F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Headlight tint. Yes or no?
Studio RSR

07-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
alinasf30
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Estoril Blue 6MT

Headlight tint. Yes or no?

I have an estoril blue 335i with all 6 windows blacked out and black rims, grille, reflectors. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with lamin-x headlight tint and what color would suit the car best.

They all seem like a good fit for my car and even the yellow would look cool in a unique kind of way. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Perhaps the #1 complaint about BMW is crappy headlights, and you want to tint them? If it's a show or track only car and/or never ventures out at night OK, but otherwise not a smooth move.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
alinasf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Perhaps the #1 complaint about BMW is crappy headlights, and you want to tint them? If it's a show or track only car and/or never ventures out at night OK, but otherwise not a smooth move.
Hmm, that's odd.. I feel like the xenons on my car are fairly bright. They aren't as bright as the LEDs on the 6 series but they're still very good. I also live in the city where it's very well lit and I rarely drive at night.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #4
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Headlight tint?: No. Then again I'd never have tinted the rears either (taillights), but it's all down to personal taste. If it's state legal then do what makes you happy I say. It's your call after all and you're the one driving it, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

i doubt you'll find many people here that'll go for the headlight tint look.

IMO, you put yellow film over your headlights and it'll look like a Japanese car.

But it's your car. You do you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

There are many posts with headlight tints (especially with lamin-x) I've seen here you can also search. Yellow tint headlight on a daily driver bimmer though is ugly IMO. If you want to tint them then I think a light black tint, just dark enough to lighten those silver chrome trim would be good. But not full on dark. At some point I might darken my headlights a bit too or send them in to black out the inside rather then tint film. I think they look good to compliment other aggressive mods.

I also don't think the headlights are crappy, don't know where this number 1 complaint about headlights came from LOL. They're really bright for me, I don't know about the Halogens but My xenon LEDs are really bright.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Halogens are universally reviled, and BMW halogens are so notoriously bad they write TV shows about them. Really.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
that's if you have the halogen version.. and no I wouldnt tint any headlights and I'd remove the tail light tint as well lol
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

you are already reducing the visibility of when you brake and now you want to reduce the visibility of your headlights.. you have a tinted windshield as well??? i yi yi..

car looks horrible with all that black film on the lights. id remove it all, sell the car and go back to your honda.

Last edited by wdeerfield; 07-14-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

The only headlight tint I've ever liked was this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
alinasf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
you are already reducing the visibility of when you brake and now you want to reduce the visibility of your headlights.. you have a tinted windshield as well??? i yi yi..

car looks horrible with all that black film on the lights. id remove it all, sell the car and go back to your honda.
I was just asking for advice with my headlights, not my taillights. Visibility isn't the issue here. I see the car as personalized and fun and I enjoy it. I thought the stock bright red tails looked too colorful against the blue paint and now I want the front end to match the back. I don't see any point in demeaning the car or considering BMWs in general to be superior to the modified Hondas on the street... That attitude causes trouble, ya know! A car should be personal satisfaction, not a symbol of superiority.
Appreciate 4
      07-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
alinasf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
There are many posts with headlight tints (especially with lamin-x) I've seen here you can also search. Yellow tint headlight on a daily driver bimmer though is ugly IMO. If you want to tint them then I think a light black tint, just dark enough to lighten those silver chrome trim would be good. But not full on dark. At some point I might darken my headlights a bit too or send them in to black out the inside rather then tint film. I think they look good to compliment other aggressive mods.

I also don't think the headlights are crappy, don't know where this number 1 complaint about headlights came from LOL. They're really bright for me, I don't know about the Halogens but My xenon LEDs are really bright.
Agreed, I've heard some complain that lamin-x would start to peel under the heat that the xenons emit but I'm not too sure. This car rarely gets driven at night so what do I have to lose?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinasf30 View Post
Hmm, that's odd.. I feel like the xenons on my car are fairly bright. They aren't as bright as the LEDs on the 6 series but they're still very good. I also live in the city where it's very well lit and I rarely drive at night.
My car has LEDs and they are not very bright. I find myself using high beams often at night. Wish I had auto high beams or anti-dazzle like in Europe. It seems adaptive headlights are brighter. Not sure about xenons haven't seen that as an option in the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
alinasf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
My car has LEDs and they are not very bright. I find myself using high beams often at night. Wish I had auto high beams or anti-dazzle like in Europe. It seems adaptive headlights are brighter. Not sure about xenons haven't seen that as an option in the configurator.
I would've never thought to call LEDs dim! That is unfortunate though. I see you live in Pasedena so I'm assuming it's well lit. I'm having no trouble seeing at night here in Philadelphia even with horribly illegal windshield tint. Lots of streets in the suburbs here have no lights and I still use low beams. I guess it's subjective.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinasf30 View Post
I would've never thought to call LEDs dim! That is unfortunate though. I see you live in Pasedena so I'm assuming it's well lit. I'm having no trouble seeing at night here in Philadelphia even with horribly illegal windshield tint. Lots of streets in the suburbs here have no lights and I still use low beams. I guess it's subjective.
I use the fogs, that helps a little bit. Some of the smaller residential streets aren't as well lit as the bigger streets. It seems the auto leveling points the headlights a little low but also they aren't as bright as the adaptives.
Appreciate 0