F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > PSA: Modified exhausts are no longer fix-it tickets in CA
Studio RSR

01-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #133
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

The problem with this law is that it is so subjective that it gives too much power to the cop that can ruin your day. $1k for the loud exhaust fine + whatever the state ref charges + lost wages for taking time off work to appear in court!!!

This law is supposed to stop “takeovers” and “sideshows”. Maybe in protest we should have an all EV “take over” in front of all the california City Halls in protest. I think there are some S2K and BMW’s with EV conversions as well as Tesla P3D’s with track mode. Heck even a cheap Chevy Spark EV can lay down some burnouts in protest of this stupid law.

That being said if I do run into a “checkpoint”... I’m just going to pull to the side and get a tow truck... if CHP approaches I’m gonna claim “rod bearings” and they can’t force me to start the car ruin my engine more.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #134
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
The problem with this law is that it is so subjective that it gives too much power to the cop that can ruin your day. $1k for the loud exhaust fine + whatever the state ref charges + lost wages for taking time off work to appear in court!!!

This law is supposed to stop “takeovers” and “sideshows”. Maybe in protest we should have an all EV “take over” in front of all the california City Halls in protest. I think there are some S2K and BMW’s with EV conversions as well as Tesla P3D’s with track mode. Heck even a cheap Chevy Spark EV can lay down some burnouts in protest of this stupid law.

That being said if I do run into a “checkpoint”... I’m just going to pull to the side and get a tow truck... if CHP approaches I’m gonna claim “rod bearings” and they can’t force me to start the car ruin my engine more.

I agree, the main thing that bothers me is that each ticket/violation is up to the officers discretion. So if he doesn't like euro/tuner cars or is just in a bad mood he can not give a fuck if you're legit and write you up anyways.

And on the checkpoint issue. Just pull a fuel pump fuse(or something similar so it wont start) and tell them it just broke down and wont turn on lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #135
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post

I agree, the main thing that bothers me is that each ticket/violation is up to the officers discretion. So if he doesn't like euro/tuner cars or is just in a bad mood he can not give a fuck if you're legit and write you up anyways.

And on the checkpoint issue. Just pull a fuel pump fuse(or something similar so it wont start) and tell them it just broke down and wont turn on lol.
Is that fuse under the dash? We need a YouTube diy haha
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #136
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Fuse #70(20 amp) in the fuse panel in the glove box is for the lpfp(n54).
Appreciate 2
PandaM3470.00
IanMan382.50
      01-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #137
T3X4S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 MW M3

Garage List
I don't live in CA. You can hear the officer at the end say they are on a federal grant and have a dozen officers enforcing this.

Last edited by T3X4S; 01-09-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #138
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

You have to take the bad with the good. Here in Texas, specifically Austin, they tried to pass a plastic bag ban. It was in effect for a while, some went to different towns to shop, others used it as an opportunity to steal as you could technically fill a cart with items and leave store, whether you paid or not. So whomever is spending time making and changing these laws in California needs to be sent a message, surely there are more pressing problems in your State they could be focusing on.
Appreciate 1
opihi5214.50
      01-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #139
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

been here 20 years. really don't know how much more i can take.
Appreciate 3
opihi5214.50
IanMan382.50
      01-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #140
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderspider View Post
I guess the question is will they enforce it now that it's a fine, because they didn't enforce it before.
Trust me, they enfornced it before. Id get exhaust tickets pulling into meets not even being loud. The fact that they are relating loud exhausts to takeovers is absurd. My car is full straight piped and I've never been to a takeover, or support them. They dont understand that stock cars can burn rubber in an intersection just as easy as a loud car....its just harder for authorities to be called if the cars are quiet lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #141
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
been here 20 years. really don't know how much more i can take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
Trust me, they enfornced it before. Id get exhaust tickets pulling into meets not even being loud. The fact that they are relating loud exhausts to takeovers is absurd. My car is full straight piped and I've never been to a takeover, or support them. They dont understand that stock cars can burn rubber in an intersection just as easy as a loud car....its just harder for authorities to be called if the cars are quiet lol.
Are all CHIP nasty like that one was...not sure how I would react to such an encounter.

I assume the trooper was talking to the driver the way he was because they were kids or oppositional.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #142
spiderspider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
what is a 'takeover'? like the sideshows they do in oakland?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #143
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I believe so.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #144
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Again, the only difference is the ticket is no longer considered correctable. The actual db or the base law didn't change at all. If you didn't get a ticket last week you probably won't get one this week. Also, if you go to the state referee and your car passes, you send that in via written declaration to the court and it will be dismissed. I've done this twice now in the last decade.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #145
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Video of challenger getting pulled over for exhaust

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsbDaJ-n...=1bdxppnd9zzdd
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #146
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Again, the only difference is the ticket is no longer considered correctable. The actual db or the base law didn't change at all. If you didn't get a ticket last week you probably won't get one this week. Also, if you go to the state referee and your car passes, you send that in via written declaration to the court and it will be dismissed. I've done this twice now in the last decade.
I thought so too, but watch a few videos of people being pulled over for this and they are going after anyone they can. If your car looks modified then there is a chance it might be stopped. They don't even test your sound, they just write it up for being too loud at their discretion, even if you are possibly under the limit.

Even though my car would pass at a REF, who wants to waste their time and money to take a day off work to go to a ref and also pay them, and another day off to go to court, etc.... Total bullshit, they need to have decibel meters otherwise how the fuk can they even enforce it?
Appreciate 1
PandaM3470.00
      01-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #147
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Its exactly a sideshow, same bullshit different name. Bunch of young kids doing stupid shit then crying on social media when Cali passes an exhaust law lol.
      01-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #148
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Honestly many of these cars take it too far. I don't want to hear 370Zs that sound like someone took a 747 engine and ran it through some terrible synthesizer (my best analogy for LOUD but terrible tune/pitch) or base Chargers that all sound like Harleys. These things don't sound good. And 95 DB is LOUD.

On a related note, I also really hate the burble/pop fad. It just sounds like someone is throwing those bang-pops out the window as you drive.
      01-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #149
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I thought so too, but watch a few videos of people being pulled over for this and they are going after anyone they can. If your car looks modified then there is a chance it might be stopped. They don't even test your sound, they just write it up for being too loud at their discretion, even if you are possibly under the limit.

Even though my car would pass at a REF, who wants to waste their time and money to take a day off work to go to a ref and also pay them, and another day off to go to court, etc.... Total bullshit, they need to have decibel meters otherwise how the fuk can they even enforce it?
I share the same concern.. my spare car is not louder than my former F10 Akra used to be.. unfortunately i have the feeling the car will be instantly judged as loud based on looks. Muffler was made to be as stock looking as possible. Pitty to see that us car enthusiasts will be subjected to further harassment.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #150
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
Honestly many of these cars take it too far. I don't want to hear 370Zs that sound like someone took a 747 engine and ran it through some terrible synthesizer (my best analogy for LOUD but terrible tune/pitch) or base Chargers that all sound like Harleys. These things don't sound good. And 95 DB is LOUD.

On a related note, I also really hate the burble/pop fad. It just sounds like someone is throwing those bang-pops out the window as you drive.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you on the whole certain people taking it too far/advantage of the laws, it's the fact that they are/can write them at their discretion without even testing or being sure of anything being illegal or wrong. Now use a decibel meter to check that the guy with an actual muffler delete is over 95db and I have no problem with that.

ALSO FYI TO EVERYONE; the fine isn't $1000 right off the bat, it's a progressive fine.
Appreciate 1
Flacht31135.00
      01-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #151
spiderspider
Captain
Rep

download a sound level meter app in case you get pulled over
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #152
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I bought a sound meter not too long ago to see if my Eisenmann Race muffler would meet sounds limits at the local track(it does) but I haven't tested it in the manner that they do at the referee station. I plan to do that this weekend when I have time or maybe a weekday before work. I'll let everyone know my results.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #153
spiderspider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post

95 decibels at 19 inches probably isn't as loud as you think...
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #154
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
95 decibels at 19 inches probably isn't as loud as you think...
Fair. I honestly forgot about the 19 inches part. My mind immediately went to track compliance DB readings which happen from quite a distance.