F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #243
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
2626
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think it's a legitimate complaint. I would take the Explorer over the Charger or Crown Victoria any day. I also didn't quite understand the business case for moving to the Charger when we hadn't even been equipped with the Explorer for that long. Some stations are still phasing out the Crown Vic's. My current department has very few Chargers relative to my previous department; most are used for unmarked duty or are driven by brass. My previous department has a bunch of Chargers used for daily patrol. Getting in and out of that Charger is a pain in the ass, and the aforementioned visibility blows. I would have to talk to the fleet guys to really get a handle on the Charger's mechanical durability. I know we beat the crap out of the Ford products, and they keep going and going; I wish the Vic's would stop. Lol!

My best friend and my brother are both in Chargers. My brother loves it....but really hasn't had anything else to compare it with. Plus he's a Dodge guy.

My best friend however hates it as he's a big guy. But he's getting ready to go into K9, so he's as excited about a different vehicle as he is doing something different in the department!
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport , 3:73 Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8, 1M Mirrors, LCI Blacklines

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #244
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think it's a legitimate complaint. I would take the Explorer over the Charger or Crown Victoria any day. I also didn't quite understand the business case for moving to the Charger when we hadn't even been equipped with the Explorer for that long. Some stations are still phasing out the Crown Vic's. My current department has very few Chargers relative to my previous department; most are used for unmarked duty or are driven by brass. My previous department has a bunch of Chargers used for daily patrol. Getting in and out of that Charger is a pain in the ass, and the aforementioned visibility blows. I would have to talk to the fleet guys to really get a handle on the Charger's mechanical durability. I know we beat the crap out of the Ford products, and they keep going and going; I wish the Vic's would stop. Lol!

My best friend and my brother are both in Chargers. My brother loves it....but really hasn't had anything else to compare it with. Plus he's a Dodge guy.

My best friend however hates it as he's a big guy. But he's getting ready to go into K9, so he's as excited about a different vehicle as he is doing something different in the department!
That makes sense. Physical size also makes a difference when discussing ingress/egress. The bigger you are, the more you'll dislike the Charger; I'm not a super big guy at 5'10 and 188 lbs. The more gear you carry on your person, the more you appreciate space.

Side note: we recently were authorized to wear the redesigned BDU-style uniforms (...cargo pants and a new lightweight, breathable shirt) that are commmmfffyyyyyyy! Couple the new uniform with a nylon duty belt/components, and patrol is so much more comfortable.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt2625.50

      11-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #245
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
8824
Rep
7,909
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

We still have half our fleet as Crown Vic, if u need a few. None of them have a mobile in them any more

I'm glad they picked some Explorers so I can still use the same keys I've had for 15 years
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #246
M3 Number 86
Major General
2993
Rep
6,123
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
When they rolled up I was under the car and based on the conversation I thought it was my friends neighbor stopping by.

My friend goes hey Phil come and meet them. I get out from under the car and it's two cops LOL. Then we just spoke about our cars and his cars and our mods.

Should we all go for a canyon cruise once?
I'm totally down...........but not Angeles Crest. My CHP buddies love to issue citations there.
Yeah but we'd be with you!! Lol
__________________
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-11-2019, 01:51 AM   #247
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
We still have half our fleet as Crown Vic, if u need a few. None of them have a mobile in them any more

I'm glad they picked some Explorers so I can still use the same keys I've had for 15 years
It's funny how the keys open every car in the fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
When they rolled up I was under the car and based on the conversation I thought it was my friends neighbor stopping by.

My friend goes hey Phil come and meet them. I get out from under the car and it's two cops LOL. Then we just spoke about our cars and his cars and our mods.

Should we all go for a canyon cruise once?
I'm totally down...........but not Angeles Crest. My CHP buddies love to issue citations there.
Yeah but we'd be with you!! Lol
That's a good point!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #248
M3PGH
Major
United_States
320
Rep
1,022
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA

iTrader: (1)

Does windshield tint alert you more than just side windows? More reason to pull that person over? Seems it throws officers off more in my area as I've been pulled a few times
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #249
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2006
Rep
750
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Here's one, and I apologize if it's been covered earlier.

If you're setup checking cars' speeds with radar and/or laser and one of the cars hits their brakes, whether or not you got an excess speed reading on them, are the brake lights an admission of guilt?
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #250
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
Does windshield tint alert you more than just side windows? More reason to pull that person over? Seems it throws officers off more in my area as I've been pulled a few times
Tinted windows are common, so it doesn't alert us more in the sense that there's some obvious reaction to a car with tinted windows. What does occur is subconscious; if I can't see into the car I naturally become more cautious. A car with an obvious infraction just makes it easier to develop reasonable suspicion to effect a traffic stop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Here's one, and I apologize if it's been covered earlier.

If you're setup checking cars' speeds with radar and/or laser and one of the cars hits their brakes, whether or not you got an excess speed reading on them, are the brake lights an admission of guilt?
No. Also keep in mind that we've already clocked you long before you actually see us, so braking really is immaterial, and we can't see the brake lights anyway.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #251
colorado.e9x
Entrepreneur
colorado.e9x's Avatar
United_States
295
Rep
984
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

iTrader: (0)

The question I'm about to ask I already have and answer to but a small lack of understanding.

I was recently driving around at night when a pretty good snow storm (was basically a blizzard) hit. My lights being Xenon did not help my visibility at all. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you on low lit roads. At this point I pulled over for just a moment, put my fogs on and turned my lights to parking lights. Also keep my halos for being halos are pretty damn bright, they illuminate things in front of it a good amount. I noticed I can see a lot better without my high or low beams on. This brought up the idea.. I find it somewhat silly that having high/low beams off at night in a situation like this is still illegal. I think my pretty bright halos in conjunction with bright yellow fog lights should be enough, and I can always turn on the low beams when I see a car approaching.
For legal reasons I won't do this, unless there's a way around it.. Which I doubt
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:23 AM   #252
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
The question I'm about to ask I already have and answer to but a small lack of understanding.

I was recently driving around at night when a pretty good snow storm (was basically a blizzard) hit. My lights being Xenon did not help my visibility at all. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you on low lit roads. At this point I pulled over for just a moment, put my fogs on and turned my lights to parking lights. Also keep my halos for being halos are pretty damn bright, they illuminate things in front of it a good amount. I noticed I can see a lot better without my high or low beams on. This brought up the idea.. I find it somewhat silly that having high/low beams off at night in a situation like this is still illegal. I think my pretty bright halos in conjunction with bright yellow fog lights should be enough, and I can always turn on the low beams when I see a car approaching.
For legal reasons I won't do this, unless there's a way around it.. Which I doubt
I agree that in certain inclement conditions like heavy fog or whiteout, low/high beam headlights reflect light and cause worsening visibility. Certain cars have alternative lighting that does, indeed, perform better in those conditions, but the California Vehicle Code - or any state's vehicle code - is written to cover all cars comprehensively. You'd be cited for a violation of CVC 24250 if you drove without your headlights in operation in California (...which carries a fine, a point and a potential license suspension, but the latter is unlikely under most circumstances), even with good intent and/or a reasonable explanation.....


....or maybe the officer would just warn you and advise you to turn on your headlights absent any other issues.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #253
colorado.e9x
Entrepreneur
colorado.e9x's Avatar
United_States
295
Rep
984
Posts

Drives: 06 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
The question I'm about to ask I already have and answer to but a small lack of understanding.

I was recently driving around at night when a pretty good snow storm (was basically a blizzard) hit. My lights being Xenon did not help my visibility at all. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you on low lit roads. At this point I pulled over for just a moment, put my fogs on and turned my lights to parking lights. Also keep my halos for being halos are pretty damn bright, they illuminate things in front of it a good amount. I noticed I can see a lot better without my high or low beams on. This brought up the idea.. I find it somewhat silly that having high/low beams off at night in a situation like this is still illegal. I think my pretty bright halos in conjunction with bright yellow fog lights should be enough, and I can always turn on the low beams when I see a car approaching.
For legal reasons I won't do this, unless there's a way around it.. Which I doubt
I agree that in certain inclement conditions like heavy fog or whiteout, low/high beam headlights reflect light and cause worsening visibility. Certain cars have alternative lighting that does, indeed, perform better in those conditions, but the California Vehicle Code - or any state's vehicle code - is written to cover all cars comprehensively. You'd be cited for a violation of CVC 24250 if you drove without your headlights in operation in California (...which carries a fine, a point and a potential license suspension, but the latter is unlikely under most circumstances), even with good intent and/or a reasonable explanation.....


....or maybe the officer would just warn you and advise you to turn on your headlights absent any other issues.
I'll have to look into this with Colorado. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-13-2019, 01:00 AM   #254
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
2988
Rep
2,304
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
I know of someone who was a police officer in the city of Sacramento around the 90’s and he mentioned that he quit after he shot/killed a suspect. He didn’t get into too much detail but it was either the suspect or him who would get shot. That shooting rattled him and forced him into depression and guilt.

You have probably answered this already but have you engaged in deadly fire and if so, have you killed/wounded anyone? Every officer handles shooting differently, however, how did you take it if you were involved?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #255
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I know of someone who was a police officer in the city of Sacramento around the 90's and he mentioned that he quit after he shot/killed a suspect. He didn't get into too much detail but it was either the suspect or him who would get shot. That shooting rattled him and forced him into depression and guilt.

You have probably answered this already but have you engaged in deadly fire and if so, have you killed/wounded anyone? Every officer handles shooting differently, however, how did you take it if you were involved?
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past, and it is not a pleasant situation to be in whatsoever. If you've never been shot at - and I would wager that nobody/very few here [outside of the other cops/military on the forum] have unless members of Bimmerpost regularly engage in gang activity - it is downright scary, especially if/when it's rifle fire. Most ceramic armor plates are good for one round from an AR/AK, and a level IV rifle armor plate can typically hold up to a round from a .30.08 when coupled with a level IIIA concealable vest; poly or steel can handle multiple AR/AK rounds, but they are heavier, so most officers use ceramic. The odds suck!!! With that said, I feel for your friend. Shootings do, indeed, affect members of law enforcement differently, and some people do react very emotionally to shooting/killing someone. Fortunately I am not the type of person who would experience any emotional struggle if I killed someone who has/had every intention on ending my life.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt2625.50

      11-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #256
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
2626
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past, and it is not a pleasant situation to be in whatsoever. If you've never been shot at - and I would wager that nobody/very few here [outside of the other cops/military on the forum] have unless members of Bimmerpost regularly engage in gang activity - it is downright scary, especially if/when it's rifle fire. Most ceramic armor plates are good for one round from an AR/AK, and a level IV rifle armor plate can typically hold up to a round from a .30.08 when coupled with a level IIIA concealable vest; poly or steel can handle multiple AR/AK rounds, but they are heavier, so most officers use ceramic. The odds suck!!! With that said, I feel for your friend. Shootings do, indeed, affect members of law enforcement differently, and some people do react very emotionally to shooting/killing someone. Fortunately I am not the type of person who would experience any emotional struggle if I killed someone who has/had every intention on ending my life.

I would feel the same way...if it's me or them...then I am doing everything I can to come out on top.

I have been shot before (Not Gang Related, but stupid Bar shit) and it isn't fun at all even when it is not a life threatening injury.
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport , 3:73 Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8, 1M Mirrors, LCI Blacklines

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #257
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2006
Rep
750
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
...stupid Bar shit...
That's redundant.

I "wised-up" after the 3rd occasion when I heard shots and everyone dove under tables and stampeded for the doors. Thankfully, I don't have any "involuntary piercings." Hopefully you healed up okay.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 2
Rmtt2625.50
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #258
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
2626
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
That's redundant.

I "wised-up" after the 3rd occasion when I heard shots and everyone dove under tables and stampeded for the doors. Thankfully, I don't have any "involuntary piercings." Hopefully you healed up okay.
Yeah....I had a guy that picked a fight with me the night before it happened over something stupid, and he happened to not be as skilled as he thought. I ended it quickly, but nothing excessive like stomping on his head or anything, and thought that was it.

The next night as I was coming out of the same place, he was waiting on me and shot me. Good thing he was a bad aim. He was on the ground and I was on the deck coming down, so the bullet entered my left hip just 2" below my waist. Knocked my leg out from under me and bruised my entire hip.

Doctors told me that there were so many nerves in that area, that if he tried to cut it out I could end up with a permanent limp. So I still have the slug in me. When I had an X-Ray about 1 month later....it had already developed scar tissue around it and the Dr. said it wasn't going anywhere.

I won't lie...it changes you. Up to that point, I thought I was superman as I had a pretty bad upbringing. My dad was a boxer, so he had me fighting pretty early.

After that, I toned it down a lot and started avoiding situations that could get me into trouble.
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport , 3:73 Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8, 1M Mirrors, LCI Blacklines

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #259
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
That's redundant.

I "wised-up" after the 3rd occasion when I heard shots and everyone dove under tables and stampeded for the doors. Thankfully, I don't have any "involuntary piercings." Hopefully you healed up okay.
Yeah....I had a guy that picked a fight with me the night before it happened over something stupid, and he happened to not be as skilled as he thought. I ended it quickly, but nothing excessive like stomping on his head or anything, and thought that was it.

The next night as I was coming out of the same place, he was waiting on me and shot me. Good thing he was a bad aim. He was on the ground and I was on the deck coming down, so the bullet entered my left hip just 2" below my waist. Knocked my leg out from under me and bruised my entire hip.

Doctors told me that there were so many nerves in that area, that if he tried to cut it out I could end up with a permanent limp. So I still have the slug in me. When I had an X-Ray about 1 month later....it had already developed scar tissue around it and the Dr. said it wasn't going anywhere.

I won't lie...it changes you. Up to that point, I thought I was superman as I had a pretty bad upbringing. My dad was a boxer, so he had me fighting pretty early.

After that, I toned it down a lot and started avoiding situations that could get me into trouble.
Damn man. That is intense. I'm glad you survived that situation. There's a really valid message buried within your story, and it is this: many people can't take an honest ass whooping these days, and winning a fight will likely result in the person who lost the fight coming back with a firearm the "level" things out. Being a proficient fighter has a 50/50 chance of exacerbating an altercation, so verbal diffusion is probably the best approach when possible (...and I acknowledge that it isn't always an option).
Appreciate 2
Rmtt2625.50

      11-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #260
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2006
Rep
750
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Damn man. That is intense. I'm glad you survived that situation. There's a really valid message buried within your story, and it is this: many people can't take an honest ass whooping these days, and winning a fight will likely result in the person who lost the fight coming back with a firearm the "level" things out. Being a proficient fighter has a 50/50 chance of exacerbating an altercation, so verbal diffusion is probably the best approach when possible (...and I acknowledge that it isn't always an option).
Best to just walk away. To your car. Drive home - within the speed limits, of course - and stay there 'til you cool down.
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 2
Rmtt2625.50
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #261
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
2626
Rep
1,775
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Damn man. That is intense. I'm glad you survived that situation. There's a really valid message buried within your story, and it is this: many people can't take an honest ass whooping these days, and winning a fight will likely result in the person who lost the fight coming back with a firearm the "level" things out. Being a proficient fighter has a 50/50 chance of exacerbating an altercation, so verbal diffusion is probably the best approach when possible (...and I acknowledge that it isn't always an option).
I agree completely. It's not like it was 20 years ago when you settled things and then dropped them....people these days want to get even. I don't want to have to be looking over my back constantly.

After this, I stopped boxing (outgrew my weight class) and picked up Aikido. That really helped with my "Type A" personality...plus later on as I started teaching it, we taught a lot of the LE in our area. Some of the stories I would hear from them just reinforced my ideas that people these days are crazy.

That event and then eventually becoming a parent changed my entire outlook. I go out of my way to avoid trouble, and found out I was pretty good at diffusing situations. I can read people pretty easily. You can tell by someone's eyes and posture if they are a talker or a fighter within 30 seconds or less.

I would only do that kind of stuff now as a last resort like my family or myself in harms way.

That's why I respect you guys so much. You have to deal with it on a daily basis. When younger I couldn't deal with somebody "mouthy". Now I can just walk away. But you still have a job to do so it isn't that simple.

My brother had so many people telling him that if they had to do it again now, they wouldn't bother as times have changed. They thought him crazy for wanting to get into LE during this age.

You guys are human and have bad days like the rest of us, but you have to "swallow" it and do your job objectively.

My daughter while in college (Medical Field) was engaged to the Coroners nephew. His dad also trained the SWAT team in our area. But she did sort of an internship with his uncle one summer. The stories I heard were just horrible and sad...it makes you question what are people becoming. I know it's a small part of the population, but that part is what you guys deal with on a regular basis.

So I don't take it lightly when I say I appreciate your service.
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport , 3:73 Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8, 1M Mirrors, LCI Blacklines

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4167.00

      11-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #262
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Damn man. That is intense. I'm glad you survived that situation. There's a really valid message buried within your story, and it is this: many people can't take an honest ass whooping these days, and winning a fight will likely result in the person who lost the fight coming back with a firearm the "level" things out. Being a proficient fighter has a 50/50 chance of exacerbating an altercation, so verbal diffusion is probably the best approach when possible (...and I acknowledge that it isn't always an option).
I agree completely. It's not like it was 20 years ago when you settled things and then dropped them....people these days want to get even. I don't want to have to be looking over my back constantly.

After this, I stopped boxing (outgrew my weight class) and picked up Aikido. That really helped with my "Type A" personality...plus later on as I started teaching it, we taught a lot of the LE in our area. Some of the stories I would hear from them just reinforced my ideas that people these days are crazy.

That event and then eventually becoming a parent changed my entire outlook. I go out of my way to avoid trouble, and found out I was pretty good at diffusing situations. I can read people pretty easily. You can tell by someone's eyes and posture if they are a talker or a fighter within 30 seconds or less.

I would only do that kind of stuff now as a last resort like my family or myself in harms way.

That's why I respect you guys so much. You have to deal with it on a daily basis. When younger I couldn't deal with somebody "mouthy". Now I can just walk away. But you still have a job to do so it isn't that simple.

My brother had so many people telling him that if they had to do it again now, they wouldn't bother as times have changed. They thought him crazy for wanting to get into LE during this age.

You guys are human and have bad days like the rest of us, but you have to "swallow" it and do your job objectively.

My daughter while in college (Medical Field) was engaged to the Coroners nephew. His dad also trained the SWAT team in our area. But she did sort of an internship with his uncle one summer. The stories I heard were just horrible and sad...it makes you question what are people becoming. I know it's a small part of the population, but that part is what you guys deal with on a regular basis.

So I don't take it lightly when I say I appreciate your service.
I appreciate that. People should read your post a few times and really let it digest. People at home relaxing in the comfort of their living room couches while critiquing police (...which is warranted sometimes) think this job is easy, and it's far from it.

Good on you for teaching LE the arts. Krav Maga and BJJ (..often practiced while wearing a vest, duty belt and gun that has been rendered incapable of discharging a bullet) are two really common/efficient arts that we train regularly. I've always liked Aikido as well.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt2625.50
scostu1170.50

      11-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #263
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
3523
Rep
2,003
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past
ugh
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #264
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4167
Rep
15,567
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I have exchanged gunfire with criminals in the past
ugh
Life starts flashing before your eyes at a fast pace during such an intense moment.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST