F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Slightly Urgent: Does anyone experience front end float, play in steering at speed?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Slightly Urgent: Does anyone experience front end float, play in steering at speed?

I am trying to get a case together here to help my dealer diagnose.

I have a 2019 440i xDrive Coupe with Adaptive M Suspension. 18" stock MSport wheels and tires.

The car, at highway speeds around 70-80, feels floaty.

There is some play in the steering, and if I do an evasive maneuver, such as an emergency lane change, the car has insane amounts of body roll, almost feels like its going to flip, Mercedes C300-esque.

If you wiggle the steering wheel at those speeds, the input does nothing, theres at least an inch or dead play.

Overall, at speed, the car does NOT feel planted, and it feels very eager to move around in a way that doesn't feel great.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, did you find a resolution?
      09-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

At high way speeds the steering is less responsive around the dead zone for stability reasons. Blame bmw engineers that design these cars to be relaxing at speed. Body roll on a xdrive, you don’t say. J/k yeah the xdrive suspension sucks. Better mod it. I did within 3 months

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      09-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

I'm just gonna chime in and say it's probably the tires. I didn't feel comfortable on stock RFT's at high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I'm surprised the Adaptive M-Sport Suspension feels that way. What mode do you run the suspension?

When I test drove an xDrive car without the adaptive suspension I found it very floaty with a tendency to bob and roll. However, driving another with the adaptive in sport mode or higher felt planted and drove like I would expect.

I was under the impression the adaptive suspension was the same in AWD and RWD cars. In my car in comfort mode, there isn't much body roll, but occasionally an odd road irregularity will cause a brief moment of a strange sensation I wouldn't expect. However, in sport mode it feels very planted regardless of speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I was under the impression the adaptive suspension was the same in AWD and RWD cars.
nope. RWD adaptive are 10mm drop from base. all xdrive on F30 are higher than base RWD

BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
elbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Has the suspension been checked yet?
Sometimes techs forget to remove shipping blocks during delivery inspection. Ask me how I know
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
nope. RWD adaptive are 10mm drop from base. all xdrive on F30 are higher than base RWD
I knew the base sat higher, but what about xDrive adaptive like the OP has on his car? It still sits 10mm higher than RWD adaptive? Are there different shocks and/or springs?

I was under the impression the adaptive suspension was the equalizer when it came to the RWD and AWD versions of the cars. If not, this might explain why even with adaptive the OP isn't happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I knew the base sat higher, but what about xDrive adaptive like the OP has on his car? It still sits 10mm higher than RWD adaptive? Are there different shocks and/or springs?

I was under the impression the adaptive suspension was the equalizer when it came to the RWD and AWD versions of the cars. If not, this might explain why even with adaptive the OP isn't happy.
yes, xdrive adaptive is higher than RWD base and RWD adaptive. different springs between RWD and xdrive. Springs are different but i think shocks are same. I'd have to double check realoem on that.

I read reviews before buying my car and thought adaptive would be the way to go but having the car for a couple weeks i felt it wasn't what i expected from a BMW

Appreciate 0