F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Small bump, low speed clunk in suspsension?
GetBMWParts

12-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Small bump, low speed clunk in suspsension?

Heya! I've read a substantial amount of posts on here dating back to 2012 about the same issue I'm experiencing but none of them are concluded with a detailed resolution.

The noise I'm experiencing is most noticeably heard from the rear driver's side, but can be heard at times on all 4 corners. It is a heavy knock that sounds like what would be a bad ball joint in an older vehicle and I most noticeably hear it when the vehicle is cold and driving over small bumps at 1-15 mph

Is this an issue which has a common resolution?

BMS intake, VRFS CP/DP/5" HD FMIC, JB4, BMS 3 gallon stealth tank
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
pdegene
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalArts View Post
Heya! I've read a substantial amount of posts on here dating back to 2012 about the same issue I'm experiencing but none of them are concluded with a detailed resolution.

The noise I'm experiencing is most noticeably heard from the rear driver's side, but can be heard at times on all 4 corners. It is a heavy knock that sounds like what would be a bad ball joint in an older vehicle and I most noticeably hear it when the vehicle is cold and driving over small bumps at 1-15 mph

Is this an issue which has a common resolution?
I made a thread about this recently and believe that you are describing an issue that is caused by the steering rack. Best way to describe it is a wobble noise over road imperfections at low speeds. I've also noticed that as it's gotten colder, the noise has gotten worse and appears more frequenty.

BMW makes a repair kit for the rack, as it is a very common issue, but it's hard to get and dealers know little about it. I ordered it and will have it installed to see if it makes a difference. Others have swapped this part and the issue resolved completely. I'm very hopeful and will keep you updated.
      12-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
I made a thread about this recently and believe that you are describing an issue that is caused by the steering rack. Best way to describe it is a wobble noise over road imperfections at low speeds. I've also noticed that as it's gotten colder, the noise has gotten worse and appears more frequenty.

BMW makes a repair kit for the rack, as it is a very common issue, but it's hard to get and dealers know little about it. I ordered it and will have it installed to see if it makes a difference. Others have swapped this part and the issue resolved completely. I'm very hopeful and will keep you updated.
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to have a link to the repair kit? What is the associated cost?

I'm happy a repair kit has been put together. It seems like most of the threads I read through mentioned the dealer replacing the whole rack which seems pointless to me when the noise must be due to some sort of play given the rack seems fully functional.

Please do let me know if it corrects your issue!

Appreciate 1
pdegene319.50

12-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to have a link to the repair kit? What is the associated cost?

I'm happy a repair kit has been put together. It seems like most of the threads I read through mentioned the dealer replacing the whole rack which seems pointless to me when the noise must be due to some sort of play given the rack seems fully functional.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...6891974?c=az0x

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nit/1Vnc3X9PQZ

Installation seems fairly involved. Alternatively, people have said that tightening the screw cap (with the 3 holes "requiring" a special tool) helps. Check the other thread.
pdegene319.50

12-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
pdegene
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...6891974?c=az0x

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nit/1Vnc3X9PQZ

Installation seems fairly involved. Alternatively, people have said that tightening the screw cap (with the 3 holes "requiring" a special tool) helps. Check the other thread.
I have read this but I've also read bad things about doing it. Something about it manually forcing two gears together not being good? I wanted to try the repair kit first!
      12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So based on what I can see from the diagrams, the repair kit is just a new spring and guide with a new locking nut. Theoretically, the issue is probably that the spring is not as strong as it was brand new which would explain why so many people report the issue going away but coming back.

That said, tightening the current nut should simply add some pre-load compression to the spring which would return it to a similar pressure as OEM. Seems a lot like a timing chain tension system except that in this case it's a spring as opposed to the oil pressure.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
pdegene
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So based on what I can see from the diagrams, the repair kit is just a new spring and guide with a new locking nut. Theoretically, the issue is probably that the spring is not as strong as it was brand new which would explain why so many people report the issue going away but coming back.

That said, tightening the current nut should simply add some pre-load compression to the spring which would return it to a similar pressure as OEM. Seems a lot like a timing chain tension system except that in this case it's a spring as opposed to the oil pressure.
I doubt they would include other parts in the repair kit if the issue was just a bad spring. Wouldn't the repair kit be just the spring then? If you want to manually tighten the piece, go for it!
      12-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
DigitalArts
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I am curious why they'd go through the trouble to include the new top nut and guide - I assume it is because for the amount of time and trouble it is to replace the spring it's worth including all new relevant components for a $30 pricetag.

Logic insinuates that the travel distance of the spring after being squished more won't be identical to OEM, so perhaps the repair kit is worth doing regardless for the purpose of maintaining OEM travel distance and progressive pressure.

Appreciate 0