F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should you be sensitive to country of assembly?
proTUNING Freaks

12-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
egal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Should you be sensitive to country of assembly?

When locating a recent E90, I was searching for only German assembled 335xi's and were harder to come by. Around here, South African assembled vehicles were plentiful.

I am considering doing an ED vs PCD for my F30 just to make sure the assembly is German.

**I think** that I will get a better quality product from Germany.

Am I off my rocker?

Is there ability to specify where the F30 will be built when placing an order?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelbert View Post
When locating a recent E90, I was searching for only German assembled 335xi's and were harder to come by. Around here, South African assembled vehicles were plentiful.

I am considering doing an ED vs PCD for my F30 just to make sure the assembly is German.

Am I off my rocker?

It's a question I've wondered about as well.
I really don't think it makes much of a difference for a few reasons.

Regardless of where the final assembly is, the design and parts are identical, so I don't see any difference there.
Also consider that much of the assembly work is handled by robots, and that indicates equal performance in the quality of assembly.

As far as the parts that are assembled and installed by human hands, these workers are BMW trained and do the work in a BMW designed and equipped facility. I'm sure BMW trains the workers equally in any BMW plant.
For those reasons I wouldn't think that there would be much variability in the final product.

Perhaps you are like me and you expect your German automobile to be built by Germans. That then leads to the question you asked.

In the Chicago area I haven't run across many BMW's built in S. Africa.
The vast majority were from Germany.
I would think that there are a lot more German built BMW's for the
N. American market, and the S. African built BMW's are mostly for the mid. East and Asian markets and Aussie land.
Seems that would be likely due to transport needs.
But, that's just my guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

My 2005 built E90 325i was proudly built in South Africa. It is still going just perfectly since the day I took delivery of it. Still feels and drives like a new BMW.

Remember, the factory might be in South Africa but it is still a BMW factory with many years (officially BMW since 1973) of assembly experience.

And yep, my proposed F30 328i M-Sport will, in all probability, come out of Rosslyn as well. Looking forward to that.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.

Last edited by David328M-Sport; 12-31-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Every BMW whether manufactured in India , China , South Africa or the USA is built to the same quality standards, uses the same materials and production processes as a BMW assembled in Munich or elsewhere in Germany. The only thing different is country of origin.

Production, and every aspect of assembly processes are designed in Munich and then transferred to the BMW worldwide manufacturing network.
      12-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

didnt know the f30 was being built other than in germany...
      12-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelbert View Post

Am I off my rocker?

I'm with you: I want a German car built in Germany. When I bought my E90 in 2005 on ED, I asked if it was possible the car would be built in SA. I was told ED cars are always built in Germany. That's why my newly ordered F30 will also be picked up in Munich next summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Cski1
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Off Rocker.

But emotionally, it matters to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well, it's kind of like saying the techs in the US and the techs in Germany are the same... I think cars are taken MUCH more seriously in Germany, and far more qualification is required to work on them there. So... I would take a car made entirely there if possible. Though I agree that over time, automation is increasing so much that it matters less and less.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

South Africa always beaten all the German factories in BMW's internal quality audits except the year Leipzig came online with E90. The next year SA was ontop again and then later Leipzig stopped making E90.

The cars are made at a slower pace in SA which helps the quality

When Japan switched to SA 3 series sourcing they reported a far lower defect rate than from the German factories.

Capacity is being increased at the factory for the new F30 and im sure as soon as full production volume is underway in the next 2 months SA will again lead the way for quality
And with the capacity increase you will see many more South African made cars in the USA
      01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
didnt know the f30 was being built other than in germany...
The F30 is currently being built in both Germany and South Africa
      01-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
In the Chicago area I haven't run across many BMW's built in S. Africa.
The vast majority were from Germany.
I would think that there are a lot more German built BMW's for the
N. American market, and the S. African built BMW's are mostly for the mid. East and Asian markets and Aussie land.
Seems that would be likely due to transport needs.
But, that's just my guess.
Around 60% of the 330 or so E90 made daily in South Africa went to the USA
Expect more with the F30

The other big markets for the factory are Japan, South Africa, Australia, rest of Africa
      01-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
StewartM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus Mk3 1.0 - 125 Zetec

Wasn't there a time when all right hand drive 3 Series Saloons came from South Africa ?

For a while I was led to believe that Plant concentrated on RHD production, though I have recently been led to believe SA is making more LHDs and Germany is making more RHDs.

Stewart.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Expect more with the F30

The other big markets for the factory are Japan, South Africa, Australia, rest of Africa
Hello, there E90Fleet! I was hoping you'd be back, active in the F30 forums. You were a source of much valued (and accurate) E90 info when I was more active here in '05 after I bought my 330i via ED.

Say, I don't want to hijack this thread, but can you definitively answer the question of whether or not one can order an F30 with 2TB but NOT ZSL? IOW, is 2TB only available with Sport line?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartM View Post
Wasn't there a time when all right hand drive 3 Series Saloons came from South Africa ?

For a while I was led to believe that Plant concentrated on RHD production, though I have recently been led to believe SA is making more LHDs and Germany is making more RHDs.

Stewart.
No, they never made all RHD vehhicles.
They make many more LHD vehicles than RHD ones with most LHD ones going to the USA
      01-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Hello, there E90Fleet! I was hoping you'd be back, active in the F30 forums. You were a source of much valued (and accurate) E90 info when I was more active here in '05 after I bought my 330i via ED.

Say, I don't want to hijack this thread, but can you definitively answer the question of whether or not one can order an F30 with 2TB but NOT ZSL? IOW, is 2TB only available with Sport line?
Thanks for the kind words

Those options are mostly regulated by each country and BMW USA info on the F30 is still scarce.
They may also change their specs and possible options after the first few months of production

Will keep a lookout for more info on this and post if I find
      01-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Welkom terug E90Fleet.

Waka waka voor Suid Afrika.

(Not very good at Afrikaans, but it's a bit similar to Dutch lol)

Groet
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Welkom terug E90Fleet.

Waka waka voor Suid Afrika.

(Not very good at Afrikaans, but it's a bit similar to Dutch lol)

Groet
Robin
Dankie

Not too bad Afrikaans
      01-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
ppatel223
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 I3.0

In my experience, it does make difference. I bought two new camry's in 03, american made and japan made. I drove american made, which had bit rattle and noise on rough roads. Gap b/w parts were not precise. My younger brother drove japad made, which looked to build more correctly as in alignments of gap b/w panels and parts. So I don't know if this true among other brands and countries.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I'm going to be honest so don't flame me for it
I will not buy a bmw thats built in the US or China for many reasons...not going to explain
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
Well, it's kind of like saying the techs in the US and the techs in Germany are the same... I think cars are taken MUCH more seriously in Germany, and far more qualification is required to work on them there. So... I would take a car made entirely there if possible. Though I agree that over time, automation is increasing so much that it matters less and less.
That's quite an assumption. Do you have any evidence for that?

Please don't compare US cars to German cars as that is no indication of "far more qualification" for as assembly line.
Engineering is what determines how a car will function.
An American automobile built by US workers is not designed by those workers, they assembly what they are given, just as a BMW line worker assembles what he/she is given.

As you've already pointed out, automation is huge with BMW.
But companies like Hyundai and Kia have some of the most modern assembly plants in the world and their automobiles demonstrate the modernity of assembly. Those cars are built to a price point, just as a BMW is built to a price point.

So, what evidence do you have to support your assertion that German assembly line workers are better trained or take it more seriously?
We all know that reliability is not a BMW winning point. So, is the fault with the design/engineering, the assembly, or the workers putting all that together?
As a whole, in 2011, the German brands are in the bottom half of reliability ratings, the US brands towards the middle, and the Asian brands towards the top.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Expect more with the F30

That's an interesting statistic given my experience with what is available in the Chicago area market.

Still, of all 3 series built, what percentage are built in Germany and what from S.A.?

Maybe this area gets a larger percentage of German built 3's.
Could be, I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #22
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's an interesting statistic given my experience with what is available in the Chicago area market.

Still, of all 3 series built, what percentage are built in Germany and what from S.A.?

Maybe this area gets a larger percentage of German built 3's.
Could be, I don't know.
SA built around 330 Sedans a day
Germany built around 1,100 Sedans a day between the plants

Munich will reach 680 F30 Sedans a day
SA plans around 440 F30 sedans a day
Regensburg will make the rest