F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Power close F32 boot lid?
ARMA SPEED

12-05-2018, 01:51 AM   #1
stevei
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport+

Power close F32 boot lid?

I'm guessing it can't be done/coded ?
      12-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

No, codimg cannot add physical componentry that has never been available on the F32.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:42 AM   #3
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Yes stevei, i coded mine to close, both on the fob and the button in the footwell, i'm assuming the F32 and F36 tailgate are similar or the same !
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #4
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevei View Post
I'm guessing it can't be done/coded ?
Going off teaston's comment i am guessing you have the power opening on your tailgate ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:04 AM   #5
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

I'd just be happy if mine just stayed closed, had a neighbour come around last night saying the boot was wide open.

Must be the fifth time that's happened.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
stevei
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Going off teaston's comment i am guessing you have the power opening on your tailgate ?
yeh power opening
      12-05-2018, 04:33 AM   #7
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevei View Post
yeh power opening
You can use the Bimmercode app to make it close as well (and the adapter of course is required)

Last edited by APJ; 12-05-2018 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #8
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
I'd just be happy if mine just stayed closed, had a neighbour come around last night saying the boot was wide open.

I've had the same thing happen a couple of times, but i found out the cause, i always keep my key in my jeans pocket, so when i go out, i sit down and put my shoes on at the bottom of the stairs, i was obviously catching the button when i sat down, so i now either remove the key from my pocket or bend over and tie my shoes the normal way. Surprise surprise it's not happened since, hope your problem is as simple as mine
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Whaat? You can get the F32 with a power opening??

On mine its just the lock releases and the pistons push it open... no motor involved.

I’ve had mine left open overnight a couple of times.... no idea how... unless the key which stays in my bag somehow gets the boot button pressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #10
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:

Mine is just the opposite it will not open has been in three times for the same fault although seemingly fixed now I wish it was just a normal open and close rather than being automated.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

Quote:
I've had the same thing happen a couple of times, but i found out the cause, i always keep my key in my jeans pocket, so when i go out, i sit down and put my shoes on at the bottom of the stairs, i was obviously catching the button when i sat down, so i now either remove the key from my pocket or bend over and tie my shoes the normal way. Surprise surprise it's not happened since, hope your problem is as simple as mine
That's what I thought too but a couple of times the keys weren't in my pocket and it did it and strangely afterwards, the arm that slides out to give you the seat belt didn't extend either.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

A key condom will help to minimise this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #13
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport

This did the trick with my issues of boot opening due to keys in pocket, not had it happen since:

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can use the Bimmercode app to make it close as well (and the adapter of course is required)
I have a diff model car but yes, confirmed this can be coded via Bimmercode app providing you have power opening.

Settings are in 'Power Tailgate Module' (HKFM2).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRUS_RiP View Post
This did the trick with my issues of boot opening due to keys in pocket, not had it happen since:

I did just order one that was similar, but returned it as i thought it was very poor quality for 30 quid, i've now ordered a chinese jobby, quality will probably still be crap but at least it was only a fiver but it does have a zip all the way round. Shame they can't build in an RIFD wrap as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did just order one that was similar, but returned it as i thought it was very poor quality for 30 quid, i've now ordered a chinese jobby, quality will probably still be crap but at least it was only a fiver but it does have a zip all the way round. Shame they can't build in an RIFD wrap as well.
Yeah, bloody expensive for what it is! I'd prefer not to be using it tbh, just don't like the bulk but it's worked for me so will be sticking with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #17
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Another problem with the random opening of tailgate's because of the key fob being in the pocket, have you seen the distance that your key fob will work from, i was in a car park last week, it wasn't full so just random cars parked about, like they do, i was at least 70 to 80 yards away, plipped the boot and up it went, i was thinking why on earth does it need to work from this far away, it also highlights another problem with your keys in the house a night and what do you do about the relay thiefs, i always thought if you took your keys upstairs at night then you should be safe. If it will work from 70/80 yards then you have no chance, unless you live in a huge palace, and who remembers to put them in a metal box every night !!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #18
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
If it will work from 70/80 yards then you have no chance, unless you live in a huge palace, and who remembers to put them in a metal box every night !!
I think the range of the keyless entry signal is different to the button press signal.

I don't have keyless entry, but my keyless start doesn't detect the key unless it's physically inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #19
ViRUS_RiP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Another problem with the random opening of tailgate's because of the key fob being in the pocket, have you seen the distance that your key fob will work from, i was in a car park last week, it wasn't full so just random cars parked about, like they do, i was at least 70 to 80 yards away, plipped the boot and up it went, i was thinking why on earth does it need to work from this far away, it also highlights another problem with your keys in the house a night and what do you do about the relay thiefs, i always thought if you took your keys upstairs at night then you should be safe. If it will work from 70/80 yards then you have no chance, unless you live in a huge palace, and who remembers to put them in a metal box every night !!
Completely agree on why the signal needs to stretch that length. Worse case for me was when I was in a block of flats visiting a family member, 3rd floor and at the rear of the building when somehow I must have pressed the boot release button in my pocket. Car was on the other side of the road as well, had a few walls etc between where I was and the car.

It's only until getting this case and waiting some time before I started keeping things in the boot!

Got one of those RFID pouches where I keep my keys in when at home from Amazon. Annoying though the measures we have to take these days...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
I think the range of the keyless entry signal is different to the button press signal.

I don't have keyless entry, but my keyless start doesn't detect the key unless it's physically inside the car.
Hi ian, i dont have the comfort opening setting, thankfully, going off what others on the forum have said.

Yes, i do think you have to be very close to start the engine , though they can then drive off without the key.

I might try an experiment, to see how close the key has be to be to start the car !
Appreciate 0