F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein B12 Pro Kit for AWD 14 335
Extreme Powerhouse

01-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Bilstein B12 Pro Kit for AWD 14 335

Hi everyone -

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Bilstein B12 pro kit for the F30 335 xDrive? I'm looking into getting coilovers and was curious about this OEM + option...

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/produ...51839577779359
      01-06-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Bilstein B12 Pro Kit includes 4 x Bilstein B8 shocks with Eibach Pro lowering springs.

It's a tacit acknowledgment that this is perhaps the most practical combination of aftermarket shocks and aftermarket lowering springs. Quite a few forum members selected this combination by purchasing B8 shocks and Eibach Pro lowering springs separately.

Does you car have M Adaptive suspension?

I prefer coilovers mainly because ...

- Springs and shocks are matched by design
- Suspension height can be adjusted
- Rebound and compression (depending what coilovers you select) can be adjusted either in combination or independently (KW V3 offer this option)

While B12 Pro Kit is less expensive than KW Street Comfort coilovers, I suggest to explore KW Street Comfort coilovers as well. These coilovers transformed the suspension behavior of my 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan - the same vehicle you own today (just a year older).

PS. Nice to see someone from 914 area code.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit includes 4 x Bilstein B8 shocks with Eibach Pro lowering springs.

It's a tacit acknowledgment that this is perhaps the most practical combination of aftermarket shocks and aftermarket lowering springs. Quite a few forum members selected this combination by purchasing B8 shocks and Eibach Pro lowering springs separately.

Does you car have M Adaptive suspension?

I prefer coilovers mainly because ...

- Springs and shocks are matched by design
- Suspension height can be adjusted
- Rebound and compression (depending what coilovers you select) can be adjusted either in combination or independently (KW V3 offer this option)

While B12 Pro Kit is less expensive than KW Street Comfort coilovers, I suggest to explore KW Street Comfort coilovers as well. These coilovers transformed the suspension behavior of my 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan - the same vehicle you own today (just a year older).

PS. Nice to see someone from 914 area code.
Hey bud, thanks for that. The KW Comfort coilovers are one of the options I'm considering. I usually jump the gun when it comes to hardware for my car so I'm trying to slow it down, do some research, and choose the right ones.

P.S. - No M Adaptive suspension currently.
      01-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Also quick question... This is going to sound like a stupid question but bare with me. I just don't want to order the wrong set of coilovers when I finally decide to pull the trigger. Currently I can set my driving mode (Normal, Sport, Sport+) with the button near the shifter. When I decode my VIN I DO NOT have the Adaptive M Suspension option. Does this mean I would order a set of coilovers with the "NON EDC" option?
      01-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Also quick question... This is going to sound like a stupid question but bare with me. I just don't want to order the wrong set of coilovers when I finally decide to pull the trigger. Currently I can set my driving mode (Normal, Sport, Sport+) with the button near the shifter. When I decode my VIN I DO NOT have the Adaptive M Suspension option. Does this mean I would order a set of coilovers with the "NON EDC" option?
if the decoded VIN doesn't show 2VF (M Adaptive) code, there are 2 more items to verify:

- When selecting Sport mode (from Normal), does the suspension get stiffer?
- Is there a wire going to the shock absorber body? Front shocks are easier to check - just turn the wheel

There are only a few coilovers designed for EDC equipped F30 vehicles. Bilstein makes Damptronic series coilovers and shocks designed to use OEM EDC controls. After installation, the existing wiring harness is plugged into the shock and the same button can be used the suspension setting.

If your car doesn't have 2VF (aka EDC / DHP) M Adaptive suspension, NON EDC is the correct option.

Don't forget to plan for 4 wheel alignment. I also suggest not to lower the xDrive suspension more than 1 inch (at most).

Reference thread (among many): https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1640775

What's your budget for the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
if the decoded VIN doesn't show 2VF (M Adaptive) code, there are 2 more items to verify:

- When selecting Sport mode (from Normal), does the suspension get stiffer?
- Is there a wire going to the shock absorber body? Front shocks are easier to check - just turn the wheel

There are only a few coilovers designed for EDC equipped F30 vehicles. Bilstein makes Damptronic series coilovers and shocks designed to use OEM EDC controls. After installation, the existing wiring harness is plugged into the shock and the same button can be used the suspension setting.

If your car doesn't have 2VF (aka EDC / DHP) M Adaptive suspension, NON EDC is the correct option.

Don't forget to plan for 4 wheel alignment. I also suggest not to lower the xDrive suspension more than 1 inch (at most).

Reference thread (among many): https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1640775

What's your budget for the upgrade?
Answers to your question in order:

- The suspension doesn't seem to get stiffer, but the steering definitely does.
- I will check for the wire and update.

Code 2VF is definitely NOT in the build list when I decode the VIN. Many thanks for the information.
      01-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Sorry I forgot to mention, budget is about 1K. I'll be doing the install myself as it doesn't seem too difficult. Anyone have experience with the BC coil overs for the F30?