Thanks for the update Samuel. I have a friend who is a BMW tech and he confirms loosening the control arm bolt is going to save a lot of effort in that one need not fight with the torsioned control arm. He also said that the arm only need be level when the bolt is re-torqued, along with confirming it can be done with a jack while the car is on jack stands. In general, with the car on jack stands, the front rides a little higher. Would you say ideally the should be level when attempting to re-level the front control arms?
      05-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #203
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Quote:
"Car on the ground" may not be the best words choosen. We have the car leveled on the lift on the wheels and can stand underneath and torque the bolts like the car is on the ground. I'm sorry for my bad english.

To make this at home you can jack up the hub without wheels to an estimated position and torque the nut. Since you probably do it on one side at a time the swaybar link needs to be unconnected. This way is equally good. My point is that we need to "reset" the torsion in the bushings. This also applies to the rear axle points with rubber bushings.
Thanks for the update Samuel. I have a friend who is a BMW tech and he confirms loosening the control arm bolt is going to save a lot of effort in that one need not fight with the torsioned control arm. He also said that the arm only need be level when the bolt is re-torqued, along with confirming it can be done with a jack while the car is on jack stands. In general, with the car on jack stands, the front rides a little higher. Would you say ideally the should be level when attempting to re-level the front control arms?
To do this by the book take a measuring tape and record the distance between the fender and the center of the hub with the car on the ground. Replicate that distance using the floor jack under the hub. An approximation is fine.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:54 AM   #204
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
To do this by the book take a measuring tape and record the distance between the fender and the center of the hub with the car on the ground. Replicate that distance using the floor jack under the hub. An approximation is fine.
Do I need to remove the belly pan to get access to the control arm bolt? Or can I loosen the screws of the belly pan closest the control arm?
      05-31-2021, 01:50 PM   #205
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Quote:
Do I need to remove the belly pan to get access to the control arm bolt? Or can I loosen the screws of the belly pan closest the control arm?
Just moving the fender liner should be sufficient.
      05-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #206
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can remove the screws around the control arms but the panels that are most in the way are the plastic trays that connect the bumper to the underlining. Removing those makes access to the TS bolts much easier.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #207
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have done this at least 50-times so here the best way I found out. Every time I’m tempted to try to get the job done quickly by not removing the strut. But trust me. It will take more time with all struggling with springs and spring compression tool in that tight space.

Below written from memory and could be faulty so please follow it with care. And be sure you have a proper spring compressor tool, it is dangerous and always a risk to compress springs.

1. Pop the hood and put masking tape around the +connector above the top mount on the right side. You will be very close to with your tools later so be carful to not make shortcircuit between + and the body.

2. Put the car on jackstands so both front wheels in in the air. If you only raise one side at a time you will have problems with removing the swaybar links.

3. Remove front wheels.

4. Loosen the height sensor that is attached to the left control arm.

If you have M2, M3 or M4 continue to point 7 below.
5. Remove enough plastic covers underneath so you can reach the inner control arm bolt.

6. Loosen the nut on the inner control arm bolt. Just enough so there is no preload on the bolt. Do not remove completely.

7. Remove the swaybar link in the strut (leave it connected to the swaybar.)

8. Put a wood piece on your jack and pump up on the front disc just until it touch.

9. Loosen the brake hose and ABS sensor cable from the sheet metal. Only one point of each hose/cable needs to be removed. Just so the canle will be longer. Take photos before this so you can remember how the cables goes around the strut.

10. Remove the strut bolt completely.

11. Put some tool in the gap where the strut is clamped so you can expand the gap.

12. Lower the jack slowly and let the strut slide out from the carrier. Continue until it fall out completely. Push the strut towards the engine and make sure the carrier will not till too much so it will stretch the brake hose.

13. Hold the strut and remove the top mount from above. 3 or 5 bolts. (Not the damper nut)

14. Put the complete strut in a vice and clamp in the swaybar link bracket.

To be continued....
Was there a part 2 coming?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #208
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Uninstalled mine to sell the car and the helicoil type thread adapter pulled out. Not sure how to fix this, no way is that coil going back in. might have some expensive paperweights now.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #209
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
Uninstalled mine to sell the car and the helicoil type thread adapter pulled out. Not sure how to fix this, no way is that coil going back in. might have some expensive paperweights now.

So BMW used to have an M10 bolt for the top hat before they switched to an M8 bolt, right?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0950
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #210
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
So BMW used to have an M10 bolt for the top hat before they switched to an M8 bolt, right?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0950
https://www.millway.se/thread-lockin...-function.html

Millway sells replacements.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      06-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #211
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Millway Camber Plates

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post

Nice I need to get mine in for an alignment still. I'm running them in the stock position still since I haven't been able to figure out a time to drop my car for balancing. Looking forward to what specs you run!
I only drive the car a handful of times a month at this point so this is what I am aiming for.

F c= -2.9 toe= 0
R c= -1.9 toe= -1/8"~

See how that goes until it has an LSD.
Here we are almost two years and about 6500 miles later and the driver side bearing is clunking away like mad. The car lives in Manhattan now so between that and riding exit curbs they held up for about as long as I anticipated.

Ordering the Street bearing replacement kit for install next month and will report back then.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #212
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Here we are almost two years and about 6500 miles later and the driver side bearing is clunking away like mad. The car lives in Manhattan now so between that and riding exit curbs they held up for about as long as I anticipated.

Ordering the Street bearing replacement kit for install next month and will report back then.
If it's going to be a long wait for the street retrofit (I've heard of others complaining about the lead times lately), I have some housings (the part that slides to adjust camber and holds the monoball) with brand new monoballs I can send you. We can work out something like you buy them from me, I send to you, you ship me your original housings w/worn bearings, and then I'll refund you minus the cost of new bearings/replacement. This way you can have minimal down time.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #213
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
If it's going to be a long wait for the street retrofit (I've heard of others complaining about the lead times lately), I have some housings (the part that slides to adjust camber and holds the monoball) with brand new monoballs I can send you. We can work out something like you buy them from me, I send to you, you ship me your original housings w/worn bearings, and then I'll refund you minus the cost of new bearings/replacement. This way you can have minimal down time.
That's a very generous offer, Farkle, I really appreciate that.

I shot out a message to Samuel after I placed my order asking about expected lead time and he said he hopes to have an estimate by this weekend. If that lead time is super long I will shoot you a PM and we can go from there. In any event, thank you.

I am stuck running these ones on July 3rd at Lime Rock either way so hopefully I won't have any issues.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      06-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #214
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I shot out a message to Samuel after I placed my order asking about expected lead time and he said he hopes to have an estimate by this weekend. If that lead time is super long I will shoot you a PM and we can go from there. In any event, thank you.

I am stuck running these ones on July 3rd at Lime Rock either way so hopefully I won't have any issues.
I have a street camber plate order in with Millway as well. I'm also waiting for the new Ohlins R&T kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #215
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have a street camber plate order in with Millway as well. I'm also waiting for the new Ohlins R&T kit.
We'll have to see how much longer my V2s last with custom rates, hoping the new Ohlins kit is available at that point.

How long ago did you order your plates?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:33 AM   #216
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
We'll have to see how much longer my V2s last with custom rates, hoping the new Ohlins kit is available at that point.

Maybe a week ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #217
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Have anyone of you guys put in your orders for the new ohlins xdrive kit?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #218
nadefade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FYI - I ordered the street plates on Tuesday and they shipped today
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #219
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadefade View Post
Yup, mine shipped today as well. Received a notification from UPS.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #220
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadefade View Post
Yup, mine shipped today as well. Received a notification from UPS.
Just heard mine are shipping tomorrow or Thursday. As always, Samuel & Millway come through.

Can't wait to get these on.

FaRKle! Thanks again for extending a hand!
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50