F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Xhp Transmission Flash
proTUNING Freaks

09-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #265
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by demc1982 View Post
Is this the first time you're trying xhp with your phone?

The reason I ask is because xhp conveniently fail to tell you that not all android device manufactures actually support Ethernet connections. For example I tried a Google Pixel 3 and a Huawei pro30, neither of them even had the option to configure an Ethernet port. Tried again with a galaxy s10 and it was plain sailing.

Another point... I first tried with my s9 but it wouldn't connect. In the end i found out my usb port was a bit dodgy. Although the phone would charge up using the usb port it wouldn't transfer data unless you really pushed the cable into the port quite hard and held it steady. Far too unreliable to flash a transmission.
My P30 pro does support Ethernet when plugged into my home network so that is odd. I've got a Pixel XL and a Nexus 6P somewhere in the house. I also have a couple of tablets dotted around too that I could try. Failing this I might have to steal my wifes Samsung S10 to see how that goes! I'm more against doing something that means I've got to faff around with a different device.

My P30 pro's usb port is about 3 weeks old as it was knackered and replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #266
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Quote:
Is this the first time you're trying xhp with your phone?

The reason I ask is because xhp conveniently fail to tell you that not all android device manufactures actually support Ethernet connections. For example I tried a Google Pixel 3 and a Huawei pro30, neither of them even had the option to configure an Ethernet port. Tried again with a galaxy s10 and it was plain sailing.

Another point... I first tried with my s9 but it wouldn't connect. In the end i found out my usb port was a bit dodgy. Although the phone would charge up using the usb port it wouldn't transfer data unless you really pushed the cable into the port quite hard and held it steady. Far too unreliable to flash a transmission.
My P30 pro does support Ethernet when plugged into my home network so that is odd. I've got a Pixel XL and a Nexus 6P somewhere in the house. I also have a couple of tablets dotted around too that I could try. Failing this I might have to steal my wifes Samsung S10 to see how that goes! I'm more against doing something that means I've got to faff around with a different device.

My P30 pro's usb port is about 3 weeks old as it was knackered and replaced under warranty.
Just use the s10 and save any hassle
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #267
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well the s10 connected once then not again... I bought the licenses but ive been unable to apply them. Bit miffed really but cant be arsed to attack the wifes s10 anymore
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #268
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I sent some questions to XHP regarding the Line Pressure Bump. The answers are particularly relevant to those running remapped engines (especially the 3L diesels).

= = =

You can run Line pressure also if your car does not reach those levels of torque where the line pressure would raise.

Line Pressure Bump is applied by the XHP-flashed TCU when clutch slip is detected or on high torque levels.

The default Line pressure on Stage 3 is about 17 Bar. If you activate the line pressure bump and if clutch slip is detected or a high torque amount is registered the line pressure can raise between 1-3 bar.

XHP has tested this and thats why we made it automated and not as standard to run with the max 19 bar. It's just safer for the oil pump to run with lower pressure if not needed.

= = =

So it seems that Line Pressure Bump (which has now appeared in XHP for iOS as well) is a 'flash and forget' option for Stage 3 maps which does not run the fluid pump as full pressure continuously.

I also sent some feedback about two specific aspects of XHP (I'm already running Stage 3) :

I sometimes find that Comfort won't select 8th until 2200rpm unless I give a momentary lift of the throttle, even though the engine will easily cruise as low as 1200rpm.

I find that DTC = Sport is annoying. There's no need (IMO) to force a transmission mode change just because the driver wants to activate DTC.

Both items have been 'noted'.

It's always good to at least get an acknowledgement from developers and manufacturers and even better to get a meaningful reply.

Hope those with XHP, or interested in it, find that useful.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
APJ245.00
MAKH 588.50
      09-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #269
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I finally got it set up on my car today using a dcan cable rather than the enet cable. Went for a quick blast and was annoyed at having to drive sedately for a while to let it all settle in. I found lifting off whilst on the motorway was almost juddery but that got better with time.

The gear changes are lightning quick. It's shocking that BMW never made them this fast to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #270
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
lol probably because your going to get your "majority" who want more "luxury" vs "sport" that will complain that it shifts too hard for their liking
      09-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #271
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

But the thing is it's super rapid when in sport but in eco it just seems to be quicker without any jerkyness. It might not change eco but it seemed incredibly smooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #272
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yup i totally agree with ya. i love my flash and stage 3 is perfect for me. I just know that my dad for example - who has been a 7er driver since the late 80s feels like "something is wrong". Can't compare the two platforms since they target two different consumer groups but im sure its a mix between longevity and comfort for hte masses.
      09-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #273
Sgm123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

What stage did you go Chris. First 50 miles are a bit painful then the fun starts. Should be nicely adapted ready for the downpipe
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #274
scoss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW - F31 - 335D

I’ve gone for stage 2 which is serving me well. Comfort/D is effortless anyway. Very happy with that. Then when you want to switch it up sport and DS is loads of fun. Not played too much with manual but that’s almost another level of fun. Pulledl out of junction the other day along this country road, before I knew it I was over 70 with what literally felt no time at all. Loads of fun all round but it’s the day to day D/comfort which still impresses me everyday.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #275
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

Ffs someone has gone over 70mph! Shit hold the front page!

I'll give you some proper feedback from someone who has actually tried all the stages.

Before it tried xhp my gearbox ran faultlessly. The gear shift maps and logic were spot on.

Stage 3 came with its problems that did not exist before hand.

In drive I thought it held on to 2nd too long.

The rest of the shift points felt fine.

I also noticed a delay when planting the accelerator pedal in certain circumstances.

However gear shifts are now super sharp and crisp.

My point is... BMW develop the software to suit the car. If you're not happy with the performance then maybe you're not driving the car BMW intend you to drive. I drive a 335d and the gearbox logic is set up as a motorway cruiser not a racer

Xhp is a work in progress. Understand that first and you'll be fine. It ain't perfect but it's the best we have in terms of customisation. Maybe it's too advanced for most of us?

Either way give it a try, for the sake of £270 who gives a fuck you can always flash back to stock if needs be.

Regards your one and only
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #276
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The TCU continuously adapts to the driver's inputs.

Shift maps are multi-dimensional and shift points are not fixed.

Drive it hard and the TCU will hold the heads for longer. Take it easy and it'll short shift.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #277
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'll give you some proper feedback from someone who has actually tried all the stages.

Before it tried xhp my gearbox ran faultlessly. The gear shift maps and logic were spot on.

I also noticed a delay when planting the accelerator pedal in certain circumstances.

My point is... BMW develop the software to suit the car. If you're not happy with the performance then maybe you're not driving the car BMW intend you to drive. I drive a 335d and the gearbox logic is set up as a motorway cruiser not a racer

Xhp is a work in progress. Understand that first and you'll be fine. It ain't perfect but it's the best we have in terms of customisation. Maybe it's too advanced for most of us?

Either way give it a try, for the sake of £270 who gives a fuck you can always flash back to stock if needs be.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 06:06 AM   #278
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu101 View Post
What stage did you go Chris. First 50 miles are a bit painful then the fun starts. Should be nicely adapted ready for the downpipe
Jumped straight for stage 3. No point mincing around when it's where it was always going to end up.

I've done closer to 80 miles since applying it and it's cracking. The 8th -> 4th gear kickdowns are hilarious if not a bit terrifying when you spin up. The downshifts when approaching roundabouts in D/S are excellent too.

It's a decent bit of money but it also really works.

Eco Pro, 80-90mph on the motorway cruising as normal was ... normal
Putting it into S+ and mashing my foot was just more fun.

Last edited by chris-c; 09-08-2020 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #279
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu101 View Post
Jumped straight for stage 3. No point mincing around when it's where it was always going to end up.

I've done closer to 80 miles since applying it and it's cracking. The 8th -> 4th gear kickdowns are hilarious if not a bit terrifying when you spin up. The downshifts when approaching roundabouts in D/S are excellent too.

It's a decent bit of money but it also really works.

Eco Pro, 80-90mph on the motorway cruising as normal was ... normal
Putting it into S+ and mashing my foot was just more fun.
8th to 4th kickdowns will not be healthy for your transmission if you are running a high torque application.

I would never tell anyone how to drive but if I ever feel the need to go from 8th to 4th I would try to "prime" the gearbox first. What I mean by that is manually dropping it a few cogs and then planting the loud pedal. Otherwise the shock loads inside the transmission would be extreme.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:21 AM   #280
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't ask it to do 8th -> 4th and the torque of my car will be far less than yours. Maybe the diesel variants have different logic.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #281
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

Does anyone know if the input to the TCU for the engine torque value is the same input that is used for the sports dials?

I'm asking because my torque sport dial scale maximum is 720Nm but my engine produces 760Nm. It is important for the TCU to know the true torque as it sets line pressure accordingly.

I know 40Nm is not much but when the transmission is rated, by ZF, at 700Nm it could be the difference between being on the limit or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #282
Kobylash
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp 6MT

Has anyone encountered issues with launch control when using xHP? I was looking forward to testing out the improved launch at the drag strip on the weekend but every time I tried to launch the car went into limp mode once I got going. I've reached out to xHP to get their advice but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

Only one code stored, CDC10C which I can't find any information on other than "Signal (Status of transmission gear selection, 0x39A) invalid, receiver DME2, transmitter GWS".

For reference I'm using xHP Stage 3 with BM3 Stage 2 93 tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #283
Kobylash
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobylash View Post
Has anyone encountered issues with launch control when using xHP? I was looking forward to testing out the improved launch at the drag strip on the weekend but every time I tried to launch the car went into limp mode once I got going. I've reached out to xHP to get their advice but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

Only one code stored, CDC10C which I can't find any information on other than "Signal (Status of transmission gear selection, 0x39A) invalid, receiver DME2, transmitter GWS".

For reference I'm using xHP Stage 3 with BM3 Stage 2 93 tune.
If anyone else happens to have this problem down the road it seems to be related to traction. If you're very traction limited (lots of spin) on launch the car will go into limp mode. It was a prepped track but I was running the stock pilot super sports and the temp was only 6C (40f) so of course the tires were very cold.

I'll have to go back again in the spring when things warm up, maybe with wider tires and see if I encounter the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #284
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

I've been running stage 3 since it first released, never flashed any other stages, I went to do lapping with it, drive it in winter, and it drives perfectly, whether I'm on comfort or sport. If you slap the trans to the left and put it on sport+ it shifts how's it's supposed to, super quick and efficiently, and if you leave it on comfort, it won't shift as quickly as it's what's it supposed to be on, comfortable. They have an option to use stock shiftmaps so it doesn't hold gears too long.
      10-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #285
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Hello all, I have read through this 13 page forum. I apologize if this has been answered already but I have not found a concise discussion or fix for this anywhere on the forums. I recently flashed XHP stage 2 on my 2014 335I xdrive. I currently have BM3 stage 1 with an upgraded charge pipe/fmic. I have noticed that comfort mode is smoother but shifts noticeably slower than stock. This isnt so much of problem, but when im in comfort and trying to use manual mode, there is legitimately a 1 second delay between me pulling the shifter and it actually shifting.. I understand XHP modifies the DEC & D/S function but is there anyway to fix this? This does not happen in Sport or Sport+, only in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #286
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Hello all, I have read through this 13 page forum. I apologize if this has been answered already but I have not found a concise discussion or fix for this anywhere on the forums. I recently flashed XHP stage 2 on my 2014 335I xdrive. I currently have BM3 stage 1 with an upgraded charge pipe/fmic. I have noticed that comfort mode is smoother but shifts noticeably slower than stock. This isnt so much of problem, but when im in comfort and trying to use manual mode, there is legitimately a 1 second delay between me pulling the shifter and it actually shifting.. I understand XHP modifies the DEC & D/S function but is there anyway to fix this? This does not happen in Sport or Sport+, only in comfort.
Nope, it's how it's made, if you want to have fast shifts, slap the transmission to the left, and put it on sport/sport+

I've learned to live with it and it really doesn't bother me as comfort is meant for comfort.