F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Traction Control Icon keeps showing up randomly while drivign
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
vincechase
Second Lieutenant
vincechase's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: Bmw F30 335 Xdrive 2015
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Smile Traction Control Icon keeps showing up randomly while drivign

Hey guys,

Wierd thing has been happening to me, it started a few months ago on and off.

I found it to be really strange because I changed out all my tires to brand new DWS contis and 245/40/18's they drive great on the car btw.

Driving down the street in a straight line sometimes random who knows, the traction control light comes on repeatedly as if the car is loosing traction but everything seems to be fine my handling is fine I feel no slippage and the tires are brand new with great grip. Not to mention its not wet outside.

I cant quite figure out why it keeps doing that and what are some things I can do or some tips of what it could be.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
aerostar
Major
531
Rep
1,107
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkash View Post
Hey guys,

Wierd thing has been happening to me, it started a few months ago on and off.

I found it to be really strange because I changed out all my tires to brand new DWS contis and 245/40/18's they drive great on the car btw.

Driving down the street in a straight line sometimes random who knows, the traction control light comes on repeatedly as if the car is loosing traction but everything seems to be fine my handling is fine I feel no slippage and the tires are brand new with great grip. Not to mention its not wet outside.

I cant quite figure out why it keeps doing that and what are some things I can do or some tips of what it could be.

Thanks
Um, are you under hard acceleration during these times?

And did you ever think that you're not getting slippage b/c the traction control is intervening?...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
vincechase
Second Lieutenant
vincechase's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: Bmw F30 335 Xdrive 2015
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

My friend I dont think of these things because Ive had the car for almost 3 years and never had this problem nor with any of my other bimmers.

So something has to be going on. No hard acceleration.

PS Traction control is not that fast its fast but not fast enough for you not to feel the slippage before it catches it self. Usually when you see that traction light you feel the slip. it might be a 10th of a second but you feel it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Um, are you under hard acceleration during these times?

And did you ever think that you're not getting slippage b/c the traction control is intervening?...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
wrickem
shoots lasers
wrickem's Avatar
1198
Rep
3,346
Posts

Drives: what he wants to
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: lambertville nj

iTrader: (0)

I would also have said "check your tires", but I have those same tires on my 435-xdrive and even under hard acceleration from a dead stop on wet roads I've hardly ever seen my traction control light come on. I think I'd have it checked out by the dealer.

I've had x-drive on 5 BMWs since 2007 and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen the traction control light up.

good luck
__________________
______________________________________________
Current- '19 X5 , '19 911, 07 M6 ,'17 Jeep Wrangler
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
vincechase
Second Lieutenant
vincechase's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: Bmw F30 335 Xdrive 2015
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Thanks I will probably have to do that. Cause cant really figure it out lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I would also have said "check your tires", but I have those same tires on my 435-xdrive and even under hard acceleration from a dead stop on wet roads I've hardly ever seen my traction control light come on. I think I'd have it checked out by the dealer.

I've had x-drive on 5 BMWs since 2007 and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen the traction control light up.

good luck
Appreciate 1
wrickem1198.00

      01-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
2028
Rep
3,152
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

Could be a faulty wheel speed sensor giving a false alert to kick it on. Be careful because if it's applying the brakes to one wheel while you're driving it could end up making the car do something unexpected.

Maybe try to pinpoint and see if it comes on more often when driving over bumps/potholes on one side or the other?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 1
wrickem1198.00

      01-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
vincechase
Second Lieutenant
vincechase's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: Bmw F30 335 Xdrive 2015
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Could be a faulty wheel speed sensor giving a false alert to kick it on. Be careful because if it's applying the brakes to one wheel while you're driving it could end up making the car do something unexpected.

Maybe try to pinpoint and see if it comes on more often when driving over bumps/potholes on one side or the other?
Sounds like it makes perfect sense and would likely be the problem. Would bmw Fix this issue for sure and free???

I will definitely have them drive it and see what's up

Thanks so much
Appreciate 1
kern4172027.50

      01-26-2018, 12:53 AM   #8
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
1714
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkash View Post
Would bmw Fix this issue for sure and free???
Yes if it's under Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
vincechase
Second Lieutenant
vincechase's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: Bmw F30 335 Xdrive 2015
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Brand New DWS Cont's and car still sliding in light snow

I have an alignment I have four New continental dws 06 Tire's on. Yet today it snows and little and I'm about to do a fish tail in the condo parking lot. Seems pretty odd and I had this car since few years back bought it New. And didn't slide in inches with stock tires. so why is it sliding on me now?

Very puzzled and not feeling confident in the snow today ??

Snow >1
Me >nail
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
1789
Rep
5,075
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkash View Post
I have an alignment I have four New continental dws 06 Tire's on. Yet today it snows and little and I'm about to do a fish tail in the condo parking lot. Seems pretty odd and I had this car since few years back bought it New. And didn't slide in inches with stock tires. so why is it sliding on me now?

Very puzzled and not feeling confident in the snow today ??

Snow >1
Me >nail
Those tires suck. Are they winter tires? Stick with BMW star tires and then shop tire rack for tires with similar or better specs on handling, treadwear, etc. It didn't slide before because the tires were better.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
vincechase
Second Lieutenant
vincechase's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: Bmw F30 335 Xdrive 2015
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imkash View Post
I have an alignment I have four New continental dws 06 Tire's on. Yet today it snows and little and I'm about to do a fish tail in the condo parking lot. Seems pretty odd and I had this car since few years back bought it New. And didn't slide in inches with stock tires. so why is it sliding on me now?

Very puzzled and not feeling confident in the snow today ??

Snow >1
Me >nail
Those tires suck. Are they winter tires? Stick with BMW star tires and then shop tire rack for tires with similar or better specs on handling, treadwear, etc. It didn't slide before because the tires were better.
The tires suck? 80 percent of people use 68 percent of people use dws 06 tires when it comes to fall/winter seasons

I wouldn't blame the tires

I had an e90 328 rwd that had no problems in the winter with dws 06' on them aswell
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
Niart906
Second Lieutenant
138
Rep
256
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6spd
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scranton, PA

iTrader: (0)

Keep in mind our cars have BMW's newest gen of traction control that is meant to be proactive rather than reactive like older BMWs. So for example if you are in comfort mode and the car sees inputs that lead it to believe it will slip, it will activate the traction control and display the light. You may not feel the slip.

That said, your car is under warranty. Bring it to a dealer and be done with it.
__________________

2013 335i Estoril Blau II/Black
6spd | M-Sport | JB4+BEF | BMS Intake | ER D-P | VRSF Chargepipe | Phoenix FMIC | Megan Racing Sway Bars | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
HRF30
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

VinceChase- I experience something similar today. While driving today in comfort mode (first drive of the day), the car suddenly started throwing traction control light and limited me to 2000RPM. I put the car in ECO mode and everything was back to normal. These are not new tires but are in a good shape.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was?
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #14
vincechase
Second Lieutenant
vincechase's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: Bmw F30 335 Xdrive 2015
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF30 View Post
VinceChase- I experience something similar today. While driving today in comfort mode (first drive of the day), the car suddenly started throwing traction control light and limited me to 2000RPM. I put the car in ECO mode and everything was back to normal. These are not new tires but are in a good shape.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was?
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Dude, they told me it was a sensor problem that reeads when to add traction. Said they fixed it and all.

Still till today I get it randomly. I give up, lease is up in july. Getting a jeep, till x4 M comes out lol
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
388
Rep
720
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Brand new tires will be a lot more slippery until they have time to heat cycle and shed any coatings they may have from the factory. This is hugely prevalent in the motorcycle world, I will never forget riding on fresh rubber the first time, it was practically like skating.

I had this same random TC engagement after installing my new WS80's in the beginning of Winter. TC was popping off sometimes randomly cruising on the highway for a couple weeks until settling down. My PS4S also were not nearly as grippy until they had a few hundred miles on them. I suspect TC learns the expected grip of the tire over time, it would explain why jumping from sticky summer rubber to new winters caused it to kick in so often.
__________________
Add 5 horsepower for every M logo

328i RWD | Sportline | CRed on MW | 6MT | Bootmod3 STG 1 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | KW V2 | F80 LCA/TS | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | Hawk HP+ | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #16
Catalyst989
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 440i xdrive gran coupe, e38
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Any updates with this post? Just leased a 440i xdrive gran coupe and have been having similar issues. On cold start, after reversing up my driveway, the traction control light flashes upon after accelerating forward (normal acceleration, not hard). I also hear clicking noises from the driver side footwell, similar sound to the traction control engaging the brakes. If the car is in eco pro mode, the car will briefly stutter while traction control light comes on. Won't happen again until the next day after the car has fully cooled down. Dealer has been attempting to diagnose it for 3 days now, can't find out what's wrong with it.
I have the pirelli cinturatos on it from the dealer, front left tire has less miles then the rest but at most a couple thousand miles less.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335, conti dws, f30, traction control, wheels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST