F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Programming Canadian car at US Dealer?
proTUNING Freaks

11-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Black F32 435i

Programming Canadian car at US Dealer?

Hey everyone, I recently bought a 435 that is a Canadian market car. It was imported in early 2016 to the person I bought the car from. It has a MPH Cluster and is legal in the states. I recently was in at the dealer and requested programming on the car to update the vehicle, but they said it failed because the iDrive and the Instrument Cluster are both Canadian parts! The dealer suggested to install a U.S. Instrument Cluster and a U.S. iDrive.

My Questions are as follow...

1.) How can I get my car updated?

2.) My connected drive does not work, and I CANNOT connect to my mobile app, so how would I resolve this issue?

I hope there is someone out there who has had the same issue that I am currently experiencing, because my dealer and everyone I have talked to have never seen this before.
      11-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakep8 View Post
Hey everyone, I recently bought a 435 that is a Canadian market car. It was imported in early 2016 to the person I bought the car from. It has a MPH Cluster and is legal in the states. I recently was in at the dealer and requested programming on the car to update the vehicle, but they said it failed because the iDrive and the Instrument Cluster are both Canadian parts! The dealer suggested to install a U.S. Instrument Cluster and a U.S. iDrive.

2.) My connected drive does not work, and I CANNOT connect to my mobile app, so how would I resolve this issue?

I hope there is someone out there who has had the same issue that I am currently experiencing, because my dealer and everyone I have talked to have never seen this before.

1) This is likely due to a mismatch in the installed equipment with the vehicle order stored in the car. Most likey due to the instrument cluster swap. The iDrive unit is actually the same between US and Canada.
2) US and Canada use different versions of the app so if you can download BMW Connected Classic from the Canadian App store, that will work.

Do you know who did the cluster swap? If option 838 (National Version Canada) was left in the vehicle order, that's likely the cause of the issue. I would see if you can find a coder who can check that for you and remove it. From there, you can try and see if the dealer can program the car.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:

1) This is likely due to a mismatch in the installed equipment with the vehicle order stored in the car. Most likey due to the instrument cluster swap. The iDrive unit is actually the same between US and Canada.
2) US and Canada use different versions of the app so if you can download BMW Connected Classic from the Canadian App store, that will work.

Do you know who did the cluster swap? If option 838 (National Version Canada) was left in the vehicle order, that's likely the cause of the issue. I would see if you can find a coder who can check that for you and remove it. From there, you can try and see if the dealer can program the car.
When I look up my vin it does in fact show it's a Canadian version. I was talking with some fellow fourm members on trying to attack the issue by my self but it seems to be a tricky task to rid of the Canadian version.
      11-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How can I get my car programmed? I just want the software on the vehicle running the newest possible
      11-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
How can I get my car programmed? I just want the software on the vehicle running the newest possible
Can do it urself with esys and psdzdata full and power supply. Nerve racking at first but easy once u figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
Quote:
Can do it urself with esys and psdzdata full and power supply. Nerve racking at first but easy once u figure it out.
Then why would my dealer recommend new headunit and cluster ?
      11-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then why would my dealer recommend new headunit and cluster ?
Their programming might not b able to do it. They use ista.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:40 AM   #8
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
I can remove option 838 from your FA and you can attempt to have them program the car again to see if it works. No guarantee that it will work though.

Removing 838 should allow ISTA to treat it as a US car and allow ISTA-P to carry out the programming given that you have a US cluster in there.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #9
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can remove option 838 from your FA and you can attempt to have them program the car again to see if it works. No guarantee that it will work though.

Removing 838 should allow ISTA to treat it as a US car and allow ISTA-P to carry out the programming given that you have a US cluster in there.
Hey late response, but if I were to buy a US used 6wb and had it coded and installed, then when I go to the dealer, can they program my car?
      12-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:

ISTA is going to call home and the info isn’t going to match. As thus it will fail, afaik.

If the info doesn’t match what’s in the database for the car, ISTA stops the cycle before the coding is performed. I’ve seen it happen multiple times first hand.

Quote:
Hey late response, but if I were to buy a US used 6wb and had it coded and installed, then when I go to the dealer, can they program my car?
No

See above.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #11
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
hey late response, but i finally have time to solve this issue. i have esys, i can download the full psdzdata. Are there any tutorials on how to do this diy?
      04-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hey late response, but i finally have time to solve this issue. i have esys, i can download the full psdzdata. Are there any tutorials on how to do this diy?
Yes there is. I don't have a link for u off hand but there is a guide to flashing ecu's with esys. Just google it and make sure u fully understand n read the whole pdf before flashing. N make sure u have a power supply that is sufficient or hook jumpers up to another car (I have never done it that way but I kno others who have) Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes there is. I don't have a link for u off hand but there is a guide to flashing ecu's with esys. Just google it and make sure u fully understand n read the whole pdf before flashing. N make sure u have a power supply that is sufficient or hook jumpers up to another car (I have never done it that way but I kno others who have) Goodluck!
i can achieve this with an enet cable ?
      04-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #14
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
where do i find the pdf?
      04-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #16
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
where do i find the pdf?
Maybe someone else has a link for u or just google "flash ecu's with esys"
Appreciate 1
blakep842.00