F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Reverse camera OEM style retrofit for $199 shipped - DIY Details
proTUNING Freaks

01-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #155
PJ_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Did you check the fuses yet? Did you disconnect the battery before doing the install?
Battery disconnected during install, yes.

I have not done a fuse check yet. Will check those after work.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #156
PJ_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_ View Post
Battery disconnected during install, yes.

I have not done a fuse check yet. Will check those after work.
All fuses were good. I disconnected and reconnected each plug and everything now works as it should. Odd, but happy it’s up and running. Thanks for the info OP!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #157
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_ View Post
All fuses were good. I disconnected and reconnected each plug and everything now works as it should. Odd, but happy it’s up and running. Thanks for the info OP!

I feel like you might have forgotten to plug in some connectors haha glad you got it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:42 PM   #158
Hali_Mark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4jh View Post
Hali_Mark,
Look at post 125 for a possible answer. It worked for me.
I finally got around to trying this and it worked perfectly.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #159
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

Hey guys, I got this system yesterday but am getting a blank screen when I have it connected. Any thoughts of what it could be? Already speaking to the seller to try and find a solution
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #160
rob2241
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoddar View Post
Hey guys, I got this system yesterday but am getting a blank screen when I have it connected. Any thoughts of what it could be? Already speaking to the seller to try and find a solution
Same here. Just installed but have a blank screen, not sure what the issue is - I moved the fiber optic cables over too. Thinking maybe it's the dip switches but I'm not sure - were you able to figure out a solution with the seller?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:05 AM   #161
flybefree
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
I have a 2016 435i Gran Coupe. I bought this unit way back in November of last year. It took me around 4 hours to install, mostly to thread the camera wire up through the hatchback and under the interior trim. After I was done, the screen was completely blank, all the time, even when the gear selector wasn't in reverse. I moved over the fiber optic cables, and could still hear the XM radio playing, so it seems like they were seated correctly. The LEDs on the camera interface box are illuminated - the red light is steady on and the green light blinks. When I took the camera interface box out of the video signal path by connecting the screen directly back to the NBT head unit, but leaving the main quadlock interloper harness in place, everything was back to normal, so I imagine that the harness is connected correctly. Because of the connector prongs, there is only one way to connect the LVDS cables.

Allen Wong, with CarNaviPlayer, has been really good about responding to my difficulties, and even ended up sending me another camera interface box and harness, when I found out that returning the unit would cost $75 in shipping! I swapped the box and the problem persisted. Because of COVID-related scheduling issues, I just now got around to swapping the harness, and still, there is a completely blank screen with the box in play.

I watched the installation video again : https://youtu.be/GtLSH65A06s?t=708, and at 11:48, I see that the screen is blank when he starts the car and then he gets out to do some mystery thing (maybe opens the trunk to disconnect the battery?). There is a discontinuity in the video, and all of a sudden, the display works.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #162
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybefree View Post
I have a 2016 435i Gran Coupe. I bought this unit way back in November of last year. It took me around 4 hours to install, mostly to thread the camera wire up through the hatchback and under the interior trim. After I was done, the screen was completely blank, all the time, even when the gear selector wasn't in reverse. I moved over the fiber optic cables, and could still hear the XM radio playing, so it seems like they were seated correctly. The LEDs on the camera interface box are illuminated - the red light is steady on and the green light blinks. When I took the camera interface box out of the video signal path by connecting the screen directly back to the NBT head unit, but leaving the main quadlock interloper harness in place, everything was back to normal, so I imagine that the harness is connected correctly. Because of the connector prongs, there is only one way to connect the LVDS cables.

Allen Wong, with CarNaviPlayer, has been really good about responding to my difficulties, and even ended up sending me another camera interface box and harness, when I found out that returning the unit would cost $75 in shipping! I swapped the box and the problem persisted. Because of COVID-related scheduling issues, I just now got around to swapping the harness, and still, there is a completely blank screen with the box in play.

I watched the installation video again : https://youtu.be/GtLSH65A06s?t=708, and at 11:48, I see that the screen is blank when he starts the car and then he gets out to do some mystery thing (maybe opens the trunk to disconnect the battery?). There is a discontinuity in the video, and all of a sudden, the display works.
Yeah I was asked to return the box too but the shipping cost was like 100 dollars and soon after the covid lockdown happened. Please do update the thread or PM if you're able to find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #163
steveg_nh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5, 2012 528i

This kit seems very promising! I just bought a 2013 328i xDrive for my son and it doesn't have a camera or PDC, but does have Nav. I too like the Bimmer Tech setup, but not for $700. Two things always come to mind with chinese stuff, one are stupid issues (the black screen some of you recently have commented on) and longevity.

Can those that installed this last year comment on how it's holding up? Any issues?

And I'm not quite following the issues with the black/blank screen. Is this something unique to the car? Could it be a possible install issue?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #164
steveg_nh
Enlisted Member
Rep

I spoke to Allen and he was super helpful. Very responsive too. I just ordered this kit. Apparently, some CIC systems are actually NBT head units, as is in my case. And those are the 6pin connectors. If you really have CIC and ordered the 6pin connector, and plug your 4 pin into it, you will get a black screen. FYI in case this helps someone. Allen explained it all.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:54 PM   #165
steveg_nh
Enlisted Member
Rep

I installed this camera today and it works great, I'm very impressed with it actually. I really took my time to be sure I didn't damage anything, so it took me about 4.5 hrs start to finish. I also had to adjust the display DIP switches, turning #1 off as well as recently mentioned, otherwise my screen was shifted to the right a little bit.

I am experiencing an issue though. After putting the car all back together, the Bluetooth/phone is stuck on "Please wait..." I really hope a module didn't get cooked by unhooking the battery and reconnecting it. Everything else works good too, well except for the clock not setting yet, and not being able to do it from the iDrive settings either.

Edit: Bluetooth issues fixed and time. Be careful inserting the quad plug. Make sure it’s straight before locking it in. I think it was crooked when I did it and it forced the fiber receiver connectors into the headunit. I was able to open it up and reseat them and put it all back together. Everything works great now. And this camera is awesome for $199. Adding some pics.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by steveg_nh; 02-13-2021 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:44 AM   #166
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
I installed this camera today and it works great, I'm very impressed with it actually. I really took my time to be sure I didn't damage anything, so it took me about 4.5 hrs start to finish. I also had to adjust the display DIP switches, turning #1 off as well as recently mentioned, otherwise my screen was shifted to the right a little bit.

I am experiencing an issue though. After putting the car all back together, the Bluetooth/phone is stuck on "Please wait..." I really hope a module didn't get cooked by unhooking the battery and reconnecting it. Everything else works good too, well except for the clock not setting yet, and not being able to do it from the iDrive settings either.

Edit: Bluetooth issues fixed and time. Be careful inserting the quad plug. Make sure it’s straight before locking it in. I think it was crooked when I did it and it forced the fiber receiver connectors into the headunit. I was able to open it up and reseat them and put it all back together. Everything works great now. And this camera is awesome for $199. Adding some pics.

Thanks.
Quote:

Edit: Bluetooth issues fixed and time. Be careful inserting the quad plug. Make sure it's straight before locking it in. I think it was crooked when I did it and it forced the fiber receiver connectors into the headunit. I was able to open it up and reseat them and put it all back together. Everything works great now. And this camera is awesome for $199. Adding some pics.

Thanks.
Is it just me or does it look like your image in reverse isn't as angled down as everyone else's? My camera and the pics of other peoples all seem like the camera is angled down a lot but it looks like yours covers a wider angle. Anyone else notice this?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:00 AM   #167
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport F34

Why ta hell is this so expensive? I paid for mine exactly the same from Alliex*** for 1/3 of the price.
      02-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #168
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.
Attaching side by side comparison. I can barely see above the street in mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 11:29 PM   #169
penet05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Sdrive35i, 2013 328i

I had the same issue. The seller claimed it is normal, which I don't think it is. Anyway, did not want to have the hassle of a return. Therefore, I put cardboard on the trunk release and made it a little bit angled. Now it has better angle but still not perfect. Also, the quality of the picture is not that good. I guess yours is the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #170
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by penet05 View Post
I had the same issue. The seller claimed it is normal, which I don't think it is. Anyway, did not want to have the hassle of a return. Therefore, I put cardboard on the trunk release and made it a little bit angled. Now it has better angle but still not perfect. Also, the quality of the picture is not that good. I guess yours is the same.
Interesting would it be possible to take a picture of what you did and the outcome? I'm curious if we can just replace the camera portion for a better one.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #171
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

My idrive screen is completely blank after the reverse camera install. It is like as seen in this video but at 11:55 he mysteriously fixes it. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #172
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Quote:
My idrive screen is completely blank after the reverse camera install. It is like as seen in this video but at 11:55 he mysteriously fixes it. Any ideas?
If had a similar issue during my install last year. I'd check to see if the fiber optic cable is fully seated.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #173
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_F32 View Post
If had a similar issue during my install last year. I'd check to see if the fiber optic cable is fully seated.
Those fiber optic cables are just for sound so I wonder why reseating those cables will fix the black screen issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #174
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_F32 View Post
Those fiber optic cables are just for sound so I wonder why reseating those cables will fix the black screen issue.
They may work together. It was the issue in my install last year.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #175
MikeyMrtnz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Installed this about a year and half ago and last night my camera suddenly stopped working. I checked all the cables this morning and everything looks good, none of the wires were loose, everything is properly seated but no image comes up when in reverse. Anybody run into this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #176
steveg_nh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMrtnz View Post
Installed this about a year and half ago and last night my camera suddenly stopped working. I checked all the cables this morning and everything looks good, none of the wires were loose, everything is properly seated but no image comes up when in reverse. Anybody run into this issue?
So far so good for me, 8 months later. Fingers crossed. If I had to guess, I would say your camera went out, which would be the easiest fix. Do you get any display in reverse? Lines, anything?
Appreciate 0