F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 Burble Consistency?
ARMA SPEED

05-11-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
aadrew
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Garage List
Bootmod3 Burble Consistency?

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious to hear if anyone else's car does this.

I have the car flashed with the max aggression for burbles on Stage 2 91 OCT AGG.

For any driving less than 60 miles per hour the burbles will stay precisely consistent in frequency and they sound loud like gunshots (typically from 2-4k RPM). But the moment I hit the highway or go over 60 mph any burble at all after this point (at any speed or RPM) has had the original volume cut in half, and the consistency of the burbles is all over the place.

I realize this may be the car adjusting to the flash and making changes to save fuel but is there a way to stop it and keep the burbles? I can actually re-flash the car to get back the original loud burbles but who wants to flash it almost every time they leave the house?

-
Bottom line: If my car can make loud gunshot burbles, it doesn't matter if they go away. Because I know that my car is capable of making those noises then in theory there must be a way to tell the car to not make any changes or adjustment to the burble right?

I submitted a BM3 ticket a while ago just to hear their thoughts and they were kind and helpful but their solution was to go straight pipe and ditch my catted DP. I know they're busy working on a ton of tunes for all the different beamer models so I didn't want to bother them any further but I've been straight piped and catless long before bootmod.

(2014 435i, VRSF catless DP, ER intercooler, ER chargepipe, Dinan CAI.)

Maybe I just have to deal with it, I'm not sure. Welcome to any suggestions or ideas, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadrew View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious to hear if anyone else's car does this.

I have the car flashed with the max aggression for burbles on Stage 2 91 OCT AGG.

For any driving less than 60 miles per hour the burbles will stay precisely consistent in frequency and they sound loud like gunshots (typically from 2-4k RPM). But the moment I hit the highway or go over 60 mph any burble at all after this point (at any speed or RPM) has had the original volume cut in half, and the consistency of the burbles is all over the place.

I realize this may be the car adjusting to the flash and making changes to save fuel but is there a way to stop it and keep the burbles? I can actually re-flash the car to get back the original loud burbles but who wants to flash it almost every time they leave the house?

-
Bottom line: If my car can make loud gunshot burbles, it doesn't matter if they go away. Because I know that my car is capable of making those noises then in theory there must be a way to tell the car to not make any changes or adjustment to the burble right?

I submitted a BM3 ticket a while ago just to hear their thoughts and they were kind and helpful but their solution was to go straight pipe and ditch my catted DP. I know they're busy working on a ton of tunes for all the different beamer models so I didn't want to bother them any further but I've been straight piped and catless long before bootmod.

(2014 435i, VRSF catless DP, ER intercooler, ER chargepipe, Dinan CAI.)

Maybe I just have to deal with it, I'm not sure. Welcome to any suggestions or ideas, thanks.
There's a ton of factors as to why it could be quieter at highway speeds, but I'd bet that it's a lot less quieter than you think -- it's just that at highway speeds it's harder to hear with with tire noise, traffic noise, and there's also a lot more open space on the highway (less surfaces for sound to bounce off of).

Try driving through a tunnel at highway speeds with your windows down, or in a lane next to a wall or barricade to check it out.

The other thing to consider as well is that one thing that IS different, regardless of RPMs or pedal input, is engine load, which affects a whole host of things from throttle position and air intake to fuel consumption.

Also, driving on the highway (where the revs are consistent, as opposed to stop and go traffic on surface roads) the temperature of your exhaust (which is what ignites the "burbles") is going to be higher. The higher temperature could easily affect burble frequency and intensity. It's the same reason why (on most straight piped cars I've owned anyway) when the engine is warming up, you're more likely to get one or two occasional "gunshots", as opposed to when the engine is warm you'll get more "gunshots" in addition to quieter burbles in the mix.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

burble are more aggressive on 2nd and 3rd gear, i noticed that with all the tunes i tried

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4687.00