F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
GetBMWParts

09-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #67
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtbar View Post
Hi
Thanks for everyone's help . Managed to fit and get coded and now have a fully functioning heated steering wheel
BMWMAN in Heanor Derdyshire .Top Man also coded other stuff at the same time.
Nice one, glad it all got fitted and working ok............just in time for autumn/winter too!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #68
owtbar
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #69
fabkat
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Will need to check mine out. I have the kafas camera but none of the goodies that go with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #70
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calumblack View Post
Does anyone know if there’s a way to code the steering wheel to get warmer like you can for the seats? I’ve just done this retrofit but the wheel isn’t particularly warm. Warmest bit is up at 12 o clock but still not anything like my friends X3!
Mine warms up at the top first, then takes a few minutes to do the rest of the wheel, have you left it on for a while to test it?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #71
RokasLTU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Volvo V50, BMW 318d

Where there a S710A M Leather Steering Wheel with vibration but no heating?

Or if there is vibro, then there definately should be heating?
Appreciate 1
Mr NSB139.00
      10-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #72
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
If there is a working vibrator, then there should be a heating element and the right control box in the wheel. Just need the button and trim.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:46 AM   #73
RokasLTU
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, just checked it, it's all there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
To code the heated steering wheel all you need is

FEM_BODY
3140 PFLinSteeringWheel
CODDT_BYTE_00_SZL_LIN = LHZ_aktiv
LIN_VARIANTE_LRE = lre_tlc_lhz
LIN_VARIANTE_SZL = szl_4Band
LRE_Verbaut = aktiv
Did you code 248 to VO? Or just these FDLs?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #74
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Just did that coding with BimmerCode and it all worked. Didn't want to change the VO as the car is still under warranty
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #75
RokasLTU
Enlisted Member
Rep

It works, thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #76
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #77
Toad535
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
Just did that coding with BimmerCode and it all worked. Didn't want to change the VO as the car is still under warranty
Strangely I don't see fem_body module in bimmercode. 2017 x3... Any idea what module I would need to check? I have:

ACSM
IHKA
KAFAS
CAS
FRM
HUNBTEVO
KOMBI
ICMQL
JBBFE
PMA_PDC
HKFM
CFAS
ICAM
GKEB23
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #78
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad535 View Post
Strangely I don't see fem_body module in bimmercode.
Sorry, can't help you with that, might be worth a bit of intensive googling to see what you can find for your model
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #79
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

That's my first foray into Bimmercode Expert.
All very painless so far.

Some of the coding lines were already "activ" on mine for whatever reason.
Just had to change LHZ to activ and szl_4 and to activ

For those considering this retrofit...

You don't need any tools to do this!
If you want to check your wheel for elements, then a Torx driver is needed. You can use this driver to release the airbag (after disconnecting the battery). You can do this one side at a time as there is enough play when one side of the airbag is released to do the other side. No need to disconnect the bag if you're just checking for elements. I would suggest that if you have the bag off, you can see the large connector for the wires without taking off the trim piece.

Adjust the wheel position to the lowest and furthest out.
See the curtain between the cowl and instruments - it's held by 4 pegs on the cowl. A good tug will release it.
Then an upward tug on the top cowl will pull it off
Pull the tabs on the latch for the lower cowl and that's off too.
The key transponder will pull out.
The lower curtain has 3 pegs that hold it.

The wires on the new switch are short - the plug locating tab is orientated to the middle of the car - it's a bit awkward to see but you can do it by touch.

Parts:
The Parts chap at Rybrook said the number on the first page of the thread for the cowl had been superceded and is now 61319219551. It fits!
When I checked RealOEM.com for the switch, I noticed the number on page 1 was for pre-2015 cars. I ordered the switch appropriate for my LCI which is 61319384363 - just in case any connectors were different. This has a chrome/brushed metal surround.

And the wheel gets warm quickly - you can feel the warmth even before the engine quietens down from its start sequence.

Thanks to contributors to this thread!!!
Appreciate 2
Hugrov423.00
haagm58809.50
      12-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #80
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad535 View Post
Strangely I don't see fem_body module in bimmercode. 2017 x3... Any idea what module I would need to check? I have:

ACSM
IHKA
KAFAS
CAS
FRM
HUNBTEVO
KOMBI
ICMQL
JBBFE
PMA_PDC
HKFM
CFAS
ICAM
GKEB23

I checked under everything but wasn't having luck finding steering wheel related heating. trying to research for my 2016 X4 M sport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #81
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
I have a 2019 F32 with "Active Blind Spot Detection" and a vibrating wheel. Had the switch installed/plugged in and then coded yesterday. When I press the switch, it lights up and the dash shows heated wheel activated. However the wheel never actually gets hot.

When I followed up with the coder he said it was likely that a fuse was not connected or needed to be placed. The installer when back over and said that there was no fuse issue and that when he called the dealer, he was told that car didn't have a heated wheel based on the VIN.

Can the heated switch plug be powered without there being a heating element? What does the heating element look like? Could someone post a pic so that I my installer can verify that I actually have the element?

If I do have the element, what might the problem be?

The switch by my knee says LDW but I think it is actually a blind spot alert that vibrates the wheel when necessary to alert me not to change lanes as opposed to helping me stay in my lane generally. Does that mean that I have a different system?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #82
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Look at Hugrov's (sideways) picture on page 2 of this thread. You can see the white plug with the wires disappearing into the wheel rim. These are the heater wires. If you have those, you have a heater.
AFAIK Active Blind Spot and Lane Departure are different. Lane Departure switch brings up a green icon on the speedo cluster with a car and dotted lines each side. Doesn't Blind Spot just put a light on in the door mirror? (Not had it on BMW so could be wrong).
Lane Departure is easy to test - just cross any white line at speed without indicating. You'll get the vibes.
Appreciate 1
Batdan1.50
      01-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #83
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Look at Hugrov's (sideways) picture on page 2 of this thread. You can see the white plug with the wires disappearing into the wheel rim. These are the heater wires. If you have those, you have a heater.
AFAIK Active Blind Spot and Lane Departure are different. Lane Departure switch brings up a green icon on the speedo cluster with a car and dotted lines each side. Doesn't Blind Spot just put a light on in the door mirror? (Not had it on BMW so could be wrong).
Lane Departure is easy to test - just cross any white line at speed without indicating. You'll get the vibes.
Strangely the switch by my left knee says LDW. So I think that has confused me. I will send Hugrov's pic to my installer so that he can check.

But are you saying it is possible that the heated wheel switch can light up and the dashboard can show you have the wheel activated and yet you not actually have what's necessary for heated wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #84
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

This is the wiring you're looking for on the steering wheel to tell if it's the heated version or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #85
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the pic. Is it possible that the heated wheel switch can light up and the dashboard can show you have the wheel activated and yet you not actually have what's necessary for a heated wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:28 AM   #86
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan View Post
Thanks for the pic. Is it possible that the heated wheel switch can light up and the dashboard can show you have the wheel activated and yet you not actually have what's necessary for a heated wheel?
Probably - but I would expect an error code to be thrown up. Needs a scan to find out though.
No doubt you've done this:
Switch everything off, lock the car. Come back later after its gone to sleep.
Either go out in the car or recharge the battery - if the battery is low, things like seat and wheel heating get switched off in the background to conserve power. I also noticed on mine, when the battery was a bit low (no error messages) the car only allowed half of the heated rear screen to come on! Weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #87
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan View Post
I'm not sure if you'd get that indication if you didn't have the necessary hardware. I fitted the switch and switched it on, the dash showed that the steering wheel heating was active and the switch lit up, however the wheel failed to heat because the car hadn't been coded, the wheel heated immediately as soon as the coding was performed.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #88
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The installer said that the photo is a M series wheel and that mine is not. According to him in order to check for the wiring he would need to remove the air bag and paddle shifters to see if "similar" wiring is in the steering wheel. This would require a new fee of more than $150 bucks.

That's why I'd like to know about the power switch which lights up next to the wheel and the indicator on the dash which says heated seat activated. If they can do that even without the proper heating element I can just quit now. But if they can't unless you have the heating element then I would spring for it.

As I mentioned, by my left knee I have a button labeled LDW but it doesn't appear to be a lane keeping system, it appears to turn on or off the blind spot alert system and vibrates the steering wheel along with the lights if you shouldn't change lanes.

Is it the case that the heat button light and the dashboard alert are being powered by the vibrate blind spot system?
Appreciate 0