F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW F30 Drivetrain error and Loose timing chain
Studio RSR

10-17-2018, 04:08 AM   #1
MattEng
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F30)

BMW F30 Drivetrain error and Loose timing chain

Hi All,

So I bought my first BMW at the start of the month a 320i. Which I purchased from my local dealers. So I've had it for 16 days, 3 of which I drove it error free. Its been in BMW services for 8 of them days and the rest I have had it but with the error.
I've done a lot of searching about the issues I've had and they have been mentioned but never connected so I thought I would document my problems for anyone else to read.

So my vehicle threw up the Drivetrain error with corresponding EML. This was during a 130mi trip from Shropshire to Cambridge for a weeks holiday. The exact point it happened was while I was on cruise control at 60mph on Eco Pro mode.

It was diagnosed by a recovery technician that it had issues with the vanos or timing. So it was towed to Cambourne BMW.

They ran a Vanos test on it which was promptly aborted as they were aware of the timing chain being loose. So it has had the timing chain replaced and pulleys aligned and then handed back to me.

I've since brought it home where it has thrown up the same error 3 times (as this time the error cleared when switching the ignition off)

Now the car is at my local dealers (Rybrook) where they have diagnosed it as being an issue with timing. As the chain had already been replaced I think they're a little stumped as to what is wrong, so they spent yesterday checking the previous garages workmanship with the chain change. As the chain and corresponding components look fine they are saying it looks like a software issue. Apparently when the timing chain and tensioner is replaced the software needs updating and they need a BMW technician to check to see if the update has been made.
Does this sound correct? As it sounds like BS to me. I'm pretty sure that some N20 owners have made this replacement themselves and wouldn't have messed with the software.

I'm still within my first 30 days of ownership and to be honest I've completely lost faith in this vehicle. I had been looking forward to owning my first BMW and its just been a total disappointment. I'm aware that there are many more happy owners but i'm really considering trying to return the car.

Anyone experience the same issue?

Thanks

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
MattEng
Rep

Just a quick update on this. So apparently the issue was with low oil pressure which was starving the block of oil. BMW technical have approved an engine replacement which isn't bad considering its a 6 year old car.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattEng View Post
Just a quick update on this. So apparently the issue was with low oil pressure which was starving the block of oil. BMW technical have approved an engine replacement which isn't bad considering its a 6 year old car.
Do we know what the cause of the low oil pressure was?

Glad to hear it's getting worked out for you though
      06-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
Mr1000grams
Registered
Rep
Drives: f32 428i f32440i e90 335i

Exclamation BMW f32 428i 30k miles FSH Vanos failure causes oil timing chain to snap. BMW N20

Hi Guys

need your help! i have 428i f32 along with other BMWs.

Drive train malfunction error message comes on 1st then red oil pressure warning came on and engine cut off straight away.

Diagnosed myself prior to going to BMW and it is the Vanos Valve which has thrown out the faults under the DME system.

Car taken to BMW. Diagnosed the same thing but wanted to charge me 700 to strip my engine down to see what has been damaged. Far as im concerned this is a manufacturer fault as a Vanos Valve should last 70k miles minimum. FIND IT FUNNY BMW USA AND AUSTRALIA have a 70k warranty or 7 year warranty on all there N20 engines due to this issue.

Long and behold engine was stripped elsewhere and the oil pressure timing chain had snapped completely causing further damage. Thank god the engine cut itself off to save damage as it had not ceased up.

Im looking all over the net and seen this is a worldwide issue which BMW are trying to cover up in the UK.

my car had over 3000 miles remaining until the next service and a full BMW service history. Its a 64 plate came out in Feb 2015.

Anyone experienced this problem and has anyone successfully got BMW to replace there engine for free as this is a manufacturing fault. i have started Legal action against BMW they will be paying me a double the price of my car once i'm finished with them.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
MattEng
Rep

This sounds very similar to the issues I had with my car. I had a loss of oil pressure but I wasn't informed what had caused it. I also had the block replaced for free but that was down to it still being in warranty. I'm glad as the invoice was a joke:

I'd really like to be kept up to date with any news you have with your issue and wish you luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
martini1305
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i MSport

I have read about the same issues over last days as I have got 2012-09 320i N20. As far as know there have been some cases over in Poland that the BMW as a goodwill (after warranty expire) pays for the parts only to correct the issue if the car has been serviced at dealership. North America has extended warranty. Myself I have been today to Sydney Sheffield and booked a check for Friday to see if the issue exist in my car (just over 60k miles). I have been told that N20 is a good engine and I should not be concerned if there is no strange noises etc. We 'll see on Friday what they say. Fingers crossed as am going continent next month
Appreciate 0