F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i / 440i (B58) BMW M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) Official Release
ARMA SPEED

08-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #991
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by damascus View Post
better? sound is subjective... it is LOUDER. i've had mine installed for just a few days. honestly, i was a bit concerned driving home. even in comfort mode, it is louder - or at least now i can hear the motor through the exhaust. in sport mode, forget about it! the open valved exhaust is CRAZY loud! you will get an uncomfortable drone at about 2,000 RPM, under load. move the gear selector left to sport and run through the gears (fast!), then back off the throttle... you will get awarded with a machine gun noise that has no right coming from a simple 3-series! i'm still shocked BMW would spend the money with R&D and engineering for this power and sound kit. wow!
i can confirm you were 100% spot on. I am so happy right now
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #992
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Finally, got my MPPSK installed on my 2017 440i F32. Haven't had a chance to really test it out. So far, yes, the sound is louder!

Mere observation, the sound in full DSC off mode is really good. A deeper and louder grunt and grumble than the comfort mode but less than Sports mode, or maybe the same?!

Edit: Pictures attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #993
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGTJANSZ View Post
Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for the MPPSK (including chrome tips) in Australia?
I got them installed in Melbourne yesterday. I paid $3400 for the kit and $650 for tips (Carbon Fibre). This was the price after a lot of bargaining! Plus labour around $700
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #994
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
One part and extremely long. Can't fit in the car.
You are right, so got the dealer to just remove the stock Chrome Tips to keep as a memento.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:15 AM   #995
hn500001
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 340i

Hi Guys,
I am new here. Have sinds Juni the first the last 340i F30 in the Netherlands.
My car is production date is okt 2018. So with OPF. Now I want to install MPPSK. But as you know BMW not aloud to do this.
There a company in the Netherlands Mosselmann Turbo, they say that they can install MPPSK, and code out the OPF sensor.

Anybody experice with MPPSK on a car with OPF?
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #996
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

First time I hear someone installing it with OPF. How are they planning to do that? The Software is only available to BMW (official dealers) and is not allowed/possible to install on OPF variants.

You can probably install the exhaust system and cheat/modify the OPF, but there is very limited benefit of that, without the Software.

Besides that, MPPSK (both the Software and the Exhaust parts) are mainly appealing to people willing to retain their warranty and/or original BMW configuration. With any attempts to install MPPSK off the books, you will be dropping both. Then you'de be better served by a different exhaust system (compatible with OPF) and, if you want it - different motor tuning.
How are you planning to pass the recurring technical check in the Netherlands with an obvious add-on that has no approval and paperwork to go with your vehicle?

I'd advise you to look for other products on the market. MPPSK is fantastic, but only (legally) available without OPF.
      09-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #997
hn500001
Rep

As far as I know the OPF system is divided into 2 parts. 1 filter in the exhaust and 1 sensor nearby the cat. With the installation of MPPSK the filter will be replaced. If you do nothing else you will get an error. What they do at mosselmann is remap including sensor off.

So you do the same as BMW exhaust plus tuining, only now tuining from Mosselmann including switching off the sensor.
Recurring check is till now no problem. They don't check the OPF filter.

The reason I want this is that the sound of MPPSK still finds the best, also better than aftermarket.

And yes warrantly is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #998
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn500001 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am new here. Have sinds Juni the first the last 340i F30 in the Netherlands.
My car is production date is okt 2018. So with OPF. Now I want to install MPPSK. But as you know BMW not aloud to do this.
There a company in the Netherlands Mosselmann Turbo, they say that they can install MPPSK, and code out the OPF sensor.

Anybody experice with MPPSK on a car with OPF?
I wouldn't bother with the MPPSK if you're going to someone like Mosselman. They can probably set you up with a custom exhaust to your liking, and they can also do a full remap of your car and get you way more power.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:23 AM   #999
hn500001
Rep

the only aftermarket (for OPF) is akra. Cost €2500,-,almost the same price as MPPSK. only axback with no valve.

The MPPSK is catback and with valve.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:28 AM   #1000
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn500001 View Post
the only aftermarket (for OPF) is akra. Cost €2500,-,almost the same price as MPPSK. only axback with no valve.

The MPPSK is catback and with valve.
That's why I wrote custom. Purpose building something / modifying the existing exhaust will cost WAAAY less than that. But if having a valve is a deal breaker, then perhaps MPPSK is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #1001
maatt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '18 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by maatt View Post
Code:
https://vimeo.com/351495826
Pulled the fuses so flaps stay open, but this rattle/vibration is annoying any ideas?

around 15 seconds into video

Had my backbox replaced under warranty because of the flap rattle, but even the new one does the same????? anyone else had this..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #1002
namx747
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340ix

I just failed my emission inspection because of the MPPSK. Has this happen to anyone else in the US? Inspector said my exhaust is after market and way too loud (on cold start). I told the inspector that this is a BMW exhaust but she didn't believe me. I'm not to worried but still mad for wasting my time and $35 bucks! My mistake for going to a different inspection station then I normally go to. I pass inspection last year at a different inspection station.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:32 AM   #1003
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Might not be helpful for your case, but in most countries in Europe you are obliged to register such change to the vehicle, whereas you present the tech spec and qualification papers of the modification and (if from recognised source), it gets added to the approval of the vehicle.

My vehicle papers state that the car is approved with the MPPSK mod and also reflect the new engine power. So there can be no doubt or problems if stopped by the police or when subjected to inspection.
Surprisingly, the established noise level in dB for the car is unchanged (same as without MPPSK). This most likely thanks to how the regulation specify the measurement to be performed (at what rpm, etc.).

So if you ever need it - be aware that there is an official TÜV paper from BMW (in German only), which (amongst all other aspects) states that the noise level of the car is unchanged with MPPSK. This is recognised in Europe.
      01-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #1004
JNMNL52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440ix 2018 X5 35i

On the Fence with MPPSK

I recently purchased a 2017 440ix w/ M Sport and Aero packages and seriously considering the expense of adding the MPPSK for a little more pep and some exhaust noise...to a point. Over the past couple of days I have read every message in this thread to educate myself on MPPSK. I am left with the concern that custom mode is too loud over stock and the burbles and gunshots being too loud and/or obnoxious in sport and sport plus. I like the capability of turning off the extra sound and shifting into custom "wife" mode and don't really want to hear much more noise over stock in custom mode when doing long distance highway driving and listening to my HK sound system.

I have read comments here from both camps...love the loud sound - give me more or its too loud in all modes and passengers hate sport mode and the drone. I can deal with the loud sound in sport and sport plus, but I don't want to forfeit my quiet time either in custom mode when selected. So, to those MPPKS owners, am I being overly sensitive to this or is the noise level acceptable. In other words are there any MPPSK owners, in retrospect, who honestly regret having the MPPSK system installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #1005
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
M Performance Power Pack but no MPE

On my 340i, I had the M Performance Power Pack installed, but no MPE. This is what I did on that car and the M140i I now own:
  1. Opened the exhaust valve by using such as Bimmercode/Carly for BMW or putting the car in Sports mode with engine running.
  2. Pulled the plug from the actuator, and installed a BMW dummy actuator plug (Part No, 18302411427) to keep the crap out.
  3. Strapped dummy actuator & wire to under-body with long cable tie.
  4. Installed wiring plug connector terminal 4 pin (Part No. 12527549033) to actuator valve mechanism after sealing with silicon to stop water & crap ingress.
  5. Exhaust flap stays open all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #1006
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
I recently purchased a 2017 440ix w/ M Sport and Aero packages and seriously considering the expense of adding the MPPSK for a little more pep and some exhaust noise...to a point. Over the past couple of days I have read every message in this thread to educate myself on MPPSK. I am left with the concern that custom mode is too loud over stock and the burbles and gunshots being too loud and/or obnoxious in sport and sport plus. I like the capability of turning off the extra sound and shifting into custom "wife" mode and don't really want to hear much more noise over stock in custom mode when doing long distance highway driving and listening to my HK sound system.

I have read comments here from both camps...love the loud sound - give me more or its too loud in all modes and passengers hate sport mode and the drone. I can deal with the loud sound in sport and sport plus, but I don't want to forfeit my quiet time either in custom mode when selected. So, to those MPPKS owners, am I being overly sensitive to this or is the noise level acceptable. In other words are there any MPPSK owners, in retrospect, who honestly regret having the MPPSK system installed?
It isn't that loud even in sport mode that you can't hear the audio system. I wouldn't worry about it, it is just loud enough or could be a little louder and still be fine. Pops and bangs are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #1007
damascus
gear head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6M Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
...am I being overly sensitive to this or is the noise level acceptable. In other words are there any MPPSK owners, in retrospect, who honestly regret having the MPPSK system installed?
my post is #989 here... regret the system. yes. and now no. when i first pulled away from the BMW dealership after installation, i thought "oh no, WTF have i done? i've ruined my car!". i called the shop and told them to stow my OEM system away in case i needed to reverse everything. this was my immediate reaction and a few days following.

i gave it some time and now have no regrets. i realized the initial shock wears off quick (the car is SO quiet in stock form that even the 'normal' mode sounds loud). now, for me, the normal mode sounds PERFECT! i am aware of the exhaust sounds and it is a perfect blend of sportiness and performance. when i feel like getting into it (almost always alone - no wife), the sport mode is awesome for limited spirited drives. run it up near red line and then back off quick - you'll be rewarded with the machine gun pops you've read about. it's nuts!

all this said, if you pull the trigger, give it a few weeks to adjust to the initial sound change. after that, you'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #1008
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I put the mppsk on my 2018 a month ago and I really enjoy it. In comfort it is fine. In sport mode it comes alive. So you have the best of all worlds, as far as I can tell. This comes from a Dad with 3 kids who use the car as a daily driver. I get a smile when I slip it into sport mode. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #1009
JNMNL52
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It isn't that loud even in sport mode that you can't hear the audio system. I wouldn't worry about it, it is just loud enough or could be a little louder and still be fine. Pops and bangs are awesome.
Thank you. This is encouraging to hear.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #1010
JNMNL52
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damascus View Post
my post is #989 here... regret the system. yes. and now no. when i first pulled away from the BMW dealership after installation, i thought "oh no, WTF have i done? i've ruined my car!". i called the shop and told them to stow my OEM system away in case i needed to reverse everything. this was my immediate reaction and a few days following.

i gave it some time and now have no regrets. i realized the initial shock wears off quick (the car is SO quiet in stock form that even the 'normal' mode sounds loud). now, for me, the normal mode sounds PERFECT! i am aware of the exhaust sounds and it is a perfect blend of sportiness and performance. when i feel like getting into it (almost always alone - no wife), the sport mode is awesome for limited spirited drives. run it up near red line and then back off quick - you'll be rewarded with the machine gun pops you've read about. it's nuts!

all this said, if you pull the trigger, give it a few weeks to adjust to the initial sound change. after that, you'll be happy.
Thanks; I am glad you came up on the net. I read your original quote and it concerned me which prompted my post above. I did not want any regrets if I went forward because as you know once installed there is no turning back. I am glad to hear all is well now and also encouraging. BTW I see that you are in DC area. Which area dealership did your MPPSK install?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:16 PM   #1011
JNMNL52
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I put the mppsk on my 2018 a month ago and I really enjoy it. In comfort it is fine. In sport mode it comes alive. So you have the best of all worlds, as far as I can tell. This comes from a Dad with 3 kids who use the car as a daily driver. I get a smile when I slip it into sport mode. Good luck.
Thanks; Also encouraging to hear. My 440ix is my daily commuter as well for a 80 mile round trip. Driving solo I need some excitement to get me through it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #1012
norispurs
Singapore
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80 M3

Just ordered an MPPSK from dealership

My very first post here Been lurking around and reading often enough.

Got a 2017 340i M-sport back in 9/2018, and finally pulled the trigger on the MPPSK last week. I'm super stoked!

Unfortunately, it takes like 3-6 months to get it approved by the authorities, so the earliest I'll enjoy the exhaust is in April. Waiting continues!
Appreciate 1
Beek705.50