F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Oil Accumulator / Accusump
Studio RSR

01-06-2022, 04:54 AM   #1
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Oil Accumulator / Accusump

So I’m in the process of installing an accusump in the car as a cheap form of insurance for low oil pressure when I do track days.

Parts I have are:
Moroso 3qt Accumulator
Moroso Accumulator brackets
Accusump Pro EPC Valve 55-60 Psi

My plan is to mount it in the boot under the fake floor in the space where the spare tyres should be. Will have AN10 fittings and tubing and will run to to the left hand port on the oil heat exchanger.

So plan is:
Mount accusump in boot
Install a bulkhead AN10 fitting so I can remove the accusump from the boot easily
Run an AN10 line under the car (hopefully behind the heat shields) to the engine bay
Use a Mishimoto banjo fitting to plumb the line into the oil exchanger.
Run a fused line from the battery to the accumsump. Pop a wireless relay in on so I can turn it on and off from inside the car.

Question is, has anyone done this and do they have any tips?
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
So I’m in the process of installing an accusump in the car as a cheap form of insurance for low oil pressure when I do track days.

Parts I have are:
Moroso 3qt Accumulator
Moroso Accumulator brackets
Accusump Pro EPC Valve 55-60 Psi

My plan is to mount it in the boot under the fake floor in the space where the spare tyres should be. Will have AN10 fittings and tubing and will run to to the left hand port on the oil heat exchanger.

So plan is:
Mount accusump in boot
Install a bulkhead AN10 fitting so I can remove the accusump from the boot easily
Run an AN10 line under the car (hopefully behind the heat shields) to the engine bay
Use a Mishimoto banjo fitting to plumb the line into the oil exchanger.
Run a fused line from the battery to the accumsump. Pop a wireless relay in on so I can turn it on and off from inside the car.

Question is, has anyone done this and do they have any tips?
I've seen them mounted in the engine bay but not from the rear of the car.

I think it's just easier to do the M2 N55 / S55 oil sump retrofit. It would give you an opportunity to inspect the rod bearings at the same time.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

the accumsump in the boot seems to be easy enough, its just a lot of piping under the car to go from the boot to engine bay.

The accumsump was a cheap option for me as i already had it for my old car. so its just a matter of plumbing it all in. the S55 retrofit is a fair bit in regards to $$.

Will be replacing the rod bearings when i drop the subframe to do the front swaybar install later in the year
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 06:56 AM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
the accumsump in the boot seems to be easy enough, its just a lot of piping under the car to go from the boot to engine bay.

The accumsump was a cheap option for me as i already had it for my old car. so its just a matter of plumbing it all in. the S55 retrofit is a fair bit in regards to $$.

Will be replacing the rod bearings when i drop the subframe to do the front swaybar install later in the year
One thing to keep in mind is the flow rate from the Accusump placed in the rear of the car may be different than one placed in the engine bay.

My recommendation is to just move up the timeframe when you are going to have the rod bearings replaced and do the S55 retrofit.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Got email today from VAC advertising this:

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...s55-p5446.aspx

Not sure of pros/cons compared to retrofit of the existing S55 wet sump to the N55.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...s55-p5446.aspx
      01-21-2022, 04:37 AM   #6
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ooo wow that’s $8k! The accumsump will be $400 all said and done
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 06:27 PM   #7
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Ooo wow that’s $8k! The accumsump will be $400 all said and done
Totally agree, way out of my budget. I didn't see that $ before posting...wow!