F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2017 328d Fuel System Replacement
Studio RSR

05-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 328d xDrive

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Exclamation 2017 328d Fuel System Replacement

Good afternoon everyone,

Wanted to ask if any 328d owners have had any fuel system issues lately.

I have a 2017 328d that I purchased from the dealer a year ago and I have 38,000 kms on it (80% highway driving) and has always been serviced on time.

3 weeks ago I had a drivetrain caution pop up and a note saying "Moderate Driving Cautioned - Acceleration may not be possible". The car subsequently lost all response in the pedal and I pulled over to the shoulder - upon decelerating below 10km/h the car stalled and wouldn't restart resulting in it being towed to the dealership.

I called the previous gas station I used to inquire about their diesel fuel and the last time the tank had been tested/filled etc. Everything checked out and there had been no other issues with the fuel I had in my vehicle.

I was told by the dealership that there was a major malfunction in the fuel system resulting in a whole system replacement (everything from the electronic module, through the pump, lines and even the fuel tank). My car is still in the shop waiting for all the components to arrive.

I did a google search and saw one forum post on bimmerfest about a similar issue, but the guy sold his car shortly after the fix so I have no good info from that other than a pi**ing contest between the VW TDI camp vs BMW diesel camp.

Does anyone on here have any similar experiences with either a fuel pump issue or any fuel system issues with their 328d?

Trying to figure out how to tackle an extended waranty from the dealership, or to find out if the issue may be linked to the recalls on the 6 cylinder diesel engines from the previous generation diesels......

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Don't know if you meant to post in the "Mechanical Maintenance ..." forum rather than the Diesel subforum (they're right next to each other) or not.

Sounds like the HPFP failed. Don't offhand seeing many failures on N47 engines, but it does happen, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Did they pinpoint the failure before ordering parts and everything? Sounds like contaminated diesel or improper fueling. Why else would they replace EVERYTHING?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
On the newer VW TDIs, the HPFP has been known to fail, sending metal shavings across the fuel system. Everything that touched fuel needs to be replaced.

I believe the N47 uses a similar Bosch design for the HPFP. I wont be surprised, since they are on pretty much every common rail diesel nowadays.
      06-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
On the newer VW TDIs, the HPFP has been known to fail, sending metal shavings across the fuel system. Everything that touched fuel needs to be replaced.

I believe the N47 uses a similar Bosch design for the HPFP. I wont be surprised, since they are on pretty much every common rail diesel nowadays.
While true, VW's problems were almost always traced to fuel contamination - putting gasoline in the tank. VW's don't (didn't) have mis-fuelling interlocks while all BMW diesels do; seems to have made a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Thanks for all the reply folks.... sorry I posted in the wrong forum, must have been finger trouble.

I am awaiting a meeting with the dealership for an in depth explanation from the senior tech/service manager as to what caused the issue. Will update when that meeting happens after they fix the car and get it running again. Damn these parts being shipped from Germany...

It sounds like the most common issue is the hpfp. Anyone know if there is a more reliable one out there other than this Bosch one I keep hearing about?

Thanks!

GPG

PS - If anyone has admin authority to move this thread to the proper forum, feel free to do so...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPilotGuy View Post
Thanks for all the reply folks.... sorry I posted in the wrong forum, must have been finger trouble.

I am awaiting a meeting with the dealership for an in depth explanation from the senior tech/service manager as to what caused the issue. Will update when that meeting happens after they fix the car and get it running again. Damn these parts being shipped from Germany...

It sounds like the most common issue is the hpfp. Anyone know if there is a more reliable one out there other than this Bosch one I keep hearing about?

Thanks!

GPG

PS - If anyone has admin authority to move this thread to the proper forum, feel free to do so...
The fuel system is fine. You just had a one-off issue.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The fuel system is fine. You just had a one-off issue.
Sincere thanks for the comment. It's reassuring to hear that from someone other than the dealer.

On another note, they advised me Friday it will be another 3-4 weeks before my car is ready because the shipment they received was missing two parts...

The wait continues....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, the Bosch is the only one used by almost every manufacturer.
Fortunately, the VW owners - and VW - paid for many many upgrades to the CP4 when the first pumps started failing about 10 years ago. There were several changes to specs and materials. You can Google around for the VW diesel HPFP problems; there were 3-4 significant changes IIRC that are detailed in the NHTSA/EPA filings.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sincere thanks for the comment. It's reassuring to hear that from someone other than the dealer.

On another note, they advised me Friday it will be another 3-4 weeks before my car is ready because the shipment they received was missing two parts...

The wait continues....
Still no word on the cause?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #11
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
They told me today that they've received all the parts and will have the car ready Monday or Tuesday. They will have the Service Manager, Service Adviser and Senior Tech ready for a meeting upon my arrival....

I'll be looking for an extended warranty or the warranty term reset to zero. We'll see what they say.

Will update after.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #12
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They told me today that they've received all the parts and will have the car ready Monday or Tuesday. They will have the Service Manager, Service Adviser and Senior Tech ready for a meeting upon my arrival....

I'll be looking for an extended warranty or the warranty term reset to zero. We'll see what they say.

Will update after.
Cool! Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
So I finally got my car back today after it broke down on May 4th.

The culprit was the hpfp. I asked for more specific details regarding the new pump they put in and whether it was the same pump or a different/changed part from the original. The mechanic and service manager stated it was the same part number, and that BMW doesn't change the part number even if they change the part for the same model-year car. Not sure if that was honest or not. However, the service manager did say he would send a message to their parts source in Germany and find out if the pump had been changed in any way from the original (failed) pump.

They also said that they had one other 2017 328d in a couple weeks prior to mine with the same issue (in Ottawa) - being that the hpfp failed from the inside of the pump and spewed metal shavings throughout the whole fuel system... hence the full replacement. They noted no issues in the last month since the fix on that car.

I inquired about an extended warranty for the fuel system and he stated it's not in the dealerships power to do that, however I could try with BMW customer service online or by phone. So that will be on my todo list in the next few days. They did however mention that BMW has a very reputable "goodwill department" in situations like this. They said that even though the car may be out of warranty if this issue happens again, that they will eat the cost since it's clearly a design defect and that I've had the problem once before. But, of course, nothing is written on paper and he also said he couldn't put anything on paper for me. So, how is one to know unless we end up in the situation again......

Also inquired if bad fuel could have been a culprit and he said no - that Canada tends to have more stable fuel (referring to the use of biodiesel) than in the US. He said they don't have any known issues with any diesel gas here unless it is specific to a bad tank at a specific station. But in this case, the fuel was fine.

Aside from that, I guess I have a new fuel system in a relatively brand new car and I'm looking forward to an answer about the hpfp and whether it's an upgraded or changed model - I'm leaning toward the idea that it is the identical part. In which case, maybe there will be a recall in the future if they continue to have to replace entire fuel systems due to a poorly designed fuel pump.

Anyone have any further thoughts that I should ask the dealership or BMW before I try to build my confidence up in the car again?

Last edited by GingerPilotGuy; 06-12-2018 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar changes
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #14
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Here's a photo of the work order showing what was replaced and the work done...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #15
Jram328d
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d xdrive

Quote:
Here's a photo of the work order showing what was replaced and the work done...
Any other 328d owners out there with hpfp failures? I'm out of warranty and pretty terrified that it'll happen to me. I have 108k miles. My dealer says they've never seen a hpfp fail recently. Not sure 328d's weren't covered in the recall a while back. I've heard the entire fuel system repair costs 12-13k when it goes. Get rid of it or roll the dice? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #16
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

1) There were relatively few failures with the HPFP on the M57 engine here in the USA/CA.
2) There were many failures of the VW TDI fuel pump (which is the same design - CP4 - as the M57). VW proved to the EPA/NHTSA's satisfaction that most of them were due to mis-fuelling with gasoline. YMMV, but the data on the EPA website looks pretty convincing.
3) I might argue that CA diesel during the winter might be more a cause of trouble than summer. Remember, they go to a more kerosene-like oil derivative. It's pretty thn. I might well run a lubricant-enhancer.
4) Biodiesel increases lubricity: it's a good thing and you shouldn't avoid it.
5) An HPFP failure in a gas DI engine (N54, N55, B56, B26) will as deadly to the fuel system (and as costly) as what you experienced. Deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #17
Jram328d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
1) There were relatively few failures with the HPFP on the M57 engine here in the USA/CA.
2) There were many failures of the VW TDI fuel pump (which is the same design - CP4 - as the M57). VW proved to the EPA/NHTSA's satisfaction that most of them were due to mis-fuelling with gasoline. YMMV, but the data on the EPA website looks pretty convincing.
3) I might argue that CA diesel during the winter might be more a cause of trouble than summer. Remember, they go to a more kerosene-like oil derivative. It's pretty thn. I might well run a lubricant-enhancer.
4) Biodiesel increases lubricity: it's a good thing and you shouldn't avoid it.
5) An HPFP failure in a gas DI engine (N54, N55, B56, B26) will as deadly to the fuel system (and as costly) as what you experienced. Deal with it.
Floydarogers,

Thanks for the reply. Gives me a bit more piece of mind with the relatively low hpfp fails in our engine. Much appreciated.

I guess if that hpfp doesn't fail, the transfer case will get me again.

Man, if these 328d's didn't have issues with going through transfer cases, they'd be the holy grail - AWD and Diesel. At 108k, I went through one at 98k right before my CPO expired. Had an EGR replaced, but who hasn't. Right now, I'm just pushing it to see how much longer I can run her. Over the life, I've averaged about 45mpg's. I'd be curious to know if anyone's ever heard of a 328d making it to 200k. I'll let you all know if I get there.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #18
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
I was told by the dealers here in Ottawa that the hpfp is a pretty rare occurrence. They've only seen two in recent years (Mine being the second).

I inquired whether bad diesel or fuel contamination with water etc is an issue they look at and they said it's not. All they check is that you have diesel in the tank. Apparently Canada doesn't have issues with different diesel qualities as there are in the US.

I have another 20k kms before my warranty is up... but with this hpfp happening to me and reading up on potential transfer case issues, I'm thinking of spending the $3000 to get an extended warranty to bring me to the end of my financing at least....

As for how much the hpfp would have cost me out of warranty - 10-11k for parts and labor in CAD.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #19
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
I have another 20k kms before my warranty is up... but with this hpfp happening to me and reading up on potential transfer case issues, I'm thinking of spending the $3000 to get an extended warranty to bring me to the end of my financing at least....

As for how much the hpfp would have cost me out of warranty - 10-11k for parts and labor in CAD.
Your transfer case will fail, thankfully most of them fail right before warranty ends but if you're planning to keep it long term i'd get the extended warranty..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #20
cipolz
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i 5 speed

Hey folks, on Sunday afternoon my 2017 328dx wagon with 33k miles left me stranded too.
Completely lost power, thankfully no cars around and I was able to pull over safely.
Got the car towed to the dealership Monday morning and today i was told:
“good morning,
we found metal from the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank. we submitted it to bmw and we are mostly likely going to need to replace the whole fuel system in the vehicle which take a week or so. i will let you know this afternoon what they say. have a great day”

Here we go... how could one keep this car out of warranty?
I bought it cpo with 7k miles, it was an executive demo car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #21
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipolz View Post
Hey folks, on Sunday afternoon my 2017 328dx wagon with 33k miles left me stranded too.
Completely lost power, thankfully no cars around and I was able to pull over safely.
“good morning,
we found metal from the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank. we submitted it to bmw and we are mostly likely going to need to replace the whole fuel system in the vehicle which take a week or so. i will let you know this afternoon what they say. have a great day”

Same. Mine did not shut down though just a CEL. Its currently in the shop... 2014 328d 54k
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
Jram328d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipolz View Post
“good morning,

I think we all roll the dice after our warranties end. I'm at 110k miles and am hopeful it doesn't bite me. Chances are it'll be the transfer case or fuel system that'll go!
Appreciate 0