F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware FAIL
Studio RSR

04-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #23
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by okolisr View Post
Could someone from Dinan please answer . . . is Dinan still working to identify and resolve the source of these failed 4-series installs? Or have they just given up?

I would still like to install Shockware (along with several other Dinan suspension upgrades) on my 2015 F32 435i xDrive after my failed initial install by my BMW dealer.

Please help!
Haven't given up but it is back-burner given the extremely limited numbers of failures. Ultimately what is going to be needed is a local car that has the issue that we can have access to directly. Seemingly every failure thus far has been across the country and shipping in a car to potentially be ripped apart and down for weeks, if not months, is not appealing. From a distance we have done about everything we can to try and assess what the common variable is between all the failures without much luck. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. A local problematic car is seemingly the only way its going to be resolved as downtime and costs associated are streamlined.

As an illustration to how rare the failures are.... of the various shockware skus there have been a total of 1164 successful installs to date. Last I saw the amount of failed installs was under 20. It should also be noted that it is not limited to 4 series--2&3 series have had some instances as well. The 5 and 6 series I think have escaped any failures but they also are much lower volume.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

I talked to a DINAN rep shortly after my failed installation and was told specifically it was my car and not their software. I even asked if I should try another DINAN authorized dealer and they sounded pessimistic. I'm glad I was stubborn and scheduled an appointment at the other shop. Turns out the install succeeded and without a hitch.

Although I'm still scratching my head as to why it never took the first time, I don't care anymore because it worked out in the end.
      04-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #25
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

congrats on having it work! that makes it even more puzzling that something prevented it working the first time and subsequent attempts but then the issue cleared to allow it to work later. that's weird.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:57 PM   #26
jaf360
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1999 328i sport sedan

Shockware Failure

I have a 13' F30 335xi m-sport and my car failed to take the shockware update as well. I'm super disappointed and thought about asking them to try to reflash it to see if it would take. Since they had to reset the suspension to factory they weren't willing to due to the time involved. Gives me a bit of hope reading that someone else was able to get it to work at another dealer. Unfortunately I live 8+ hrs from a BMW dealer much less a Dinan one so it will be awhile. Actually making me think about getting rid of the thing since it wouldn't work. Makes all my hopes and dreams of what the car could be go up in smoke.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #27
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf360 View Post
I have a 13' F30 335xi m-sport and my car failed to take the shockware update as well. I'm super disappointed and thought about asking them to try to reflash it to see if it would take. Since they had to reset the suspension to factory they weren't willing to due to the time involved. Gives me a bit of hope reading that someone else was able to get it to work at another dealer. Unfortunately I live 8+ hrs from a BMW dealer much less a Dinan one so it will be awhile. Actually making me think about getting rid of the thing since it wouldn't work. Makes all my hopes and dreams of what the car could be go up in smoke.

1.5 years later and I’m in this boat. Car is at the dealer and has failed all day to take. Smh

Can’t tell you how disappointed I am, as I already had them do springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #28
LYTSOUT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 F30 xDrive 6MT

Much to my dismay, I'm the latest victim of the [supposedly rare] Shockware installation failure

Car: bone stock 2015 F30 N55 ///M Sport 6MT

Location: Reggie's Motorworks, Indianapolis, IN (they're a Dinan-approved shop, they were very nice and apologetic about it, and they didn't charge me a dime so I'm definitely not hating on them)

Date/Time: THIS MORNING

Issue: The shop tried to install it for 2h and even talked to a Dinan tech on the phone for 45mins straight during that process. I called Dinan as I was driving home (nearly in tears!) and talked to the guy my shop was consulting throughout the process. He's gonna have their tech guys look into the data logs and get back to me in the next few days. He didn't seem super optimistic, but he did say that it's possible they'll find something correctable and get it done.

Dinan_Engineering , if you're out there, PLEASE HELP!! I've heard such good things about this product, I was super psyched to finally install it, and, to be honest, it's one of the main reasons I bought a car with adaptive suspension
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-B58 F30, 6MT, M Sport, M Perf Exhaust, Dinan Springs, BM3 Stg 1
-My B58 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1981176
-My F80 Build Thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757458
-My N55 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739248

Last edited by LYTSOUT; 02-14-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #29
LYTSOUT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 F30 xDrive 6MT

It's official...I'm f--ked. This just in from Dinan today: "Unfortunately, Shockware will not work with your specific vehicle. We’ve checked your BCU & PCU numbers and your combination cannot be flashed. We sincerely apologize for this."

Disappointed doesn't even begin to express my feelings about this situation right now.
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-B58 F30, 6MT, M Sport, M Perf Exhaust, Dinan Springs, BM3 Stg 1
-My B58 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1981176
-My F80 Build Thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757458
-My N55 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739248
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #30
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Yeah just tried to have shockware installed on my 2017 340i xDrive. It took 3 hours the first time and once installed, it threw a Chassis Malfunction warning that locked the car in comfort mode. Flashed back to stock and tried again and still didn’t work. No luck. God, i miss my E90. Suspension and steering were perfect without any of this active bullshit
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #31
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Add me to the list of failed Dinan Shockware attempts. Tried today on my 2015 335i with no luck. The Dinan authorized shop I went to, E1 Motorsports in Houston, tried multiple attempts and got the guys at Dinan on the phone. If I'm remembering correctly, the response was that Dinan's flash couldn't find the suspension EDC. My car is a factory M-Sport with M-Adaptive suspension, so all the goodies should be there for it to find. The shop I was at commented that the recent successful flashes they had were on newer model year vehicles. It doesn't sound like the shop has ever seen a failure before.

It took a two hour drive to my nearest Dinan authorized dealer to find this out. Oh well, at least I met some good people while I was there.
      08-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #32
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbreez View Post
Add me to the list of failed Dinan Shockware attempts. Tried today on my 2015 335i with no luck. The Dinan authorized shop I went to, E1 Motorsports in Houston, tried multiple attempts and got the guys at Dinan on the phone. If I'm remembering correctly, the response was that Dinan's flash couldn't find the suspension EDC. My car is a factory M-Sport with M-Adaptive suspension, so all the goodies should be there for it to find. The shop I was at commented that the recent successful flashes they had were on newer model year vehicles. It doesn't sound like the shop has ever seen a failure before.

It took a two hour drive to my nearest Dinan authorized dealer to find this out. Oh well, at least I met some good people while I was there.
Interesting, I actually went to E1 as well in Houston to have this added to my car. First time it went fine... and after bmw had to reset my dme (unrelated), it worked again the second time. No issues here, and the guys there are great. 2016 340i thp
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 11:51 PM   #33
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
It's official...I'm f--ked. This just in from Dinan today: "Unfortunately, Shockware will not work with your specific vehicle. We’ve checked your BCU & PCU numbers and your combination cannot be flashed. We sincerely apologize for this."

Disappointed doesn't even begin to express my feelings about this situation right now.
Yep same issue, I was really bummed to find out my cars software isn't compatible with shockware apparently. So stupid man…
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 12:11 AM   #34
Cobra358
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Haven't given up but it is back-burner given the extremely limited numbers of failures. Ultimately what is going to be needed is a local car that has the issue that we can have access to directly. Seemingly every failure thus far has been across the country and shipping in a car to potentially be ripped apart and down for weeks, if not months, is not appealing. From a distance we have done about everything we can to try and assess what the common variable is between all the failures without much luck. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. A local problematic car is seemingly the only way its going to be resolved as downtime and costs associated are streamlined.

As an illustration to how rare the failures are.... of the various shockware skus there have been a total of 1164 successful installs to date. Last I saw the amount of failed installs was under 20. It should also be noted that it is not limited to 4 series--2&3 series have had some instances as well. The 5 and 6 series I think have escaped any failures but they also are much lower volume.
I have one of the cars, 2017 340i that the install wouldn't work. I went with dinan springs and B-6s, very happy now. I suspect the number of failures is higher than 20. How would Dinan know if an install failed? I wasn't charged anything, I am not sure Dinan would know of the fail unless shops tell them and they write it down.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #35
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra358 View Post
I have one of the cars, 2017 340i that the install wouldn't work. I went with dinan springs and B-6s, very happy now. I suspect the number of failures is higher than 20. How would Dinan know if an install failed? I wasn't charged anything, I am not sure Dinan would know of the fail unless shops tell them and they write it down.
Seems like you answered your own question.