F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Performance Brakes - Groaning
Extreme Powerhouse

10-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
BETA V1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

M Performance Brakes - Groaning

When I bought the car with 32k miles on it I noticed that during low speeds and low pressure on the brakes I could get the front brakes to groan. This is especially true when I am at a stop and just barely release the brake to crawl forward during traffic or parking situations It was like a deep vibration from the pad surface reverberating on to the disc and up the steering column. Some might describe it as a moan/squeal as well.

So I figured it was just the stock M Performance brake setup and when the pads were ready I would buy better ones that didn't have the noise issues.

Fast forward to 53,000 miles and I am have replaced the pads and discs on all four corners. I purchased Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and Zimmerman Dimpled Discs.

Its been 3k miles and they still groan/moan/squeal under the slow braking operation despite the new brakes being broken in.

From what I can tell its coming from the front driver said wheel compared to the other three.

Anyone else have this issue? Could I have stuck piston in the caliper or something that is not retracting properly applying pressure on the pad still despite my foot releasing pressure?

*I think an unrelated note but maybe worth sharing - unlike many of the online videos on how to bleed the brakes, I had to spent a good 15-20 minutes to get pressure in my vacuum bleeding pumping away. It took forever and despite checking all hoses and making sure nothing was leaking.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They're not properly greased. I bet there's a hundred threads on this topic, and the answer is always the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
BETA V1
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Just to clarify - what part(s) are not greased?

I used Liqui Moly and applied it to the back of all the pads and guide pins.

Did I miss something? Is there a better lube?

Last edited by BETA V1; 10-26-2020 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BETA V1 View Post

The dimples and slots also make noise while driving.
      10-27-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
When I bought the car with 32k miles on it I noticed that during low speeds and low pressure on the brakes I could get the front brakes to groan. This is especially true when I am at a stop and just barely release the brake to crawl forward during traffic or parking situations It was like a deep vibration from the pad surface reverberating on to the disc and up the steering column. Some might describe it as a moan/squeal as well.

So I figured it was just the stock M Performance brake setup and when the pads were ready I would buy better ones that didn't have the noise issues.

Fast forward to 53,000 miles and I am have replaced the pads and discs on all four corners. I purchased Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and Zimmerman Dimpled Discs.

Its been 3k miles and they still groan/moan/squeal under the slow braking operation despite the new brakes being broken in.

From what I can tell its coming from the front driver said wheel compared to the other three.

Anyone else have this issue? Could I have stuck piston in the caliper or something that is not retracting properly applying pressure on the pad still despite my foot releasing pressure?

*I think an unrelated note but maybe worth sharing - unlike many of the online videos on how to bleed the brakes, I had to spent a good 15-20 minutes to get pressure in my vacuum bleeding pumping away. It took forever and despite checking all hoses and making sure nothing was leaking.
From my experience with the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, they need a "fuck ton" of brake grease to keep them quiet at low speeds when warm/hot. I use my brakes pretty heavily for street use and sometimes I get them hot enough to squeal after a few runs in Mexico. I've also noticed because they needed more grease, the fronts had to be taken off, cleaned, and regreased after about 15k miles. They started squealing when cold and that was the solution. The pads are fantastic though. Smooth but confident cold bite and stopping 100+ is mind blowing compared to oem pads. The dust is a bit better too but not eliminated as much as ceramics would be.

On a side note, if you take it to an automatic car wash and have more of an open spike style wheel, the pressure washers for the wheels have actually taken off the grease from certain parts of my pad. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:

Grease goes on all the metal surfaces of the pads that come in contact with the calipers. I use this:
https://www.permatex.com/products/lu.../?locale=en_us
I would imagine that Liquimoly brake grease is similar.

If your pads don't have anti-squeal shims that contact the pistons use this on the back of the pads:
https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...c-brake-quiet/
Appreciate 0