F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Transmission jerk/hesitation
GetBMWParts

12-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
egrimisu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 420xd 190HP

Transmission jerk/hesitation

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is normal but when i accelerate in the first gear just before the car is switching in the 2nd gear I have some kind of hesitation like in the in the lower video, between 24s-30s. The rpm is increasing the stops for a moment then continues to increase. This is visible only when shifting from the first gear to the second and less visible from 2nd to 3rd.

Other symptoms that i have:
1. Downshifting is not as smooth it used to be, when the car downshifts I can feel how the engine tries to accelerate a bit. Exactly like when you are driving manual transmission car ans you downshift but you release to quickly the clutch pedal, you feel a jerk.

2. When slowing down just around stopping the car (8 mph) the car shifts from the 2nd gear to the 1st one, which is normal, but, when i accelerate i feel a small hit/jerk. This happens from time to time. Never happens when I completely stop the car, but this is not possible all the time, sometime you slow down and then you need to take off.

3. I feel that the care does not have the same power it used to have, when in low rpm, pushing the gas will cause the engine to vibrate a bit just before the turbo kicks in. Maybe this is normal with engine wear but i'm not sure. I don't know anybody else with the same engine.

No errors related to the transmission, I have attached the logs that I downloaded with bimmerlink

Went to see the dealer, they say there is nothing wrong with the car but it runs like shit. Really disappointes in BMW for a 65k euros car. I feel more passionate to drive my old 2006 Opel Corsa that has 165k miles. What a joke BMW is...

Car historic:
28000km EGR valve was replace in warranty
35000km EGR radiator were both faulty, causing severe damage to the intake manifold. All got replaced in warranty.

420xd 190hp
Around 30k miles (50k km)

What do you think?
In February the warranty will expire and i'm a bit stressed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Info memory-22-12-2018.pdf (24.4 KB, 515 views)
File Type: pdf Error memory-22-12-2018.pdf (16.5 KB, 211 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Try doing the transmission reset:
* Press the start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
* Press the accelerator down to the floor for at least 5 sec.
* Hit start button once to turn off power
* Remove foot from accelerator
* Wait for min. 2 minutes
* Start the engine and drive

The other day I started to get an insanely harsh 5-4 shift. Did the above, and everything is butter smooth again.
Appreciate 1
Bxrger73.50
      12-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Try doing the transmission reset:
* Press the start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
* Press the accelerator down to the floor for at least 5 sec.
* Hit start button once to turn off power
* Remove foot from accelerator
* Wait for min. 2 minutes
* Start the engine and drive

The other day I started to get an insanely harsh 5-4 shift. Did the above, and everything is butter smooth again.
I tried this multiple times, never made any difference. Never. I think it's only placebo.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hmmm, it's not a placebo, the car does learn your driving habits and shifts accordingly. After the winter, mine has a lot of lazy shifts due to more cautious driving. It will slowly migrate to match a more aggressive driving style in the summer. The reset just puts it back to square one, and it starts learning again.

Only other advice would be to have the transmission fluid changed. If it is an issue with the transmission, the fluid removed will tell a lot of the story.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, it's not a placebo, the car does learn your driving habits and shifts accordingly. After the winter, mine has a lot of lazy shifts due to more cautious driving. It will slowly migrate to match a more aggressive driving style in the summer. The reset just puts it back to square one, and it starts learning again.

Only other advice would be to have the transmission fluid changed. If it is an issue with the transmission, the fluid removed will tell a lot of the story.
I have tried to reset it multiple times and I never saw any difference, who knows, maybe I'm driving not to sport and not to loose.

The car has 2.5 years and 30k miles, I'm just not sure I need to change it. It would cost around 800€ , 1000$ here in France and I think it would be a waste.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I appreciate that.

Try another dealer and see what they say?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate that.

Try another dealer and see what they say?
Went to see 2 dealers, all the same. These guys here in France are real pros... in changing the oil and pretty much that's it. This is the first place I joined the forum, wanted help from others.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

I have almost the same symptoms. The car is super jerky in traffic and the downshifts are definitely harsher than when I first bought the car. I've been to the dealer many times and they are claiming it's normal. They "reset" the trans each time and it's usually smoother for the next few days. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe the dealer knows something I don't and is waiting until my warranty is up to mention the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
I have almost the same symptoms. The car is super jerky in traffic and the downshifts are definitely harsher than when I first bought the car. I've been to the dealer many times and they are claiming it's normal. They "reset" the trans each time and it's usually smoother for the next few days. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe the dealer knows something I don't and is waiting until my warranty is up to mention the problem.
Just great. It seems that we have the same problem. How many km do you have and what engine?

I bought an automatic transmission to comfort the traffic and now it's unpleasant to drive in those conditions anymore.

Can you download your errors and share them with me? I'm really curious if we have the same errors.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrimisu View Post
Quote:
Just great. It seems that we have the same problem. How many km do you have and what engine?

I bought an automatic transmission to comfort the traffic and now it's unpleasant to drive in those conditions anymore.

Can you download your errors and share them with me? I'm really curious if we have the same errors.
Just turned 40,000 miles today. These are the codes I currently have. The mixture too lean is due to the dinan intake. I occasionally get a check engine light for it. There are many other errors that come up in bimmerlink but not with my foxwell scanner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just turned 40,000 miles today. These are the codes I currently have. The mixture too lean is due to the dinan intake. I occasionally get a check engine light for it. There are many other errors that come up in bimmerlink but not with my foxwell scanner.
This is what both have:

4827F9: QDM-SKR - Korrekturfaktor Radradius - Lernbedingung
24827F8: QDM-SKR - Korrekturfaktor Radradius - Lernbedingung
1482651: Schwimmwinkelschätzer - Inputs nicht gültig SBS
4827B3: Steuergerät intern - Undervoltage at Terminal30
480AB5: Verteilergetriebe Langzeitschutzfunktion vom LMV angefordert

101008: nicht auflösbares uneindeutiges Routing - SG nicht in der SVT Soll Tabelle100600: Flexray Protokoll Startup Zeit ist zu hoch
100104: HW Weckgrund ZGW
100204: Botschaftsueberwachung: Systemkontextsignal ausgeblieben

I'm only concerned about this one which is related to the 480AB5. Someone here on the forum stated that it has to do with a failing Transfer Case and that the symptoms are similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Severe_Islexdia
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Competition DCT

I created an account just to respond to this thread- Im having the same identical problem with hard shifting out of first regardless of how little gas I'm giving it. Haven't done anything to try to solve it. Im not throwing any codes though.

Has anyone received any news about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:34 AM   #13
GreepM
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2019 F31 LCI

Hi I've got same feeling about my 330i produced in march this year. My father has 530i same engine afaik same transmission and doesn't have the feeling.
Shifting around 3rd to 2nd to 1st to 2nd to 3rd is terrible. It's usually in 90 degrees corners or in the traffic, I've learned because it's a petrol engine not you must be very gentle on gas, or put it in sport mode because it will not upshift too early so you won't go on 1000rpm which is btw crazy on thi petrol engine.

So in sport turn on traction or dtc off because it will let you pull the gas through the corner.

Also eco pro is better than comfort because it will not allow so much gas to the transmission is not confused.

Finally I'm now shifting by my own with tranction or dtc off and it's go like normal car. btw im getting consumption below 8 and with manual I had almost 9. Just shifting like petrol car up shifts 2000-3000 always have power to do quick move in the traffic etc.

Problems were automatic down shifts from 3rd to 2nd and to much gears to shift but I used to it. Basically using 3rd to 5th gear in a town. Seventh always maximum 8th only on higways. Still sometimes 2nd surprise me in automatic downshift, but it's like it is((

But still want to see dealer with this issue because when your car downshifts when you braking to the slow corner then you hit the pedal on the exit and transmission is like hmm should I go on 3rd or 4th aaah padal is pressed for one millimeter more I would go on 2nd and car jumps to revs etc... really stupid

DTC off and manual shifting looks like best way now, my problem is adaptive suspension so im using just traction so there is no restriction when you hit the pedal when your wheel are turned left or right Plus looking forward to chip my transmission an mainly gas pedal so when I push it it will open the flap like old fashioned cars
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:59 AM   #14
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe_Islexdia View Post
I created an account just to respond to this thread- Im having the same identical problem with hard shifting out of first regardless of how little gas I'm giving it. Haven't done anything to try to solve it. Im not throwing any codes though.

Has anyone received any news about this?
I had the exact same issue, it was the EGR who should be replaced by the dealer even if out of warranty! Get a visit and let us know if that fixed it!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:01 AM   #15
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreepM View Post
Hi I've got same feeling about my 330i produced in march this year. My father has 530i same engine afaik same transmission and doesn't have the feeling.
Shifting around 3rd to 2nd to 1st to 2nd to 3rd is terrible. It's usually in 90 degrees corners or in the traffic, I've learned because it's a petrol engine not you must be very gentle on gas, or put it in sport mode because it will not upshift too early so you won't go on 1000rpm which is btw crazy on thi petrol engine.

So in sport turn on traction or dtc off because it will let you pull the gas through the corner.

Also eco pro is better than comfort because it will not allow so much gas to the transmission is not confused.

Finally I'm now shifting by my own with tranction or dtc off and it's go like normal car. btw im getting consumption below 8 and with manual I had almost 9. Just shifting like petrol car up shifts 2000-3000 always have power to do quick move in the traffic etc.

Problems were automatic down shifts from 3rd to 2nd and to much gears to shift but I used to it. Basically using 3rd to 5th gear in a town. Seventh always maximum 8th only on higways. Still sometimes 2nd surprise me in automatic downshift, but it's like it is((

But still want to see dealer with this issue because when your car downshifts when you braking to the slow corner then you hit the pedal on the exit and transmission is like hmm should I go on 3rd or 4th aaah padal is pressed for one millimeter more I would go on 2nd and car jumps to revs etc... really stupid

DTC off and manual shifting looks like best way now, my problem is adaptive suspension so im using just traction so there is no restriction when you hit the pedal when your wheel are turned left or right Plus looking forward to chip my transmission an mainly gas pedal so when I push it it will open the flap like old fashioned cars
I have a 420xd luxury an a 120d sport, both 2016. The 120d ru s smoother than the 420xd. I got used to it. I think that every car is unique.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #16
Saroo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Hi did anyone ever get to the bottom of this or find a solution?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 02:33 AM   #17
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

I had the same issue except that mine wouldn't switch to gear in cold start. The car is in 95k km so it was obvious that it was due for a trans fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #18
OG83
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport touring F31 2016

Hi - first time joining any kind of forum so apologies in advance if I break any protocols or etiquette!

I’ve just bought a F31 330i touring - manual - 2016 with 77k - one owner - full BMW main dealer service history.

I’ve had it a couple of weeks now. I live in London so haven’t had many occasions to take it past 4000rpm. When I have deployed WOT I’ve noticed similar issues posted on here.

There is a 1 second cut off in the throttle at around 5000rpm when changing from up from 2nd to 3rd and again from 3rd to 4th.

I’ve had the spark plugs changed and the garage I bought it from are changing the coil packs next week.

He’s plugged it in and there are no error codes whatsoever. Car seems immaculate.

I’ve also felt like when I first get to 4th gear - there can also be that 1 second cut in throttle power.

This only happens when I floor it. It drives superbly otherwise and I’m very happy with it.

I bought from RCC in London. The guy Pres seemed to really know his BMW’s and is totally perplexed by this issue. He has tried to suggest its an engine safety thing but it doesn’t happen every time and I just don’t buy that.

I’d love to know if anyone found a definitive answer to what causes this issue and more importantly how to fix it!

Cheers,
Oli
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:03 AM   #19
jibsf30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hello, any updates from anyone about this issue? I've also been experiencing the SAME exact problems as everyone else here and it's been bothering me a lot. The dealer also told me to do a trans reset, which I've done countless times and it'll run smoother for a bit but go back to the same problem. I heard from another post that doing a trans reset many times isn't good for the car but I don't know how true that is, but it's the only thing I can do at this point to solve the problem for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #20
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

I suggest installing xhp. I had rough shifts. Especially the 2 down to 1 shift. Flashed xhp stage 3 and all shifts are much better, much more predictable. You can also set shift points based on your own personal preferences to prevent bogging in higher gears.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #21
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibsf30 View Post
Hello, any updates from anyone about this issue? I've also been experiencing the SAME exact problems as everyone else here and it's been bothering me a lot. The dealer also told me to do a trans reset, which I've done countless times and it'll run smoother for a bit but go back to the same problem. I heard from another post that doing a trans reset many times isn't good for the car but I don't know how true that is, but it's the only thing I can do at this point to solve the problem for the time being.
DO not know if still relevant, but when I had the issue it was

A- AWD transfer case fail (and it shows esp with gear changes as it cannoit handle the torque
B- ZF recalled, BMW not disclosed failing solenoids on the 8HP45, so it damaged the trans
C- less obvious, off balance front AWD shaft.

I was able to buy an extended warranty, but paid 12,000 for the TC (2021 revision form MS), both driveshafts and solenoids.

With the warranty coming ab it late, it covered trans rebuilt april 2022.

But the baseline, gear stutters and esp turning, AWD TC. That simple. They used to be 900$, supply stealer ships now have it at 5000$ US. And why new Ms have a TC disable button!! to protect the driveline.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #22
Kevinchan6778
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

If you have an XDrive car, from past problems/experience its most likely the transfer case the sends power to the front. I have the same problem, the solution I had was buying x delete and just going rear wheel. It’s a $100 solution but you lose x drive.
Appreciate 0