F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got a speeding camera ticket in Switzerland...do I have to pay?
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

07-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #67
WildBill58
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Switzerland is NOT part of the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsja View Post
Just like the others said, pay it off. Trying to enter the country is what you should be concerned about or any other EU nation, i.e. if they share the information. Why would anyone want to risk their vacation/ business travel for a couple of 100's that you chose not to pay in the past?
I just wanted to point out that Switzerland is not part of the EU but I understand that they do have agreements in place for speeding fines etc. with other nations in the EU such as France.
Appreciate 1
rohitsja232.50
      07-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #68
WildBill58
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Switzerland is NOT part of the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Post View Post
Don't pay it.......... When was the camera last calibrated? If you do pay it, send them the fine as a bucket of pennies or dimes. The EU won't last much longer.. Wait it out until the EU Parliament in Brussels implodes (they're bankrupt) or the EU Parliament corruption is exposed, or the refugees take over the place. Switzerland maybe left standing by all the banks based there, but 12 months from now your ticket will be the least of their problems.
I just wanted to point out that Switzerland is not part of the EU.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #69
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill58 View Post
I just wanted to point out that Switzerland is not part of the EU.
Did you register just to make that comment to a post that's 3 years old?
Appreciate 3
rohitsja232.50
RickFLM410971.00
jaye9441014.00
      07-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #70
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
Did you register just to make that comment to a post that's 3 years old?
Twice, no less.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #71
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Although this thread is a couple of years old, I would like to add my comment to this, as so much false information is flying around in here.

First of all: not paying a Swiss ticket is the worst idea one could have.

Switzerland is very strict, has high fines and usually enforces a lot of speed limit by speeding traps or video cameras.

Further, a lof of speed limit or traffic violations are considered a felony (where in Germany a lot of violations are considered an administrative offence).

If caught in the act, Swiss police will detain you, seize your passport and licence, depending on the speed you were going, impound your car. As hwalk I was working in Switzerland, and it is crazy dangerous. There is hardly any room to negotiate, even with a good lawyer.

To all the guys telling the OP to not pay, his decision; I had two colleagues detained at the border for minor violations - no joke and very inconvenient if you have to travel for work, but need to tell your boss that you missed a flight to Asia because of not paying a 150.00 EUR fine a year ago...
Depending on the citizenship and for really high fines, Switzerland will try to get a warrant in your country (happened to a few Germans), which - because it is a felony and not only an offense - is possible. Certainly not in the US, but with citizens of EU member states this is normal practice.

Some violations may even be stored longer than three (3) years, I think up to ten (10) years is possible.

As to getting your details, whether it is ED or rental car, Swiss authorities will come to know - do not worry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
I'm curious as well!
I may have got bit heading from Zurich to Stuttgart. It was in a serious speed trap going from 100kmh to near 60 in probably less than 150 yards. I think by the time I got to the actual camera and passed it I was crawling well under it but I'm not too sure what kind of range those things ticket at.
This should be the one at Schaffhausen, shortly after the tunnel exit ... Got caught there twice, once 3 and once 5 km/h above the limit.

Other than that I did 40k kilometers in approx. 8-9 month in Switzerland and was slow (or lucky) enough to not get any ticket.

Be careful out there!
Appreciate 1
EALm43346.50
Closed Thread