F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Small bump, low speed clunk in suspsension?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 21034

iTrader: (0)

Small bump, low speed clunk in suspsension?

Heya! I've read a substantial amount of posts on here dating back to 2012 about the same issue I'm experiencing but none of them are concluded with a detailed resolution.

The noise I'm experiencing is most noticeably heard from the rear driver's side, but can be heard at times on all 4 corners. It is a heavy knock that sounds like what would be a bad ball joint in an older vehicle and I most noticeably hear it when the vehicle is cold and driving over small bumps at 1-15 mph

Is this an issue which has a common resolution?
__________________
2014 435i with 102k miles

BMS intake, VRFS CP/DP/5" HD FMIC, JB4, BMS 3 gallon stealth tank
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
pdegene
Respect My Authoritah
pdegene's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
797
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalArts View Post
Heya! I've read a substantial amount of posts on here dating back to 2012 about the same issue I'm experiencing but none of them are concluded with a detailed resolution.

The noise I'm experiencing is most noticeably heard from the rear driver's side, but can be heard at times on all 4 corners. It is a heavy knock that sounds like what would be a bad ball joint in an older vehicle and I most noticeably hear it when the vehicle is cold and driving over small bumps at 1-15 mph

Is this an issue which has a common resolution?
I made a thread about this recently and believe that you are describing an issue that is caused by the steering rack. Best way to describe it is a wobble noise over road imperfections at low speeds. I've also noticed that as it's gotten colder, the noise has gotten worse and appears more frequenty.

BMW makes a repair kit for the rack, as it is a very common issue, but it's hard to get and dealers know little about it. I ordered it and will have it installed to see if it makes a difference. Others have swapped this part and the issue resolved completely. I'm very hopeful and will keep you updated.
__________________
2014 335xi M-Sport 6MT: Estoril Blue II, BM3 Stage 2, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan CAI, ER Catted DP, ER Chargepipe, AA FMIC, M-Sport Brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 21034

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
I made a thread about this recently and believe that you are describing an issue that is caused by the steering rack. Best way to describe it is a wobble noise over road imperfections at low speeds. I've also noticed that as it's gotten colder, the noise has gotten worse and appears more frequenty.

BMW makes a repair kit for the rack, as it is a very common issue, but it's hard to get and dealers know little about it. I ordered it and will have it installed to see if it makes a difference. Others have swapped this part and the issue resolved completely. I'm very hopeful and will keep you updated.
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to have a link to the repair kit? What is the associated cost?

I'm happy a repair kit has been put together. It seems like most of the threads I read through mentioned the dealer replacing the whole rack which seems pointless to me when the noise must be due to some sort of play given the rack seems fully functional.

Please do let me know if it corrects your issue!
__________________
2014 435i with 102k miles

BMS intake, VRFS CP/DP/5" HD FMIC, JB4, BMS 3 gallon stealth tank
Appreciate 1
pdegene319.50

      12-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
jh_f30's Avatar
1153
Rep
1,642
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalArts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
I made a thread about this recently and believe that you are describing an issue that is caused by the steering rack. Best way to describe it is a wobble noise over road imperfections at low speeds. I've also noticed that as it's gotten colder, the noise has gotten worse and appears more frequenty.

BMW makes a repair kit for the rack, as it is a very common issue, but it's hard to get and dealers know little about it. I ordered it and will have it installed to see if it makes a difference. Others have swapped this part and the issue resolved completely. I'm very hopeful and will keep you updated.
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to have a link to the repair kit? What is the associated cost?

I'm happy a repair kit has been put together. It seems like most of the threads I read through mentioned the dealer replacing the whole rack which seems pointless to me when the noise must be due to some sort of play given the rack seems fully functional.

Please do let me know if it corrects your issue!
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...6891974?c=az0x

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nit/1Vnc3X9PQZ

Installation seems fairly involved. Alternatively, people have said that tightening the screw cap (with the 3 holes "requiring" a special tool) helps. Check the other thread.
__________________
2013 F30 335i RWD ZF Melbourne Red
~Remus Sport Axleback~VRSF Chargepipe~VRSF Catless Downpipe~HR Sport Springs~CF Rear Lip Spoiler~Active Autowerke OBD Flash Tune Stage 2~
Appreciate 1
pdegene319.50

      12-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
pdegene
Respect My Authoritah
pdegene's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
797
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalArts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
I made a thread about this recently and believe that you are describing an issue that is caused by the steering rack. Best way to describe it is a wobble noise over road imperfections at low speeds. I've also noticed that as it's gotten colder, the noise has gotten worse and appears more frequenty.

BMW makes a repair kit for the rack, as it is a very common issue, but it's hard to get and dealers know little about it. I ordered it and will have it installed to see if it makes a difference. Others have swapped this part and the issue resolved completely. I'm very hopeful and will keep you updated.
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to have a link to the repair kit? What is the associated cost?

I'm happy a repair kit has been put together. It seems like most of the threads I read through mentioned the dealer replacing the whole rack which seems pointless to me when the noise must be due to some sort of play given the rack seems fully functional.

Please do let me know if it corrects your issue!
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...6891974?c=az0x

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nit/1Vnc3X9PQZ

Installation seems fairly involved. Alternatively, people have said that tightening the screw cap (with the 3 holes "requiring" a special tool) helps. Check the other thread.
I have read this but I've also read bad things about doing it. Something about it manually forcing two gears together not being good? I wanted to try the repair kit first!
__________________
2014 335xi M-Sport 6MT: Estoril Blue II, BM3 Stage 2, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan CAI, ER Catted DP, ER Chargepipe, AA FMIC, M-Sport Brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 21034

iTrader: (0)

So based on what I can see from the diagrams, the repair kit is just a new spring and guide with a new locking nut. Theoretically, the issue is probably that the spring is not as strong as it was brand new which would explain why so many people report the issue going away but coming back.

That said, tightening the current nut should simply add some pre-load compression to the spring which would return it to a similar pressure as OEM. Seems a lot like a timing chain tension system except that in this case it's a spring as opposed to the oil pressure.
__________________
2014 435i with 102k miles

BMS intake, VRFS CP/DP/5" HD FMIC, JB4, BMS 3 gallon stealth tank
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
pdegene
Respect My Authoritah
pdegene's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
797
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalArts View Post
So based on what I can see from the diagrams, the repair kit is just a new spring and guide with a new locking nut. Theoretically, the issue is probably that the spring is not as strong as it was brand new which would explain why so many people report the issue going away but coming back.

That said, tightening the current nut should simply add some pre-load compression to the spring which would return it to a similar pressure as OEM. Seems a lot like a timing chain tension system except that in this case it's a spring as opposed to the oil pressure.
I doubt they would include other parts in the repair kit if the issue was just a bad spring. Wouldn't the repair kit be just the spring then? If you want to manually tighten the piece, go for it!
__________________
2014 335xi M-Sport 6MT: Estoril Blue II, BM3 Stage 2, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan CAI, ER Catted DP, ER Chargepipe, AA FMIC, M-Sport Brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 21034

iTrader: (0)

I am curious why they'd go through the trouble to include the new top nut and guide - I assume it is because for the amount of time and trouble it is to replace the spring it's worth including all new relevant components for a $30 pricetag.

Logic insinuates that the travel distance of the spring after being squished more won't be identical to OEM, so perhaps the repair kit is worth doing regardless for the purpose of maintaining OEM travel distance and progressive pressure.
__________________
2014 435i with 102k miles

BMS intake, VRFS CP/DP/5" HD FMIC, JB4, BMS 3 gallon stealth tank
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST