F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > with so many H&R spings for sale..
Studio RSR

08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Some of the Dinan kits will come with shorter OEM bump stops(usually from another BMW model). BMW bump stops are typically progressive and soft, it's meant to be a secondary spring(up the spring rate during aggressive driving), but if you are riding or just millimeters away from them, they can't function properly.

I am referring to people buying H&R and other spring kits that typically do not include shorter bump stops. People just install the lowering springs with the original height bump stops and then complain of a real harsh ride or bottoming out when in reality they are just riding on their bump stops more which makes it rougher and makes them think they are bottoming out. If they cut them down a half inch or a little more it will allow more travel and soften the ride a bit. Most people don't know this.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #24
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
is this for the Xdrive cars...or all 3 f30 series any line?? including Msport??
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!

Last edited by AWMSPORT; 08-12-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

i was also wondering if dhp and a sport setting negated any of these problems as well? that should stiffen the stock dampers to some degree. i am getting these installed on my f32 xdrive next week. they are going to cut the bumpstops as well, i may have to just try it and see how it is. a rough or jolting ride is less of a concern to me (i havent had my car out of sport mode yet) but i dont want to feel like i am in a boat either with the wavy ride you sometimes get when you are constantly bottoming out..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #26
Cstyles
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport & 997 Turbo

I'd like to add in my experience here, as it seems to differ from many of the comments in this thread.

I have a 2013 335i X-Drive, m-sport with DHP. I installed H&R sport springs for the X-drive, and have driven 25,000km with them now. I can 100% say that the suspension is just as compliant as OEM was, just with some added 'tautness' which is exactly what I was looking for buying a BMW 3-series sedan.

What I can confirm:
  • Comfort setting is just as compliant and 'comfortable' as stock
  • Sport mode provides EXACTLY the ride I was looking for in this car, with no harshness, bouncing, or other undue attributes
  • I routinely have 4 full grown adults in the car on the freeway, in Toronto with achingly poor roads, and I have never, ever, hit the bumpstops or 'bottomed out'
  • I don't have a single bad or negative comment about the sport spring setup with x-drive DHP shocks, and I'd have absolutely no reservation about stating concerns or issues if I had them
  • I've never had a passenger, including my wife who also would hold no reservations (LOL), comment that the ride was harsh / jarring / insert synonym here

I hope that provides some good information for prospective buyers with DHP dampers; I do believe that there seems to be commonality in the forum posts that H&R sport springs seem to be suited to the OEM DHP damper.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #27
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

the drop looks perfect to me. I was just looking at my xdrive's gaps and the rated drops and I cant see it ending up much different than what you have pictured. mine get installed the 18th. I am optimistic =).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #28
4GET_AMG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i X-Drive M-Sport

i have drive and dynamic handling suspension would it feel less hard if i got the springs?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #29
txex0503
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 335 f30 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Some of the Dinan kits will come with shorter OEM bump stops(usually from another BMW model). BMW bump stops are typically progressive and soft, it's meant to be a secondary spring(up the spring rate during aggressive driving), but if you are riding or just millimeters away from them, they can't function properly.
I spoke to the H&R tech yesterday and discussed the bump stops. He told me the BMW bump stops are progressive as you mentioned. He went on to say they should not be cut down with their spring application. I don't think I am riding on them as there is travel. I feel dumb for not checking my tires right away, but I found the fronts at 40 psi after having the car serviced at BMW last week. Tire pressure recommendation is 32 so I am thinking this will be a big improvement with road impacts. I'll update after driving around today.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #30
txex0503
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstyles View Post
I'd like to add in my experience here, as it seems to differ from many of the comments in this thread.

I have a 2013 335i X-Drive, m-sport with DHP. I installed H&R sport springs for the X-drive, and have driven 25,000km with them now. I can 100% say that the suspension is just as compliant as OEM was, just with some added 'tautness' which is exactly what I was looking for buying a BMW 3-series sedan.

What I can confirm:
  • Sport mode provides EXACTLY the ride I was looking for in this car, with no harshness, bouncing, or other undue attributes
  • I routinely have 4 full grown adults in the car on the freeway, in Toronto with achingly poor roads, and I have never, ever, hit the bumpstops or 'bottomed out'
  • I don't have a single bad or negative comment about the sport spring setup with x-drive DHP shocks, and I'd have absolutely no reservation about stating concerns or issues if I had them
  • I've never had a passenger, including my wife who also would hold no reservations (LOL), comment that the ride was harsh / jarring / insert synonym here

I hope that provides some good information for prospective buyers with DHP dampers; I do believe that there seems to be commonality in the forum posts that H&R sport springs seem to be suited to the OEM DHP damper.

That's good to hear! The dealer had my front tires at 40 psi instead of 32 so I am hoping that addresses my issue. Beautiful car btw!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #31
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

Quote:

What I can confirm:

Thank you for providing your input and the convincing photographic evidences!!!

I am now more confident to proceed forward. If all goes well, i will be dropping my car on H&R sport by next month and put some spacers to make the stance flush...

Cant wait!!

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 08-13-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #32
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex0503 View Post
I spoke to the H&R tech yesterday and discussed the bump stops. He told me the BMW bump stops are progressive as you mentioned. He went on to say they should not be cut down with their spring application. I don't think I am riding on them as there is travel. I feel dumb for not checking my tires right away, but I found the fronts at 40 psi after having the car serviced at BMW last week. Tire pressure recommendation is 32 so I am thinking this will be a big improvement with road impacts. I'll update after driving around today.
You don't want to cut down the OEM bump stops as the takes progressiveness out of them and you may experience harder than usual impacts.

Lower tire pressures will take away some wheel impact protection, at least that is what I have found working with BMWs for the last 15+ years. The lowest I would recommend going with 18+ wheel size is 36 and no less.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #33
Manimal
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xDrive

Hi everyone - new guy here - I ordered a set of H&R sport springs and am having them installed in a couple days. Yes, it is a temporary measure until I eventually get coilovers; but in the mean time, just to calm my paranoia now that have I read this thread, I'm good with just using the OEM shocks & bump stops?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #34
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
You don't want to cut down the OEM bump stops as the takes progressiveness out of them and you may experience harder than usual impacts.

Lower tire pressures will take away some wheel impact protection, at least that is what I have found working with BMWs for the last 15+ years. The lowest I would recommend going with 18+ wheel size is 36 and no less.
I have been lowering cars for the last 25 years before drop springs were common for most vehicles and cutting the bump stops will not hurt your ride because in theory you should not hit them unless it is a massive jolt/bump. They are there to act as a last resort to keep your shocks from bottoming out and if you hit them on a regular basis on normal bumps after using drop springs, you need to cut them back or replace them with shorter ones. Cutting a half inch will not change their performance or progressiveness to the point anyone would ever notice but that half inch will be the difference in most cases between hitting them or not and smoothing out your ride. We done this on all cars and trucks. If you are using the factory height shocks and stops and dropping it 1.5"+ and you do not buy shorter ones, then cutting is ok. Yes you dont want to cut them 2" but anywhere from a 1/2"~3/4" is ok to allow a little extra travel. Also best to cut them on the fatter side.

I will agree on the tire pressure though. 36# is a good number for our larger wheels. I run 35# personally and it is a nice ride and adequate protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #35
txex0503
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Hi everyone - new guy here - I ordered a set of H&R sport springs and am having them installed in a couple days. Yes, it is a temporary measure until I eventually get coilovers; but in the mean time, just to calm my paranoia now that have I read this thread, I'm good with just using the OEM shocks & bump stops?
If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Dinan kit which is a less aggressive drop with specifically engineered bump stops. With the H&Rs and factory springs and stops, I am on the look out for any road problems but inevitably I don't have time to slow enough to avoid the dreaded crash sound when I go over.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #36
209BMW
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X-Drive

I cut the bumps stop on both top and bottom since they are progressive, bout 3/4 off the bottom and 1/4 inch off the top half, 1" total. It didn't help the ride any. Bottom line you would need matching shocks. Currently I'm happy with the ride at stock height and feel trying to drop it in the first place was a mistake.

Last edited by 209BMW; 01-29-2015 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #37
Manimal
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xDrive

Quote:
If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the Dinan kit which is a less aggressive drop with specifically engineered bump stops. With the H&Rs and factory springs and stops, I am on the look out for any road problems but inevitably I don't have time to slow enough to avoid the dreaded crash sound when I go over.
Thanks for letting me know - the roads here in PA are terrible, so unless I want to play "dodge the pothole" every 50 yards, I better go with Dinan! I had no idea about their sport spring system until you gave me the heads up, I have a message out to them to see if it is compatible with my 320ix. Looks like I'm sending back the H&R's.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #38
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I have been lowering cars for the last 25 years before drop springs were common for most vehicles and cutting the bump stops will not hurt your ride because in theory you should not hit them unless it is a massive jolt/bump. They are there to act as a last resort to keep your shocks from bottoming out and if you hit them on a regular basis on normal bumps after using drop springs, you need to cut them back or replace them with shorter ones. Cutting a half inch will not change their performance or progressiveness to the point anyone would ever notice but that half inch will be the difference in most cases between hitting them or not and smoothing out your ride. We done this on all cars and trucks. If you are using the factory height shocks and stops and dropping it 1.5"+ and you do not buy shorter ones, then cutting is ok. Yes you dont want to cut them 2" but anywhere from a 1/2"~3/4" is ok to allow a little extra travel. Also best to cut them on the fatter side.

I will agree on the tire pressure though. 36# is a good number for our larger wheels. I run 35# personally and it is a nice ride and adequate protection.
As I have mentioned in another post that BMW use the bump stops as secondary springs so cutting them WILL take the progressiveness out of it and render you with much stiffer landing. Cutting them at the other end will retain the functionality of the secondary spring, but bottoming may occur as the progressive part does not take large bumps well by design.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #39
Yuqi
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Xdrive

I went with H&R springs on Xdrive, it's suck. thinking to change the shokcs
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #40
txex0503
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuqi View Post
I went with H&R springs on Xdrive, it's suck. thinking to change the shokcs
I had H&Rs installed with stock shocks on xDrive w/o DHP and it was crashing onto the stock bump stops. Also the stiff springs were too low and didn't allow enough travel for the soft stock shocks. Installed Dinan kit with stock shocks and it works well for the street. The car looks better and handles better than stock without the crash over bumps unless you hit a really bad section of road.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #41
Yuqi
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Xdrive

Quote:
I had H&Rs installed with stock shocks on xDrive w/o DHP and it was crashing onto the stock bump stops. Also the stiff springs were too low and didn't allow enough travel for the soft stock shocks. Installed Dinan kit with stock shocks and it works well for the street. The car looks better and handles better than stock without the crash over bumps unless you hit a really bad section of road.
The Dinan kit is just springs right? Can you tell me how much is the cost for Dinan kit? I am also considering KW V1, but the price $2000 is expensive. Thank you for your reply!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #42
txex0503
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuqi View Post
The Dinan kit is just springs right? Can you tell me how much is the cost for Dinan kit? I am also considering KW V1, but the price $2000 is expensive. Thank you for your reply!
Check out dinancars.com $469 for springs with bumpstops
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #43
rjpeaks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

Quote:

this looks close to how i am sitting with the M-Sport Suspension/DHP today. RWD. I am thinking new 20's and springs.

I am coming from this -->
so the ride today is way more comfortable.

Last edited by rjpeaks; 09-19-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0