F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Zimmerman Two Piece Rotors?
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Zimmerman 2 Piece Rotors... Real or Not?
Legit - Save the money 2 40.00%
1 Piece - Savings but not as advertised 3 60.00%
F*** it, buy the real Genuine BMW parts. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

10-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #23
McQueen2014
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Last update on this thread.

FCP has updated thier website and neither the pictures or the description on these are listed as "2 piece". Appears it indeed was, too good to be true.

Ah well, I did OEM rotors and Akebono pads last week and it seems good though I am surprised at the perceived decrease in initial bite. I've had a few times now where I've been concerned about them not working as expected but a little more pressure and they bite down better. I will try re-bedding them in the next couple of days and see how it goes.
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      10-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #24
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen2014 View Post

FCP has updated thier website and neither the pictures or the description on these are listed as "2 piece". Appears it indeed was, too good to be true.

Ah well, I did OEM rotors and Akebono pads last week and it seems good though I am surprised at the perceived decrease in initial bite. I've had a few times now where I've been concerned about them not working as expected but a little more pressure and they bite down better. I will try re-bedding them in the next couple of days and see how it goes.
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Brembo now has OEM style 2 piece rotors. They have plain and the slotted/dimpled style for both the 340mm and 370mm rotors. Although I didn't see the plain 370mm on their website; but their website is t to good either. I found them for reasonable on Rockauto. They're supposed to be with all the major suppliers, but they don't appear to all have them yet. I just got a set of the plain 340 and haven't looked at them yet. I can take pictures later to verify them.
Appreciate 2
kern4174445.00
ali820271.50
      10-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #25
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So they Brembo rotors are indeed oem style 2 piece. They are the high carbon rotor (according to Brembo) with an aluminum hat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AK415196.50
      10-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #26
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
So they Brembo rotors are indeed oem style 2 piece. They are the high carbon rotor (according to Brembo) with an aluminum hat.
I am looking to get these as well. Which pads will you pair them with?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #27
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
Quote:
I am looking to get these as well. Which pads will you pair them with?
I'm using the Hawk HPS 5.0. Really like this pad as a street pad. They are nicely progressive. There's an instant bite from them with even a light press on the brakes, even when cold. But they're never grabby. Torque does seem to go up with a little heat. But hot or cold, I don't need nearly as much pedal pressure to slow down as I did with previous pads. (Stock when I got the car, Cool Carbon, then those Powerstop z26 performance ceramic pads) They're also much less compressible. So the pedal is much more firm than previous, which I also like. There's some dust, but not bad. I put about 800 miles on them and the wheels are just slightly darker grey, not dark like some performance pads do after some miles. Though I'm sure they will be if left long enough without cleaning the wheels. I just tend to not go that long.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Akebono are ceramic which have poor initial bite because they need to heat up to work. Hawk 5.0 pads have great bite.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:03 AM   #29
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

Akebono are ceramic which have poor initial bite because they need to heat up to work. Hawk 5.0 pads have great bite.
Much of this thread is about two-piece rotors that are solidly attached. There is one actual floating 2-piece rotor in the stock size 370x30. Made by StopTech and special order. I got them in drilled with the anti-rust coating and the bite with Hawk 5.0 pads is amazing. The initial gold coating wears immediately off the swept surface but remains inside the holes and vanes. See photos.

Tried to attach photos but this Bimmerpost phone app is still buggy and won't attach the photos. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #30
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Much of this thread is about two-piece rotors that are solidly attached. There is one actual floating 2-piece rotor in the stock size 370x30. Made by StopTech and special order. I got them in drilled with the anti-rust coating and the bite with Hawk 5.0 pads is amazing. The initial gold coating wears immediately off the swept surface but remains inside the holes and vanes. See photos.

Tried to attach photos but this Bimmerpost phone app is still buggy and won't attach the photos. Sorry!
At least I know it's not just me that's having the issues with the app. Lol
I think you're talking about the Stoptech Aerorotors. They look like they'd be nice rotors for the money.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #31
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
I think you're talking about the Stoptech Aerorotors. They look like they'd be nice rotors for the money.
They are nice. Hold up well to track work too. Replacement rings are basically the same price as whole rotors though... The cost savings is negligible (maybe $30).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #32
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

ECS makes a semifloating 2piece rotor in both 340 and 370 x 30mm.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #33
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I wish I could attach photos. They look similar to the drilled rotors in Brembo Big Brake Kits that use >30mm rotors on fronts and 28mm on rears. I think StopTech uses that aerorotor brand name for more than the floating 2-piece though so you have to make sure you're looking at the floating ones. I had difficulty finding a good price and finally ended up getting them through X-PH.

I chose the drilled rotors since I was looking for the best street performance. These drilled rotors along with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires make driving in the rain seem like dry road. If I was really looking to track the car I would have considered the slotted rotors.

I had the same Hawk 5.0 pads on plain rotors prior to this change so these rotors are definitely the difference in the braking improvement , and I was really very happy with the braking before. This just takes it to another level.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #34
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

It looks like the Hawk 5.0's part number for the front brembo calipers is HB765, but there are 4/5 variations. Does anyone know which ones should be used for the grey calipers?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #35
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It looks like the Hawk 5.0's part number for the front brembo calipers is HB765, but there are 4/5 variations. Does anyone know which ones should be used for the grey calipers?
It's the same pad for the blue caliper too. Any blue caliper, including m235i, M3/4 and so on. But for the front it's HB765B.664 and if you have the front grey calipers, you probably have the rear sliding calipers, which is HB624B.662 Hawk part number.
Appreciate 1
AK415196.50
      10-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #36
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's the same pad for the blue caliper too. Any blue caliper, including m235i, M3/4 and so on. But for the front it's HB765B.664 and if you have the front grey calipers, you probably have the rear sliding calipers, which is HB624B.662 Hawk part number.
Thanks! Do they come with the brake sensors like the Akebono does?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #37
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Do they come with the brake sensors like the Akebono does?
Hawk does not come with brake sensors. I feel like the akebono ones do that as a gimmick
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #38
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

I have the mperformance bbk but it's essentially the same caliper as the stock blue sports brakes what I don't understand is how the pad makes contact with the extra 30mm of rotor space? The pads are the same size as the sport brakes and for that mater so are the m4 pads the same size? I'm confused

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #39
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
I have the mperformance bbk but it's essentially the same caliper as the stock blue sports brakes what I don't understand is how the pad makes contact with the extra 30mm of rotor space? The pads are the same size as the sport brakes and for that mater so are the m4 pads the same size? I'm confused
Yes same caliper same pad size. The pads don't make contact with the entire face of the rotor on the 370 or 380mm rotors.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0