F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Xhp Transmission Flash
Extreme Powerhouse

06-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #89
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
My mistake, my son who installed it says the initial download took 10 minutes and the installation took a couple of minutes. I blame my age on the confusion!
You didn't have a go yourself, you just let the younger tech savvy one do it instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #90
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
It probably takes thirty minutes altogether, ten minutes downloading the information to your device (which is done over the internet) and then five minutes for the flash, any subsequent flash takes less than a minute. You could do it in less time, but obviously you are a little cautious and purposely take your time, ensuring that a daft mistake is not made. I also didn't bother with a battery charger, it had been on a reasonable run, so didn't think any boost was needed.

You do have keep swapping from internet to adapter, as when you open the Xhp app, you have to be on the internet, once its quickly done its stuff and you see basically a big Connect sign, you then connect to the adapter, and then you can flash to your heart's content.
I'm just trying to work out which is quicker, the OBD cable or the Thor adapter.
I don't own a battery charger so quicker is good ..and I'm reluctant to spend £60 on a wifi adapter when I already own a vgate one.
Looking at YouTube videos of the flash, the initial flash alone seems to take 30-40 minutes?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #91
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
I'm just trying to work out which is quicker, the OBD cable or the Thor adapter.
I don't own a battery charger so quicker is good ..and I'm reluctant to spend £60 on a wifi adapter when I already own a vgate one.
Looking at YouTube videos of the flash, the initial flash alone seems to take 30-40 minutes?
No it doesn't take that long, when you are actually flashing to the car, it only takes four or five minutes, which does feel a long time, as you are praying the ignition doesn't turn off whilst you are doing the flash, but you do get a progress bar which also tells you how long is left of the process.
As i said before, the previous part when you download the information to your phone/tablet does take longer than the flash, but that will be dependent on your internet strength. Also you have the process of purchasing the app as well, it takes a little bit longer than you think, because you are not quite sure what you are doing, so you are following prompts and as i said before you just don't want to rush. But you get there, and its all quite painless, well maybe except for the cost of the app , and at that time you are not sure what you will be getting, but it definitely is worth it once all is complete and you've done your fifty miles.

Last edited by APJ; 06-24-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      06-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #92
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
No it doesn't take that long, when you are actually flashing to the car, it only takes four or five minutes, which does feel a long time, as you are praying the ignition doesn't turn off whilst you are doing the flash, but you do get a progress bar which also tells you how long is left of the process.
As i said before, the previous part when you download the information to your phone/tablet does take longer than the flash, but that will be dependent on your internet strength.
Ahh I see, so you don't need to be connected to the actual car while you download all the information then initially.

I'm quite tempted by this flash, my cars already pretty quick with the remap, so am interested in how much this improves its performance further.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #93
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ahh I see, so you don't need to be connected to the actual car while you download all the information then initially.

I'm quite tempted by this flash, my cars already pretty quick with the remap, so am interested in how much this improves its performance further.
Yes that's correct. Not sure it improves the performance directly, though obviously the gear changes are faster, its more about how it feels, Comfort mode no longer feels lethargic, so is part way between comfort and sport (when taking it easy it doesn't change gear until 2000 revs (diesel)) , and you get a lot less of those gear changes which seem to happen at the wrong time. When you are having a bit of fun and revving the car a little higher up the rev range, and you come across a corner, crest or any anything else that means you have to ease off the accelerator, it can have a bad habit because you have eased off, of going up a gear, it no longer does this it and it will hold the revs so that as soon as you pass your obstacle, you can can floor it again, and a way you go. For me now, the car is just far more drivable, no hesitation, no fuss, just does what you think it should do. But it does this in whatever the driving style, whether going slow or fast. Remembering that nearly all of our driving is done at very normal speeds.
Appreciate 1
fantanas112.00
      06-25-2019, 01:15 AM   #94
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

Quote:
You didn't have a go yourself, you just let the younger tech savvy one do it instead.
young pup is a computer whiz (business & I.T undergraduate at uni) and he wanted to do it .... besides, if it went wrong, i had someone to blame !
      06-25-2019, 03:21 AM   #95
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
young pup is a computer whiz (business & I.T undergraduate at uni) and he wanted to do it .... besides, if it went wrong, i had someone to blame !
Probably wanted to do it to get access to the credit card, expensive these days at uni !!
Also if he caught you in a good mood, he might get to have a little drive of the beast !!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #96
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

An update for those that are considering XHP - summary of replies received today from the point of contact at XHP :
  • Line pressure in the AT are increased according to any increased torque produced by the engine, i.e. remapped units. For cars producing twice the stock power, line pressure would be increased by a few psi and this will not damage the AT.
  • Remappers that advise against increasing line pressures in the AT don't know what they are talking about. [that said, my questions relating to the max line pressure rating in the ZF8HP AT and whether XHP increases the line pressures to the maximum, were not answered].
  • The average customer running XHP has 120k miles on the car [this is ambiguous : it doesn't mean that the car has done 120k miles with XHP, and it doesn't mean that XHP is safe to use with a car which has already done 120k miles].
  • There's no risk to a ZF8HP AT which has already done 85k miles (i.e. my car). [Obviously that's easy to say, and no way to prove it (or disprove it). It's all a matter of personal choice and risk.]
  • Line pressure has nothing to do with clutch slip (minimising it). [On that basis it seems (to me) that increased line pressure is only required for faster shifts. I'm happy to be corrected on that, if anyone knows otherwise. The response does seem, to me at least, to contradict XHP's own article : increased line pressure is required for increased clutch pressure and to minimise clutch slip.]

[IF line pressure only results in faster shifts but has no effect on clutch pressures/slip, I don't see what is creating the improved 'hook up', i.e. more direct drive, through the AT, unless this direct drive is a result of adjusting the AT map to utilise lower gears and higher shift points compared to the OEM map. Ian which case, I don't see any difference between XHP and simply running the AT in Sport/Sport+. Comments welcomed.]

I'm waiting for an answer regarding the XHP shift map, i.e. does the XHP map utilise the same gears and shift points in Comfort mode, compared to OEM, or does it select a lower gear at any given road speed ?

NO GROUP BUYS. Sorry chaps, I asked twice and finally got a clear reply.

The iOS App is now due in "autumn".

==========================

I'm not trying to be negative about the replies, it could be a language barrier, but I am not as clear as I'd like to be regarding XHP at a reasonably technical operation level. ATs are complex and expensive, and I don't feel like making an uninformed choice.

Personally I'm currently less inclined to pay what could be near to £400 (App + Thor dongle) for a TCU remap which, as far as I can tell, has a very similar effect to simply using Sport/Sport+.

If/when I get some further (clear) responses from XHP I'll update this post.

In the meantime, if someone with XHP is in the Hertfordshire area at some point and fancies meeting tor a back-to-back test, do let me know.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 4
Hooded1669.00
fantanas112.00
Digidick141.50
Soul_Glo13346.00
      06-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #97
charliewaqs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewaqs View Post
Been using it a week or two now. Did it using a cable. Took about 10 minutes. Didn't have a charger plugged in.

Comfort mode is better now and Sport/Sport+ is so much fun.
For the benefit of those that need one, can you post details/link to the cable used please. Btw, which stage did you settle on ?

Bcables.com

I settled on stage 2 for now!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #98
charliewaqs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Is that 10 minutes for the initial stuff that takes about 30 mins or so with the Thor wifi adapter?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #99
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewaqs View Post
Bcables.com

I settled on stage 2 for now!
Charging for Esys, nice!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #100
The Flasher
Rep
Drives: 340i

I thought I would post a guide to timings whilst it is fresh in my mind having done it today as there have been a few queries re battery usage in the thread.

This is for a B58 340i but I guess for other F3Xs it would be the same.

So, you've downloaded the app onto your phone and purchased the Thor OBD WiFi connector. There are now 4 things to do.

Step 1 - Connect to your car with the App so it can read your VIN details. This takes less than 1 minute using the car's battery.

Step 2 - Buy the licence. This can be done indoors. Assuming you are buying the licence for Stages 1,2 and 3 once your payment has gone through the App will download 3 files. Each download took less than 1 minute on my home WiFi.

Step 3 - Install Xhp in the car. Connect to the car with the App. When you try to do a Flash it will take you to the screen to install Xhp for the first time. For me this install took 7 minutes using the car's battery. There is a progress bar showing you how long there is to go. Your Idrive will ping error messages during this process which is unsettling but the App will clear them right at the end.

Step 4 - Flash the Stage you want. I started cautious and did Stage 1. For me this install took less than 1 minute using the car's battery. There is a progress bar showing you how long there is to go, Again, your Idrive will ping error messages during this process but the App will clear them right at the end.

That's it - you're done with less than 10 minutes spent using the car's battery.

Hope that's helpful to someone.
Appreciate 3
Hooded1669.00
luke1990132.50
      07-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #101
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flasher View Post
I thought I would post a guide to timings whilst it is fresh in my mind having done it today as there have been a few queries re battery usage in the thread.

So, you've downloaded the app onto your phone and purchased the Thor OBD WiFi connector. There are now 4 things to do.

Step 1 - Connect to your car with the App so it can read your VIN details. This takes less than 1 minute using the car's battery.

Step 2 - Buy the licence. This can be done indoors. Assuming you are buying the licence for Stages 1,2 and 3 once your payment has gone through the App will download 3 files. Each download took less than 1 minute on my home WiFi.

Step 3 - Install Xhp in the car. Connect to the car with the App. When you try to do a Flash it will take you to the screen to install Xhp for the first time. For me this install took 7 minutes using the car's battery. There is a progress bar showing you how long there is to go. Your Idrive will ping error messages during this process which is unsettling but the App will clear them right at the end.

Step 4 - Flash the Stage you want. I started cautious and did Stage 1. For me this install took less than 1 minute using the car's battery. There is a progress bar showing you how long there is to go, Again, your Idrive will ping error messages during this process but the App will clear them right at the end.

That's it - you're done with less than 10 minutes spent using the car's battery.

Useful info, thanks.

Now, go and do your gentle 50 miles then let us know what you think 👍
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #102
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the info
I'm still reluctant to pay £60 for the Thor adapter though on top of the £300 I'd be paying for the XHP Flash, ..when I already own an adapter that connects BimmerCode to my car for coding just fine.

I'd go with stage 2 or 3.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #103
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Hi there
Why are everyone so keen on using a dongle?
I used a cable and it Worker perfectly. No need at all to buy a wifi dongle to get it flashed.
I did this 2 weeks ago and went for stage 3. Works like a charm. And map on top of that and the car now feeds “awakened” from sleep

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #104
The Flasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Hi there
I used a cable and it Worker perfectly. No need at all to buy a wifi dongle to get it flashed.
I did this 2 weeks ago and went for stage 3. Works like a charm. And map on top of that and the car now feeds "awakened" from sleep
Not sure I could connect my phone to an OBD port by cable??
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #105
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
With an OTG USB adapter cable to a USB to OBD adapter. I've flashed both ways. Speed is identical. Wireless is slightly more convenient.
      07-08-2019, 03:03 AM   #106
The Flasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
Quote:
With an OTG USB adapter cable to a USB to OBD adapter. I've flashed both ways. Speed is identical. Wireless is slightly more convenient.
But the phone is a micro USB output so wouldn't I need an adaptor for the adaptor? And that's assuming it would work technically.

Anyway, ETTO on this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:22 AM   #107
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Hi there
I did this 2 weeks ago and went for stage 3. Works like a charm. And map on top of that and the car now feeds "awakened" from sleep
Hi
I bought a cheap china pad on Alibaba for this purpose.
I have IPhone as phone so using the phone has not been an option for me.
And then you can argue that the pad is as expensive as the dongle. Yes, but you can use the pad for other stuff. The dongle has only one purpose hence the pad and cable being a better solution ;-)

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #108
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

can anyone comment on what the downshifts are like in stage 3?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #109
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Anyone tried this with the B58 40i engine? Interested in hearing how it is.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #110
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Who here has flashed with an iphone? Should i go wireless or use the enet cable?
Appreciate 0