F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 6MT Auto Rev Matching Change? (Resolved)
ARMA SPEED

11-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #67
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

The guy up there just said the rev matching is from the hub .. "wheel sensor" http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=60.

And I read elsewhere (of course I can't find it now!) that the speedo on these newer cars is also from the hub sensor as well. I don't know if that's true or not, but the guy on the internet said it is and as such you can change tire size on these cars and the speedo will remain correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #68
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
The guy up there just said the rev matching is from the hub .. "wheel sensor" http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=60.

And I read elsewhere (of course I can't find it now!) that the speedo on these newer cars is also from the hub sensor as well. I don't know if that's true or not, but the guy on the internet said it is and as such you can change tire size on these cars and the speedo will remain correct.
The wheel speed sensor has no way to know you changed tire size, so even if it was used for the vehicle speed, it would still show the incorrect speed after a tire size change. The only method the car has available to it to ensure the speedometer is correct is GPS. Which, maybe they are using... but I doubt it. If you do a burnout, does the speedometer show the speed of the wheel, or the speed of the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #69
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Rev Matching Change- AG acknowledges issue

I mentioned a couple pages back that I have the same rev-matching issue on my 2017 (Oct/Nov 2016 produced) 340i 6MT. My software was updated in September '17 and experienced the change from rev-matching on 1 or multiple gear downshift to rev-matching on only 1 gear downshifts.

I took my car in yesterday to the dealer to have them resolve the issue. After having the car for over a day, my SA (Edwin @ BMW of Louisville - he's fantastic!) confirmed to me that they have been in contact with both regional and BMW AG engineers who acknowledge this is an issue from the last software update and they are working on correcting. The approximate timing is March 2018. So while I didn't get it fixed now, I do know that it is a known/acknowledged issue they are working on. Fingers crossed it actually happens.

Edit to add what the service invoice states:

CUSTOMER STATES THAT SINCE THE LAST SOFTWARE UPDATE, THE REVMATCHING IS WORKING ONLY WHEN THE VEHICLE IS DOWNSHIFTED 1GEAR (EX: 4TH to 3RD, 3RD TO 2ND). BUT WHEN GOING DOWN MULTIPLE GEARS (6TH TO 4TH, 5TH TO 3RD) IS ISNT MATCHING -CHECK & ADVISE
Cause: Software error.
Correction: Advanced information states there's a known issue with rev-matching when performing two gear downshifts after being programmed. Additional changes to the strategy are planned for upcoming software which will return the two gear downshift functionality.

Last edited by tsbrown; 11-16-2017 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 4
kern4174449.50
Araemo190.50
mkrup8710.50
      11-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #70
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
I mentioned a couple pages back that I have the same rev-matching issue on my 2017 (Oct/Nov 2016 produced) 340i 6MT. My software was updated in September '17 and experienced the change from rev-matching on 1 or multiple gear downshift to rev-matching on only 1 gear downshifts.

I took my car in yesterday to the dealer to have them resolve the issue. After having the car for over a day, my SA (Edwin @ BMW of Louisville - he's fantastic!) confirmed to me that they have been in contact with both regional and BMW AG engineers who acknowledge this is an issue from the last software update and they are working on correcting. The approximate timing is March 2018. So while I didn't get it fixed now, I do know that it is a known/acknowledged issue they are working on. Fingers crossed it actually happens.

That is great.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #71
PushingRedline
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi M-Sport

Quote:

At least they have acknowledged that it is an issue now. Keep us posted when you get a more specific date. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #72
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

CUSTOMER STATES THAT SINCE THE LAST SOFTWARE UPDATE, THE REVMATCHING IS WORKING ONLY WHEN THE VEHICLE IS DOWNSHIFTED 1GEAR (EX: 4TH to 3RD, 3RD TO 2ND). BUT WHEN GOING DOWN MULTIPLE GEARS (6TH TO 4TH, 5TH TO 3RD) IS ISNT MATCHING -CHECK & ADVISE
Correction: Advanced information states there's a known issue with rev-matching when performing two gear downshifts after being programmed. Additional changes to the strategy are planned for upcoming software which will return the two gear downshift functionality.

Thanks for the update. I actually got my 'you've had your car exactly one year, how do you like it?' call from my dealership, so I mentioned this to them again. Also got a call from some guy in 'executive customer care' in response to my whinging on social media.. but no one has given me this detail yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #73
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Thanks for the update. I actually got my 'you've had your car exactly one year, how do you like it?' call from my dealership, so I mentioned this to them again. Also got a call from some guy in 'executive customer care' in response to my whinging on social media.. but no one has given me this detail yet.
We have only 1 BMW dealer here and I've bought multiple cars from them. I've been with the same SA at this dealer for years because he's really good at what he does. Helps that he and another SA are also CCA members that occasionally participate in club activities so it's not just a job for them. Probably it's a combination of these things that I get very good service. I can't remember the last time I had to complain even a little to get something fixed right. There may be a handful of F3x/F8x manual cars in town so this probably isn't a common issue for them to see in their service dept. That he went to AG to get the answer says a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #74
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We have only 1 BMW dealer here and I've bought multiple cars from them. I've been with the same SA at this dealer for years because he's really good at what he does. Helps that he and another SA are also CCA members that occasionally participate in club activities so it's not just a job for them. Probably it's a combination of these things that I get very good service. I can't remember the last time I had to complain even a little to get something fixed right. There may be a handful of F3x/F8x manual cars in town so this probably isn't a common issue for them to see in their service dept. That he went to AG to get the answer says a lot.
Well, please make sure to comment here when you get your software update to bring this feature back, so those with less useful dealers can go ask for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #75
CC ///M GUY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:

Just got a new software DL because of head unit. Consequently I lost my 2 gear downshift blip. Freaking hate it. Hopefully this gets resolved ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 05:43 AM   #76
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:

Any update on this? I still can't get over being annoyed with this glitch and can't wait for it to be fixed!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #77
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Any update on this? I still can't get over being annoyed with this glitch and can't wait for it to be fixed!
They said "March", there's a lot of march left where they can still meet that deadline.

I did ask my dealership to contact corporate and see if there were any updates on my PUMA case, and I finally got informed of the same facts mentioned above - it's now a known issue and they have plans to fix it this spring (I forget if they actually said March to me).
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #78
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They said "March", there's a lot of march left where they can still meet that deadline.

I did ask my dealership to contact corporate and see if there were any updates on my PUMA case, and I finally got informed of the same facts mentioned above - it's now a known issue and they have plans to fix it this spring (I forget if they actually said March to me).
Thanks! I'm just so impatient lol let's see what happens in the next month.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #79
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Talked with my SA yesterday and he said there was nothing yet in the official communications but would check with his contracts at NA and get back to me
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #80
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Talked with my SA yesterday and he said there was nothing yet in the official communications but would check with his contracts at NA and get back to me
Got the call from my SA that the new software update to correct the rev-matching is now available. My car goes in this week...can't wait.
Appreciate 1
kern4174449.50
      04-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #81
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got the call from my SA that the new software update to correct the rev-matching is now available. My car goes in this week...can't wait.
Definitely let us know if it's back to normal, or if it's just 'better'!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #82
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Please let us know any code or software level number associated with the fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #83
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Excited to hear! Please let us know if they left any other bad surprises as well. I lost my Rev matching and 5 blink all in one so not looking forward to another update!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:53 AM   #84
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Excited to hear! Please let us know if they left any other bad surprises as well. I lost my Rev matching and 5 blink all in one so not looking forward to another update!
I miss being able to adjust the blinks too.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #85
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I too lost my 5-blinks at the same software update last September. Thought it was just my car. Hope I can recode to return this feature next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #86
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I too lost my 5-blinks at the same software update last September. Thought it was just my car. Hope I can recode to return this feature next weekend.
Hopefully everything is right in the world after this update Super anxious!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #87
tsbrown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely let us know if it's back to normal, or if it's just 'better'!
Curious to know what you consider "better" vs "normal". Currently, holding the clutch in and shifting 2 gears lower there is no rev-match but going back up to just 1 gear lower with the clutch still engaged blips the throttle to match revs, so it clearly remembers what the starting gear was. I would expect "normal" operation is the throttle blip to match revs at every gear below the current. I'd be satisfied with rev-matching a 2-gear downshift as I rarely, or never, downshift more than that.

Other bonus is I get new Michelin PS4S installed same visit and ditch the awful Bridgestone runflats for good.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #88
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Curious to know what you consider "better" vs "normal". Currently, holding the clutch in and shifting 2 gears lower there is no rev-match but going back up to just 1 gear lower with the clutch still engaged blips the throttle to match revs, so it clearly remembers what the starting gear was. I would expect "normal" operation is the throttle blip to match revs at every gear below the current. I'd be satisfied with rev-matching a 2-gear downshift as I rarely, or never, downshift more than that.

Other bonus is I get new Michelin PS4S installed same visit and ditch the awful Bridgestone runflats for good.
There are lots of options for better, you described one of them. I'd like to have the original behavior back: If you shift into a gear, the engine speed is matched to the gear ratio and vehicle speed. Period. (almost, anyway... you COULD confuse it by shifting into too many gears with one clutch pedal depression, if I recall correctly, but that was a really minor gripe).
Appreciate 0