F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F32 msport suspension refresh
Extreme Powerhouse

02-05-2024, 09:42 AM   #1
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 430d

F32 msport suspension refresh

Afternoon all

My F32 Msport has just clocked over 90k amd I intend to give the suspension a bit of a refresh. The car currently has passive msport suspension and runs on 19" PS5's.

I'm looking at keeping the comfort as it's a daily driver whilst having a sporty edge to it. I'm not that bothered about it being so low that it scrapes over bumps. However, I wouldn't mind fitting Eibach lowering spring to lower it just a little.

I'm currently looking at the Koni special active kit listed below. Does anyone have any experience with these & would they work with the Eibach lowering springs?

https://performancem.co.uk/choose-yo...cl-xdrive-edc/

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      02-05-2024, 10:08 AM   #2
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Stock M sport springs with Bilstein B4 = cheapest way to refresh stock, but B4s are allegedly 10% stiffer, so a little extra spice.

Eibach pro springs with Bilstein B4 = a little extra fruitiness over the stock setup.

Eibach pro springs with Bilstein B8 = 'sporty edge' but at the expense of low speed ride quality.

Konis reputedly work well but in my experience are terrible quality wise.
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      02-05-2024, 10:28 AM   #3
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
Stock M sport springs with Bilstein B4 = cheapest way to refresh stock, but B4s are allegedly 10% stiffer, so a little extra spice.

Eibach pro springs with Bilstein B4 = a little extra fruitiness over the stock setup.

Eibach pro springs with Bilstein B8 = 'sporty edge' but at the expense of low speed ride quality.

Konis reputedly work well but in my experience are terrible quality wise.
Yeah, I've been looking at the B4's with the pro springs and that's probably one of my top choices along with the Konis. So you reckon the B4 & pro springs will slightly improve the handling of the car? I travel mainly on B roads and motorways so it would be nice to have a mix of comfort and body control.

Even if it's a little stiffer than my current set up, I cant see it being any worse than a system that has travelled over 90k.

think the B8's will be a little too harsh for my usage
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      02-05-2024, 10:42 AM   #4
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofield_94 View Post
Yeah, I've been looking at the B4's with the pro springs and that's probably one of my top choices along with the Konis. So you reckon the B4 & pro springs will slightly improve the handling of the car? I travel mainly on B roads and motorways so it would be nice to have a mix of comfort and body control.

Even if it's a little stiffer than my current set up, I cant see it being any worse than a system that has travelled over 90k.

think the B8's will be a little too harsh for my usage
As TurboWeasel has said; B4S shocks with the Eibach pro-kit springs will be a superb choice for an every day driver; to give you a bit more firmness in the ride (but not silly hard); better springs and a touch of a drop that'll even out the cars ride height

This is exactly what I've just done to my 2015 F31; with all new Sachs top mounts all round; all new mounting rubber parts/gaskets from BMW and all arms/links/inner tie rods/track rod ends replaced with a mix of Lemforder, TRW and Moog parts

My F31 now drives & handles as it should; with no waywardness on the back end any more and it takes bends/roundabouts superbly

All the works listed in my project (link below in sig)

Pic of how it sits now:

I test drove an F30 330D with the B12 kit (B8s with pro-kit springs); far too firm for normal roads (superb on the local country lanes and B roads/bypasses); but normal driving back to where my pals garage is; it was horrible (very jittery, bouncy and horrible when it hit raised manhole covers/potholes etc); albeit that was my opinion and everyones tastes are different...
      02-05-2024, 02:16 PM   #5
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
As TurboWeasel has said; B4S shocks with the Eibach pro-kit springs will be a superb choice for an every day driver; to give you a bit more firmness in the ride (but not silly hard); better springs and a touch of a drop that'll even out the cars ride height

This is exactly what I've just done to my 2015 F31; with all new Sachs top mounts all round; all new mounting rubber parts/gaskets from BMW and all arms/links/inner tie rods/track rod ends replaced with a mix of Lemforder, TRW and Moog parts

My F31 now drives & handles as it should; with no waywardness on the back end any more and it takes bends/roundabouts superbly

All the works listed in my project (link below in sig)

Pic of how it sits now:

I test drove an F30 330D with the B12 kit (B8s with pro-kit springs); far too firm for normal roads (superb on the local country lanes and B roads/bypasses); but normal driving back to where my pals garage is; it was horrible (very jittery, bouncy and horrible when it hit raised manhole covers/potholes etc); albeit that was my opinion and everyones tastes are different...
I've been monitoring your project and I'm definitely looking to do something similar to what you've done!

I certainly don't want anything too stiff so I think B4S's will be what I'm looking for. I just want it tightening up a bit but still comfy enough for daily duties!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #6
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
I've been monitoring your project and I'm definitely looking to do something similar to what you've done!

I certainly don't want anything too stiff so I think B4S's will be what I'm looking for. I just want it tightening up a bit but still comfy enough for daily duties!
Thats exactly what I've got, so you'll be onto a winner with that combo.

I sourced everything via Autodoc bar the OEM BMW bits that I needed.

You'll not better Autodocs prices TBH. Just keep an eye on their app as sometimes they have a big % discount and that's the time to buy
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:06 AM   #7
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

At 90K, just replacing the dampers would bring about big improvements! They wear out so gradually, you get used to it and don't realise how bad they've become until replaced!

As Dan said, it's probably also worth checking and replacing any worn out suspension bushes whilst you're there. Especially at the back as that has more of an influence on handling than the front.

Last time I checked, 1 front M sport damper was about 400 quid, so you can almost do the entire car with B4s for the same cost I think they would work well with M sport springs for those not wanting to lower the car at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:53 AM   #8
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
At 90K, just replacing the dampers would bring about big improvements! They wear out so gradually, you get used to it and don't realise how bad they've become until replaced!

As Dan said, it's probably also worth checking and replacing any worn out suspension bushes whilst you're there. Especially at the back as that has more of an influence on handling than the front.

Last time I checked, 1 front M sport damper was about 400 quid, so you can almost do the entire car with B4s for the same cost I think they would work well with M sport springs for those not wanting to lower the car at all.
Less! I paid £80 for the rears, £95 for the fronts...! Cotswolds BMW quoted me £459 inc delivery for one front damper! I stopped at that

And yes; they'll work well with the OEM springs but for me, as my suspension was all original and the same age/mileage as the OPs near enough; refreshing with what I think are better springs than OEM, made a lot of sense; more so as it's all got to come apart anyway and replace the worn out rubber bits too (the spring perch's weather the most along with the bump stop/dust boots etc)
      02-06-2024, 03:58 AM   #9
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Not sure if these are still for sale in the classified section, but may be worth a look ??

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2075235
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:26 AM   #10
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

BMW's prices are an absolute rip off 🤣 Does anyone have any recommendations as to what suspension bushes to go for?bits not anything I've really looked into. Ove been on Autodoc and there's quote a few options about.
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      02-06-2024, 04:31 AM   #11
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
BMW's prices are an absolute rip off 🤣 Does anyone have any recommendations as to what suspension bushes to go for?bits not anything I've really looked into. Ove been on Autodoc and there's quote a few options about.
Stick with full arms and go for Lemforder / TRW (both OEM) and Moog (very good/well made aftermarket suspension)

I've used all 3 since 2010 and getting into BMWs and never had an issue with Moog whatsoever (on E38s, E39s, E65, F01 and now F31 etc); I've unfortunately had more issues with OEM BMW and Lemforder (Lemforder had issues with 2018/2019 parts - poor manufacturing issues etc)!

Moog you'll get off Autodoc or your local motorfactors; Lemforder & TRW via Autodoc. Although when I was doing my shopping; they'd have one side, but not the other, if that makes sense
      02-06-2024, 04:49 AM   #12
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

£459 for one damper Ridiculous.

Dan - did you happen to notice the brand on your original shocks? Is it SACHs?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 05:15 AM   #13
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
£459 for one damper Ridiculous.

Dan - did you happen to notice the brand on your original shocks? Is it SACHs?
They didn't say; just had the BMW sticker on them and that was it
      02-06-2024, 05:25 AM   #14
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Stick with full arms and go for Lemforder / TRW (both OEM) and Moog (very good/well made aftermarket suspension)

I've used all 3 since 2010 and getting into BMWs and never had an issue with Moog whatsoever (on E38s, E39s, E65, F01 and now F31 etc); I've unfortunately had more issues with OEM BMW and Lemforder (Lemforder had issues with 2018/2019 parts - poor manufacturing issues etc)!

Moog you'll get off Autodoc or your local motorfactors; Lemforder & TRW via Autodoc. Although when I was doing my shopping; they'd have one side, but not the other, if that makes sense
Just pulled the trigger on 2 front, 2 rear B4's for msport on autodoc for £330 all in! Much cheaper than going through BMW. Going to have a look at some of the stuff you've mentioned here too. Did you put new bump stops in with yours or are they already built in with the bilsteins?
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      02-06-2024, 05:48 AM   #15
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on 2 front, 2 rear B4's for msport on autodoc for £330 all in! Much cheaper than going through BMW. Going to have a look at some of the stuff you've mentioned here too. Did you put new bump stops in with yours or are they already built in with the bilsteins?
No; the B4S shocks come naked; only the B6s and B8s are built up with stops/dust boots etc as they're inverted etc...

New bump stops/dust boots/gaskets for the top mounts and spring perches cost me around £250 via Cotswolds BMW (they offer forum discounts etc)

I'd recommend getting new top mounts too; it makes a lot of sense as whilst it's all separate; they can be built up on the bench and then each corner swapped out in one go (if that makes sense)?

If your OEM suspension is still in good health/not leaking/damaged etc; someone will buy it as they always do!

Sold mine via eBay for £200 delivered (listed it when it was 80% off final fees); so cost me £20 all in!
      02-06-2024, 08:33 AM   #16
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No; the B4S shocks come naked; only the B6s and B8s are built up with stops/dust boots etc as they're inverted etc...

New bump stops/dust boots/gaskets for the top mounts and spring perches cost me around £250 via Cotswolds BMW (they offer forum discounts etc)

I'd recommend getting new top mounts too; it makes a lot of sense as whilst it's all separate; they can be built up on the bench and then each corner swapped out in one go (if that makes sense)?

If your OEM suspension is still in good health/not leaking/damaged etc; someone will buy it as they always do!

Sold mine via eBay for £200 delivered (listed it when it was 80% off final fees); so cost me £20 all in!
Yeah I'll definitely look into selling my old ones if they aren't leaking.

Would you recommend shorter bump stops if I run the eibach pro springs? Do you also have a link to any recommended rear bushes that would need replacing? Thanks!
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      02-06-2024, 08:40 AM   #17
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'll definitely look into selling my old ones if they aren't leaking.

Would you recommend shorter bump stops if I run the eibach pro springs? Do you also have a link to any recommended rear bushes that would need replacing? Thanks!
No; they don't lower that much at all and if you're hitting the bump stops; you've got serious weight issues

Re the rear arms; have a look on RealOEM and see the arms listed; I've replaced every arm/drop link etc on my F31, inc the inner CV joints/track rod ends too...

I didn't want to faff about with replacing a few bits at a time; so got it all done in one swoop... Proper future-proofed

This is RealOEM for a RWD 430D (not sure if yours is RWD or xDrive):

Front suspension: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-430d&mg=31
Rear suspension: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-430d&mg=33
Steering arms (tie rods etc): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-430d&mg=32
      02-06-2024, 11:54 AM   #18
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No; they don't lower that much at all and if you're hitting the bump stops; you've got serious weight issues

Re the rear arms; have a look on RealOEM and see the arms listed; I've replaced every arm/drop link etc on my F31, inc the inner CV joints/track rod ends too...

I didn't want to faff about with replacing a few bits at a time; so got it all done in one swoop... Proper future-proofed

This is RealOEM for a RWD 430D (not sure if yours is RWD or xDrive):

Front suspension: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-430d&mg=31
Rear suspension: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-430d&mg=33

Steering arms (tie rods etc): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-430d&mg=32
I'll have a look into this.

Is the Eibach pro kit much lower than the original msport suspension? It seems to be mostly xdrive folk installing it for the drop from what I can see.
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      02-06-2024, 01:38 PM   #19
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
I'll have a look into this.

Is the Eibach pro kit much lower than the original msport suspension? It seems to be mostly xdrive folk installing it for the drop from what I can see.
Nope; 10-15mm absolutely MAX - average of 10mm, more so with new shocks etc

But what it will do is balance out the ride level/height:

Before:

After:

02-07-2024, 09:32 AM   #20
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nope; 10-15mm absolutely MAX - average of 10mm, more so with new shocks etc

But what it will do is balance out the ride level/height:

Before:

After:

That's sits really nicely. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the springs too. Did you also replace the bushing for the 4 rear axle bushes? I'm thinking that will also co tribute to a mush improved ride.

Did you also get new nuts and bolts with the Bilsteins or is it so.ething I'll have to source myself?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:25 AM   #21
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
That's sits really nicely. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the springs too. Did you also replace the bushing for the 4 rear axle bushes? I'm thinking that will also co tribute to a mush improved ride.

Did you also get new nuts and bolts with the Bilsteins or is it so.ething I'll have to source myself?
No; the subframe bushes are in rude health so left them be; mainly because of that, but I also couldn't find the tool for the job and from reading; it's properly faffy (a lot more than it is on the likes of my previous E39s which is very straight forward etc)

You get no bolts whatsoever; again I got all new bolts from BMW for the rear arms/camber bolts etc and the front bolts had been replaced under some warranty work in 2023; so they were fine.

The rears came out fine; but its handy to have new ones in case they're rusted to buggery and need to be cut out etc...

02-08-2024, 10:33 AM   #22
Ofield_94
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No; the subframe bushes are in rude health so left them be; mainly because of that, but I also couldn't find the tool for the job and from reading; it's properly faffy (a lot more than it is on the likes of my previous E39s which is very straight forward etc)

You get no bolts whatsoever; again I got all new bolts from BMW for the rear arms/camber bolts etc and the front bolts had been replaced under some warranty work in 2023; so they were fine.

The rears came out fine; but its handy to have new ones in case they're rusted to buggery and need to be cut out etc...

All new bolts and nuts have been ordered where I think they'll be needed. All the parts should be here within the next week, can't wait to get them fitted!
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00