F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Does coding trigger the flash counter?
Studio RSR

08-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
torobravo33
Rep
Drives: BMW 340ix

Does coding trigger the flash counter?

I apologize in advance because I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Does FDL coding trigger the flash counter? For example, if I use E-Sys or Bimmercode to turn on folding mirrors, disable disclaimers, disable seat belt chime, etc. will this trigger the flash counter? Or does this only apply to flashes to the DME? I also saw somewhere that each ECU module has its own flash counter, is this true?

My car is a lease and I don't want to get screwed. Although I have a mod friendly dealer, I don't want to get my car flagged when they hook my car up in a few months for its 20K mile inspection.

Assuming I revert all coding to stock before bringing it in, do I have anything to worry about?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
sean2648
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

If you have a mod-friendly dealer - just ask them if they will allow you to code those quality of life changes. Skip the guessing game.

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:37 AM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

"Coding" doesn't change the flash counter, only flashing the ECU's original software triggers a tamper protection code within the vehicle's EPROM, as it was designed by Bosch to do. Not just with BMWs but with all manufactures that uses their propriety hardware.

Actual "coding" is writing and programming of new CAFD files in BMW modules. But "coding" in the Bimmercode sense is a misnomer. It's really just utilizing the programming in a APP designed for activation and disablement of certain features, by changing the values, within the already existing CAFD files. With Bimmercode, there is no actual software changes or anything being rewritten, so it doesn't trigger a tamper code.

There is nothing nefarious about it, other than the fact than some features are disabled by region, probably due to some archaic regulation. The Flexray network within your vehicle is engineered to allow these such changes, by the dealer or others.

Bimmercode is simply just allowing you access to do just what it was naturally designed for; changes of various features without the need for different hardware.

I have been using Bimmercode and ISTA+ for many years and various different vehicles and from my experience, "coding" doesn't leave any trails or red flags within the modules, other than the user intended change.

Also, when ISTA is used by the dealer for changes, the log is saved in a BMW cloud-based databank and not within the ECU. Bimmercode or an bootleg copy of ISTA, neither is connected to a server, so no footprint.

TL : DR: Coding is 100% safe as long as you have a rough idea of WTF you're doing.
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1879.00
celsdogg323.00
      08-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

+1 Well described by Poochie.

Coding is not flashing. It does not change the code of the software or overwrite it. It is purely changing parameters of settings within and already provided by the software.
      08-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #5
torobravo33
Rep
Drives: BMW 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
"Coding" doesn't change the flash counter, only flashing the ECU's original software triggers a tamper protection code within the vehicle's EPROM, as it was designed by Bosch to do. Not just with BMWs but with all manufactures that uses their propriety hardware.

Actual "coding" is writing and programming of new CAFD files in BMW modules. But "coding" in the Bimmercode sense is a misnomer. It's really just utilizing the programming in a APP designed for activation and disablement of certain features, by changing the values, within the already existing CAFD files. With Bimmercode, there is no actual software changes or anything being rewritten, so it doesn't trigger a tamper code.

There is nothing nefarious about it, other than the fact than some features are disabled by region, probably due to some archaic regulation. The Flexray network within your vehicle is engineered to allow these such changes, by the dealer or others.

Bimmercode is simply just allowing you access to do just what it was naturally designed for; changes of various features without the need for different hardware.

I have been using Bimmercode and ISTA+ for many years and various different vehicles and from my experience, "coding" doesn't leave any trails or red flags within the modules, other than the user intended change.

Also, when ISTA is used by the dealer for changes, the log is saved in a BMW cloud-based databank and not within the ECU. Bimmercode or an bootleg copy of ISTA, neither is connected to a server, so no footprint.

TL : DR: Coding is 100% safe as long as you have a rough idea of WTF you're doing.
Thank you. I'm assuming this applies to E-Sys too? So long as I am only changing values within the existing CAFD files but not adding or deleting code?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torobravo33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Thank you. I'm assuming this applies to E-Sys too? So long as I am only changing values within the existing CAFD files but not adding or deleting code?
Yes, that's correct, they're all the same just different tools to do the same job..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
bimleaf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20

If I use ESYS to update/flash the ECU, would that void the warranty or trigger any red flags?
Appreciate 0