F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Final 4 year/50k service
GetBMWParts

07-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
NWest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi

Final 4 year/50k service

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm at 42K mi and went in for my final complimentary oil change yesterday, thought I'd share my experience:

Asked my SA to check out brake pads, firmware version, and possible drive line clunk when accelerating and shifting.
1. Brake pads are at 11mm front, 8.5mm rear - surprised at how much life was left (replacement is around 3MM-4MM).
2. Said I had never had any programming updates done on my car in their records, and if I wanted to, they'd need it for the day to do updates. Asked if this would be covered under 4 year/50K service and they said yes - and that I would be charged if I did this out of that warranty period - so going to schedule separate service date for this.
3. They checked engine and trans mounts, couldn't find any issues for the sound I described.

Other than the above the Dealer did an oil service, replaced the cabin filters, and changed the spark plugs (which I didn't know was covered under this maintenance - for free), topped off fluids, and re-set tire pressure to spec.

They also noted that I had an "aftermarket intake charge tube" and "aftermarket suspension" in their service notes.

Overall I left feeling good about the experience, and will set time for additional appointments (reprogramming, misc issues) before I hit the 50K mark in the coming months.
      07-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
adhrp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i (F30)

Definitely a good dealer experience. I'm surprised they did the spark plugs. I think the manual calls for a change at 60k miles.

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold Weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park Distance Control | Rear sun shade | Anti-theft alarm system
Appreciate 2
NWest58.00
BSM F30181.00

07-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #3
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Who's your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
utjeffc
Rep
Drives: 2016 JB 328i

That's interesting about the spark plugs. Did the service report say that they inspected and found them fouled or worn?

For the firmware updates, I assume you are talking about the ECU, right?

Does anyone know if the BMW maintenance program is limited to a certain number of oil services or is it just based on CBS? My 2016 was a low mile CPO that had its first oil change done early at ~7000 miles. I drive a lot, and as a result I am currently at about 47k miles with CBS indicating an oil service by 50k miles. The wording on BMWs website and the maintenance program in the glove box looks like it covers all CBS maintenance before 4 years or 50k miles. I'm just curious if I should expect to have one more oil service before being on my own.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
NWest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Who's your dealer?
BMW Seattle
      07-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
NWest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utjeffc View Post
That's interesting about the spark plugs. Did the service report say that they inspected and found them fouled or worn?

For the firmware updates, I assume you are talking about the ECU, right?

Does anyone know if the BMW maintenance program is limited to a certain number of oil services or is it just based on CBS? My 2016 was a low mile CPO that had its first oil change done early at ~7000 miles. I drive a lot, and as a result I am currently at about 47k miles with CBS indicating an oil service by 50k miles. The wording on BMWs website and the maintenance program in the glove box looks like it covers all CBS maintenance before 4 years or 50k miles. I'm just curious if I should expect to have one more oil service before being on my own.
Nothing on the service report about worn or fouled, my SA said they were due for replacement under recommended service.

I was told (during another visit) that for any firmware updates, the dealer does not do this unless asked specifically by the customer. When I told them my BT sync on my phone for audio wasn't working well, I wanted to know what it would take for updates, and their answer was they would need the car for the day, but would update it with the latest.

In my experience, having bought my car as a CPO, the maintenance program - specifically for oil service - is based on the service intervals (every 10K-11K mi).

Last edited by NWest; 07-29-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
tex2670
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
I'm at 42K mi and went in for my final complimentary oil change yesterday, thought I'd share my experience:

Asked my SA to check out brake pads, firmware version, and possible drive line clunk when accelerating and shifting.
1. Brake pads are at 11mm front, 8.5mm rear - surprised at how much life was left (replacement is around 3MM-4MM).
2. Said I had never had any programming updates done on my car in their records, and if I wanted to, they'd need it for the day to do updates. Asked if this would be covered under 4 year/50K service and they said yes - and that I would be charged if I did this out of that warranty period - so going to schedule separate service date for this.
3. They checked engine and trans mounts, couldn't find any issues for the sound I described.

Other than the above the Dealer did an oil service, replaced the cabin filters, and changed the spark plugs (which I didn't know was covered under this maintenance - for free), topped off fluids, and re-set tire pressure to spec.

They also noted that I had an "aftermarket intake charge tube" and "aftermarket suspension" in their service notes.

Overall I left feeling good about the experience, and will set time for additional appointments (reprogramming, misc issues) before I hit the 50K mark in the coming months.
The dealer told me they'll do it if you are within 2K miles of the service count down.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
adhrp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
The dealer told me they'll do it if you are within 2K miles of the service count down.
This ^. I have successfully had service done more than once with a little over a 1000 miles remaining on the service countdown.

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold Weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park Distance Control | Rear sun shade | Anti-theft alarm system
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
BMW Seattle
Decent dealership from my experience.
Appreciate 1
BSM F30181.00

07-31-2018, 06:55 AM   #10
Coercion Shaman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440ix GC

Quote:
When I told them my BT sync on my phone for audio wasn't working well, I wanted to know what it would take for updates, and their answer was they would need the car for the day, but would update it with the latest.
So a BT issue would just be a software update, wouldn't it? The same thing you can download from the website and install in 5 minutes?

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
      08-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
NWest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
So a BT issue would just be a software update, wouldn't it? The same thing you can download from the website and install in 5 minutes?

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
You would think so. I've got the latest software installed, so unfortunately that didn't solve the problem.
      08-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #12
Fr3sh
#im_2_Fr3sh
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i xdrive

How are those b14 Bilsteins nwest?
Sorry for off topic.. looking into some good decent coils thinking of going the b14 route. Any rubbing/fenders need to be rolled/tire setup?
2014 428i xDrive F32 | Injen Cai | Er intercooler | Er chargepipe | Er Tic pipe | Er Catless Downpipe | Bm3 Stg 2 93 Ots Agg | Gfb Dv | M Style Trunk spoiler | Black grilles | 35% suntek tints | Continental Dws 06 |
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
NWest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3sh View Post
How are those b14 Bilsteins nwest?
Sorry for off topic.. looking into some good decent coils thinking of going the b14 route. Any rubbing/fenders need to be rolled/tire setup?
After 20K mi on my coilovers, there is no rubbing, no rolling fenders, running stock wheels and tires, no spacers. It's a firm ride, and it's what I was looking for, so if that's not what you're expecting/wanting they're not for you.
      08-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #14
Fr3sh
#im_2_Fr3sh
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i xdrive

Thanks, stock springs or h&r or eibach?
2014 428i xDrive F32 | Injen Cai | Er intercooler | Er chargepipe | Er Tic pipe | Er Catless Downpipe | Bm3 Stg 2 93 Ots Agg | Gfb Dv | M Style Trunk spoiler | Black grilles | 35% suntek tints | Continental Dws 06 |
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 05:52 AM   #15
RAK92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Interesting post about firmware updates. Are these required to be done by the dealer? I tried clicking on that link posted but it doesn’t work for me. How can you tell if you have the latest firmware? Going to try my Google skillz now..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
NWest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3sh View Post
Thanks, stock springs or h&r or eibach?
They're a complete coilover kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...47-264632~bil/
      08-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i XDrive

My final visit a couple weeks ago at 39985 miles also had spark plugs, which was surprising (GM 5.3 is 100k). Thought I saw recall about gap on them. They also did oil and brake fluid. I left programming as it was since everything works perfectly right now. Really liked driving that new 2019 X3...
Mojave Metallic | Premium | Driver Assistance | Cold Weather | Navigation | 442M 19" Staggered | Gloss Black Kidneys & Exhaust Tips | Ferrari Red Start Button | M Sport Pedals | LCI Sills | Hikari LED Fogs & Brights | VIP Moto 55W HID | FRG Flat Black Caliper Covers | CF Rear Spoiler, Eyebrows, and Roundels | Huper Optik 30% Ceramic Tint
Appreciate 1
NWest58.00

08-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #18
enochy
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:

Is this just general factory warranty? or did you have maintenance warranty as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #19
NWest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enochy View Post
Is this just general factory warranty? or did you have maintenance warranty as well?
https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html

For model year 2015 or 2016 vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, the BMW Maintenance Program is provided for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first.