F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > HVAC system has mind of its own.
GetBMWParts

03-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #23
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
I apologize for the rant, ahead of time. But I've never been able to figure out the climate control in this car. It's horrible -- especially when not in 'auto'.
  • THE BASIC DESIGN IS ABYSMAL. The driver has to adjust the temperature in FOUR places, which is the dumbest thing I've ever encountered: Driver's side, passenger side, center vent rheostat, and then reach around and feel-around for the rear passenger rheostat (while driving), as well. It's asinine. Also unbelievable BMW couldn't at least have an option to sync the driver's and passenger's air temps -- it's a super-basic, common-sense feature, even found in compact economy cars, that they just chintz-out on.
  • The A/C comes on whenever it wants to -- even when the A/C button is off and the car is not in defrost mode. There's some sort of humidity sensor in the cabin and it thinks it's smarter than you are. So I get the temp just right, then A/C kicks in (on it's own accord) and I start freezing. So I change the temp, then after a while, the A/C compressor turns off, and it's way too hot -- so I adjust the temp again. Then A/C turns back on... And the cycle repeats, over and over, and over. DUMB.
  • Allegedly the hot/cold rheostat for the center vents, controls the air temp for only the center vents, but I've found that to not be true. It still works in concert with the main temperature display, somehow -- but I've never completely figured out how.
  • When the rheostat does seem to work as expected, it has a "hair trigger" right in the center. 1mm of movement, one way or the other, changes the temp drastically. Anything beyond that is full-on hot or cold. It belongs in the dumpster.

I miss the simplicity of just having ONE temperature control. The driver should be able to set the temp and forget about it, especially in a car that has "automatic" climate control.

I've only found it livable by setting it to "auto", but even then I have to constantly mess with the rheostat, especially in the winter. It seems like maybe after the car warms up I can have the rheostat cranked all the way to hot or cold and nothing changes at all, there's barely any air coming out, etc... so I don't know. It's dumb.

When not in "auto", though, regardless of the A/C being on, or off, the climate control has a mind of it's own -- especially on long drives. I've had the cabin temp cranked down as low as it will go, the rheostats cranked all the way to cold, and there will be 90+ degree warm air cranking out of the vents -- on a cold winter's day. WTF??

BMW really called this one in -- super low effort.
Yup. The weird thing is my E90 was perfect all year round. There could have been a quarter inch of dust on all the knobs if I never cleaned the car- I don't think I ever touched the system.

I did get a code the other day for faulty interior temperature sensor... that could explain it but after clearing it the code never came up again so I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #24
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
I apologize for the rant, ahead of time. But I've never been able to figure out the climate control in this car. It's horrible -- especially when not in 'auto'.
  • THE BASIC DESIGN IS ABYSMAL. The driver has to adjust the temperature in FOUR places, which is the dumbest thing I've ever encountered: Driver's side, passenger side, center vent rheostat, and then reach around and feel-around for the rear passenger rheostat (while driving), as well. It's asinine. Also unbelievable BMW couldn't at least have an option to sync the driver's and passenger's air temps -- it's a super-basic, common-sense feature, even found in compact economy cars, that they just chintz-out on.
  • The A/C comes on whenever it wants to -- even when the A/C button is off and the car is not in defrost mode. There's some sort of humidity sensor in the cabin and it thinks it's smarter than you are. So I get the temp just right, then A/C kicks in (on it's own accord) and I start freezing. So I change the temp, then after a while, the A/C compressor turns off, and it's way too hot -- so I adjust the temp again. Then A/C turns back on... And the cycle repeats, over and over, and over. DUMB.
  • Allegedly the hot/cold rheostat for the center vents, controls the air temp for only the center vents, but I've found that to not be true. It still works in concert with the main temperature display, somehow -- but I've never completely figured out how.
  • When the rheostat does seem to work as expected, it has a "hair trigger" right in the center. 1mm of movement, one way or the other, changes the temp drastically. Anything beyond that is full-on hot or cold. It belongs in the dumpster.

I miss the simplicity of just having ONE temperature control. The driver should be able to set the temp and forget about it, especially in a car that has "automatic" climate control.

I've only found it livable by setting it to "auto", but even then I have to constantly mess with the rheostat, especially in the winter. It seems like maybe after the car warms up I can have the rheostat cranked all the way to hot or cold and nothing changes at all, there's barely any air coming out, etc... so I don't know. It's dumb.

When not in "auto", though, regardless of the A/C being on, or off, the climate control has a mind of it's own -- especially on long drives. I've had the cabin temp cranked down as low as it will go, the rheostats cranked all the way to cold, and there will be 90+ degree warm air cranking out of the vents -- on a cold winter's day. WTF??

BMW really called this one in -- super low effort.
I think a lot of your issues can be coded out, I found settings for when the AC comes will come on in bimmercode and i coded everything to not turn on the AC, totally forgotten about it since I had no issues with AC randomly coming on for so long.
Appreciate 0