F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (F36) Official Thread - Specs, Wallpapers, Photos, Videos
GetBMWParts

02-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #287
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The B48 is already in the new Mini Cooper S and is indeed going to be in the 2 Active Tourer as well (and all future new Mini and BMW FWD models). So prepare to hate BMW for life if you must. Though I must say I don't understand the logic in that.

No FWD BMW will use an inline 6. B58 appears set for the F30 LCI next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
Looks like this still has the "old" engines

@Scott26

Any news on the new ones? When will the B4x and B5x be available?

If they get introduced with the 2 Sports Tourer thing I will hate BMW for life...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #288
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

So the longer wheelbase would have made it look less like the 3GT, even though they 3GT uses that same longer wheelbase itself?

I personally like the SWB even though as I've said before, I really think a SWB 3 GT and a true 4 door 4 GC would cover the market too. I have my doubts that future generations of the 3/4 family will include three hatchback models (F31, F34, F36). I think a 3GT that looks more like a 4GC could eventually replace both, and come in both SWB and LWB just like the sedan does today. Maybe then we see both a LWB and SWB 4 GC (real one with four doors) too. Further out, perhaps someday that car and the 3 sedan merge too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
As I've said once they decided to keep the wheelbase the same it ruined the car. The rendered versions I saw were based on the L 3 series version available in China and those looked great. The longer length would have made the execution better and look different enough. As it stands for me anyway its execution is not sucessful, looks identical to 3er and really kinda just looks like a 3GT....FAIL
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #289
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So the longer wheelbase would have made it look less like the 3GT, even though they 3GT uses that same longer wheelbase itself?

I personally like the SWB even though as I've said before, I really think a SWB 3 GT and a true 4 door 4 GC would cover the market too. I have my doubts that future generations of the 3/4 family will include three hatchback models (F31, F34, F36). I think a 3GT that looks more like a 4GC could eventually replace both, and come in both SWB and LWB just like the sedan does today. Maybe then we see both a LWB and SWB 4 GC (real one with four doors) too. Further out, perhaps someday that car and the 3 sedan merge too.
And we have complaints about weight too. Adding the LWB would have bumped up weight even more. People are funny.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #290
Marley71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Septa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I am, of course, not speaking for the company.
I personally do not think this car fills any gap, BMW already have models to fill the whole range. That's why I wrote that it is pointless. It is quite obvious to me why BMW create a model, of course they do not create it if they don't think it's gonna make profit.

Now, feel free to quote my message with reasons why the car is not pointless in your opinion. I just wrote what I think about this new model and to express myself in a public forum. Your need to contradict my personal opinion reminds me of a work colleague of mine. It doesn't matter what anyone says, he always needs to come up with something to say to contradict any statement made by another person which is quite annoying.
I agree that this doesn't fill any gaps. I just disagree with the word pointless. If the only point you are interested in is filling gaps then it is "pointless", thankfully there are many other "points" or reasons for model variations.

Like I said, perhaps it's a language issue where you don't understand what "pointless" means. Thankfully the definition of words is not based on personal opinions.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #291
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
The B48 is already in the new Mini Cooper S and is indeed going to be in the 2 Active Tourer as well (and all future new Mini and BMW FWD models). So prepare to hate BMW for life if you must. Though I must say I don't understand the logic in that.

The key thing about the Active Tourer is evident within the reviews of the all new MINI. The media are raving about this car especially how good dynamically it is.
The Active Tourer and MINI share the same architecture but with individually engineered characteristics.

People will be surprised if not shocked.

Anyway a possible future?
Attached Images

02-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #292
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Hmm not too bad at all.

Love that AW one.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #293
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

One thing the 4GC won't have that F30 people will be happy about - ugly looking rubber door seal.

Better yet, it should also not creak based on this design.

This alone, to me at least, is worth it over the F30. Maybe because I live in a steep driveway and I have to go up the ramp everyday and hear that annoying crackling noise lol.

dL
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #294
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:

The key thing about the Active Tourer is evident within the reviews of the all new MINI. The media are raving about this car especially how good dynamically it is.
The Active Tourer and MINI share the same architecture but with individually engineered characteristics.

People will be surprised if not shocked.

Anyway a possible future?
How can BMW address the 130lb weight increase of the 4GC?
      02-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #295
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
Maybe because I live in a steep driveway and I have to go up the ramp everyday and hear that annoying crackling noise lol.

dL
I have a steep driveway and even have my car lowered. I hear no creaking, rattling, nothing when going up my driveway.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #296
wilstave
Legend
Rep
Drives: Loading...

further dilution...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #297
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
More BMW news this week.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #298
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
So the longer wheelbase would have made it look less like the 3GT, even though they 3GT uses that same longer wheelbase itself? I personally like the SWB even though as I've said before, I really think a SWB 3 GT and a true 4 door 4 GC would cover the market too. I have my doubts that future generations of the 3/4 family will include three hatchback models (F31, F34, F36). I think a 3GT that looks more like a 4GC could eventually replace both, and come in both SWB and LWB just like the sedan does today. Maybe then we see both a LWB and SWB 4 GC (real one with four doors) too. Further out, perhaps someday that car and the 3 sedan merge too.
The 3GT is taller on the loner wheelbase. The 4GC on longer wheelbase would have made it look longer and sleeker. It would have better executed the 4 door coupe theme. I would have looked like a mini 6GC instead of a mini 3GT
      02-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #299
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
The 3GT is taller on the loner wheelbase. The 4GC on longer wheelbase would have made it look longer and sleeker. It would have better executed the 4 door coupe theme. I would have looked like a mini 6GC instead of a mini 3GT
It's the rear hatch that is evoking the 3GT look you are noticing. The 6GC has the same wheelbase as the 5 sedan and pulls it off so the wheelbase isn't the deciding factor. A true four door coupe without the elongated greenhouse of the 4GC would have the aesthetic you seek while keeping the current wheelbase.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #300
joaopml
Enlisted Member
Panama
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30 2012 - Base Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasemsport View Post
Another clip i found:

the msport looks awesome... but there is something about this sport line that makes me like it more than the msport... am I crazy?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #301
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

phew! 4 a moment, based off spy pix n renders, i thought bmw made another (f07 & f34) butt fumble...
MUCH better than i anticipated.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #302
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
Describes me to a "T" as well...For both F'30 and F'10 which are completely off my radar for next vehicle.

This GC has a little sexy to it, has some nice dimensions from my vantage point..I expect individual options to be announced and to your point, a next generation to the N55 as well.
+1
Also for folks who are starting families or even thinking of it this is perfect!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #303
jmcphillips1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 128 Coupe

Garage List
Retired: 2003 X5 4.6is
Retired: 2006 330i Post September
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #304
eldo33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i B. Red/Terra

Garage List
2006 325i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cl0ud7 View Post
in before everyone says "this is what the 3series should of looked like" ....(6er gran coupe all over again)

the 6 series are in a class of it own with it own unique look. Yes this what should have been teh 3 series looked like instead of branching 3/4 series with 10+ model type and engines. ridiculous.

2013 E350 - Wife
2013 GLK 4Matic - The Family
2006 BMW E90 325i - Self
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #305
eldo33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i B. Red/Terra

Garage List
2006 325i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
So what has more rear legroom , the sedan or the grand coupe???

I can't seem to find the rear seat dimensions anywhere...
are u kidding? there are barely any length diff between the 2...leg room is in the 5 series.

2013 E350 - Wife
2013 GLK 4Matic - The Family
2006 BMW E90 325i - Self
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #306
Eichler1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbazo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichler1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmarYasirA
Is anyone else wondering why this couldn't have been the 3 series???

Or why this was called a grancoupe as opposed to a gran touring?
Right? Have the marketers gone mad? You have what clearly is a 4-door sedan with a slightly Audi/ last decade Mazda roofline and side window configuration, and it's a "coupe"??? And the 3 series GT is supposed to be seen as so different as to earn a "3" rather than a "4"? Is that because it is a hatchback?

How is this car "stunning" and the 3GT not? Other than BMW cognoscenti and badge snobs (assuming one would consider a "4" badge superior to a "3"), who will be able even to tell a 3GT and a 4 grand "coupe" apart? And if you want a car that looks like a warmed over Audi, why not just get the Audi? Or go for the blue light special: buy a decade-plus old Mazda 626. It would look basically the same, drive decently (and you could find one with a manual!), and would be 10 times more reliable than any BMW.

3GT / 4GC / '90s Mazda 626: separated at birth lol
Really? You can't tell the difference? You are lucky then , buy a honda and you will be happy, every car looks the same to you.
Other folks who can tell the difference are not as lucky as you.
Yo, you have drunk way too much marketing kool-aid. The average car buyer won't be able to tell the 3GT apart from the 4GC unless s/he is a badge sniffer. I am thrilled you are sufficiently accomplished at hair-spitting to appreciate the difference. Have fun dropping $50k or whatever on your new Audi/Mazda thingy lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:04 AM   #307
Eichler1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichler1 View Post
How is this car "stunning" and the 3GT not? Other than BMW cognoscenti and badge snobs (assuming one would consider a "4" badge superior to a "3"), who will be able even to tell a 3GT and a 4 grand "coupe" apart? And if you want a car that looks like a warmed over Audi, why not just get the Audi? Or go for the blue light special: buy a decade-plus old Mazda 626. It would look basically the same, drive decently (and you could find one with a manual!), and would be 10 times more reliable than any BMW.

3GT / 4GC / '90s Mazda 626: separated at birth lol
The difference between the 3GT and the 4GC is obvious to me. That is not to say the 3GT is a bad looking car, but the 4GC is better looking, regardless of what badge the put on the back.
A coupe (or coupé) is defined as a "TWO-door body style." (Yes, it has been applied to 4-doors variously since the 1960s "for marketing reasons," but alas, application of a marketing sobriquet does not a word redefine).

The 4-door coupe likely is a passing fancy, to be looked upon by future generations with bemusement, much as many look upon, say, shag carpeting, and in a decade the used car lots will be filled with unsold examples. By then, the marketers will be pushing automated cars, relegating those of us who care about cars and enjoy driving to the sidelines. So enjoy your '90s Mazda look-alike while you can.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #308
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichler1 View Post
A coupe (or coupé) is defined as a "TWO-door body style." (Yes, it has been applied to 4-doors variously since the 1960s "for marketing reasons," but alas, application of a marketing sobriquet does not a word redefine).

The 4-door coupe likely is a passing fancy, to be looked upon by future generations with bemusement, much as many look upon, say, shag carpeting, and in a decade the used car lots will be filled with unsold examples. By then, the marketers will be pushing automated cars, relegating those of us who care about cars and enjoy driving to the sidelines. So enjoy your '90s Mazda look-alike while you can.
I couldn't care less what they name it, or if the naming system goes away in a few years. Name aside, it's a beautiful car with a sleek profile and an aggressive stance.

There's room for appreciation of all aspects the automobile; driving and design. A mid-thirties Delahaye 135 is a horrible driving car by today's standards, but remains a beautiful car. And no, I don't think the 4GC is anywhere near the same league, but there is absolutely a consensus when it comes to taste in automobiles, and I believe the 4GC will fall on the positive side of that consensus. Much more so than the 3GT.

The 4GC has all the right elements: a long, rakish bonnet with an abbreviated, but still present deck lid; a sleek and elongated roofline. Yes, I think they could have done a little better if they'd sacrificed some rear-seat ergonomics, but ultimately they have to sell a 4-door car to people who will want to use all four seats.

The profile of the 3GT has some very distinct elements that make it less attractive. There is too much dome in the aft curvature of the roofline, and the roofline extends all the way to the trailing edge of what would normally be the deck lid. This makes the design way too heavy toward the rear; although not quite as bad as the 5GT. This is made worse by the upward curvature in the bottom edge of the rear three-quarters windows. The profile of Porsche Panamera has the same issues, and is widely panned as an ugly, but exceptionally well performing car.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0