F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual owners chime in
GetBMWParts

03-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Manual owners chime in

I have the stock M sport shifter. I was wondering if anyone has either driven or has the m performance upgraded shifter. It's that shorter/stubbier shifter for sale for sale in FCP EURO for like $260.

Is it worth it? How does it feel in comparison? I do like the stock shifter but as the mod bug has sunk its teeth in me, it's hard to be ok with a stock component at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I have the stock M sport shifter. I was wondering if anyone has either driven or has the m performance upgraded shifter. It's that shorter/stubbier shifter for sale for sale in FCP EURO for like $260.

Is it worth it? How does it feel in comparison? I do like the stock shifter but as the mod bug has sunk its teeth in me, it's hard to be ok with a stock component at this point.
I agree that knob looks nice, but is it weighted like the original? If its light it may feel worse
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:

I agree that knob looks nice, but is it weighted like the original? If its light it may feel worse
Exactly. That's another reason I was asking. It definitely looks nicer but im not going to make a change for aesthetics, especially if it'll make the feel of it worse
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. That's another reason I was asking. It definitely looks nicer but im not going to make a change for aesthetics, especially if it'll make the feel of it worse
I have seen it before and it does look nice, and I agree that bmws default manual knob is looking dated, disappointing that they dont refresh it from model to model. I remember when I first got that knob though and was coming from the basic wood bmw knob, the heavy weighted knob made the shifts so much smoother and more effortless so i would not want to go back to a lightweight knob
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have seen it before and it does look nice, and I agree that bmws default manual knob is looking dated, disappointing that they dont refresh it from model to model. I remember when I first got that knob though and was coming from the basic wood bmw knob, the heavy weighted knob made the shifts so much smoother and more effortless so i would not want to go back to a lightweight knob
Ok thanks a lot for your input I never really considered that a factor I'll try to find out the weighting compared to the stock knob thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

It's really really nice and improves shifter feel. Get one!
      03-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
It's really really nice and improves shifter feel. Get one!
How was install?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
How was install?
Takes 5 minutes, tops.

I've had it installed on my M235 6mt for over 2 years now. I love it. Makes the shifting feel a lot more mechanical and direct. I'd never go back to the stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Note: post from another forum and user that i found useful (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1332637):

OK, I received the MP shift knob yesterday. Like others, I was a bit surprised by how small in diameter the MP shift knob was. Everything appeared to be of high quality, but I was worried about how everything would feel given the size and my larger than average hands (I'm 6' 2").

I installed the shifter and it was terribly easy. Along with the boot, it looks perfect with my Coral Red and aluminum trim with the silver boot stitching, matching the trim color perfectly.

To my amazement, the MP shifter size actually fit perfectly into my hand and felt great. I wouldn't mind a little more girth but it is what it is The shifter was a bit lower since the knob is shorter. The throws are around 20% shorter and gearbox feel also had a quite a more directness. This is exactly what I was looking for. I never felt that this gearbox was indirect or rubbery like others say, it just felt a bit more isolated with the larger stock ZHP knob and the 1-2 shift always felt a bit long and slowed me down.

I went out for a drive and the everything felt great. With previous cars, lowering the shift knob tended to increase notchiness, shift effort, and vibration. That is not the case here. I feels great and direct. Almost like a stock S2000 shifter (90% of that feel). I can bang the gears with quite a bit more speed and was able to get 2nd scratches quite easily and bang 3rd. On hard driving, I do with the 1-2 shift holding the shifter pistol grip style, the 2-3 with my palm open and directly behind the shifter, and the 3-4 with my hand inverted (thumb down) and palm around the front of the shifter. The shifter glides into the gears. It's great. During normal driving, I can basically shift with my fingers and some wrist action. When shifting my forearm also rests a bit lower which is more comfortable.

On to the comparison of the MP knob vs the ZHP knob. Using a scale and digital calipers.

MP knob with boot = 7.5 oz
ZHP knob with boot = 8.0 oz

Yes, the ZHP knob assembly is fractionally heavier, however I think the weight difference is coming from the heavier leather booth. When holding the knobs in your hand, you tell easily that the MP knob is both heavier and weighted towards the top of the assembly. I was surprised to see that the OEM shift boot was real leather.

MP knob size: 1.62" diameter (perfectly circle), 2.77" tall

ZHP knob size: 1.86" wide, 2.19" long, 3.06" tall
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, I received the MP shift knob yesterday. Like others, I was a bit surprised by how small in diameter the MP shift knob was. Everything appeared to be of high quality, but I was worried about how everything would feel given the size and my larger than average hands (I'm 6' 2").

I installed the shifter and it was terribly easy. Along with the boot, it looks perfect with my Coral Red and aluminum trim with the silver boot stitching, matching the trim color perfectly.

To my amazement, the MP shifter size actually fit perfectly into my hand and felt great. I wouldn't mind a little more girth but it is what it is The shifter was a bit lower since the knob is shorter. The throws are around 20% shorter and gearbox feel also had a quite a more directness. This is exactly what I was looking for. I never felt that this gearbox was indirect or rubbery like others say, it just felt a bit more isolated with the larger stock ZHP knob and the 1-2 shift always felt a bit long and slowed me down.

I went out for a drive and the everything felt great. With previous cars, lowering the shift knob tended to increase notchiness, shift effort, and vibration. That is not the case here. I feels great and direct. Almost like a stock S2000 shifter (90% of that feel). I can bang the gears with quite a bit more speed and was able to get 2nd scratches quite easily and bang 3rd. On hard driving, I do with the 1-2 shift holding the shifter pistol grip style, the 2-3 with my palm open and directly behind the shifter, and the 3-4 with my hand inverted (thumb down) and palm around the front of the shifter. The shifter glides into the gears. It's great. During normal driving, I can basically shift with my fingers and some wrist action. When shifting my forearm also rests a bit lower which is more comfortable.

On to the comparison of the MP knob vs the ZHP knob. Using a scale and digital calipers.

Yes, the ZHP knob assembly is fractionally heavier, however I think the weight difference is coming from the heavier leather booth. When holding the knobs in your hand, you tell easily that the MP knob is both heavier and weighted towards the top of the assembly. I was surprised to see that the OEM shift boot was real leather.

VERY informative thank you! So the throws are noticeable? I was hoping for them to be shorter but wasn't expecting much just from a shifter. I think I'll go ahead and order one based on everyone's response here thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

VERY informative thank you! So the throws are noticeable? I was hoping for them to be shorter but wasn't expecting much just from a shifter. I think I'll go ahead and order one based on everyone's response here thanks for the write up!
Sorry didnt edit in time, the post was copied from another thread and is not mine so I cant speak from experience
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I've had SSK's on previous cars. The M performance knob feels like an ssk, even though it is not. It's one of the best mods I've done to my car and takes two min to install.
      03-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
I've had SSK's on previous cars. The M performance knob feels like an ssk, even though it is not. It's one of the best mods I've done to my car and takes two min to install.
Awesome! I think I'll buy this week thanks!
Appreciate 0