F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Performance vs Brembo Slotted/Dimple + M4 rear pads in S2NH
ARMA SPEED

02-21-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport

M Performance vs Brembo Slotted/Dimple + M4 rear pads in S2NH

Does anyone have any experience running either the Brembo slotted/dimpled rotors or the M Performance slotted/dimple rotors? How is the quality between the two? How are they for light rack days?

They are priced similar and can't decide on which I should get.

Also has anyone ran M4 pads in in their M-Sport (S2NH) rear caliper? How was fitment and performance?

Thanks!
2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality | Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
mholder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Black, mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Panda View Post
Does anyone have any experience running either the Brembo slotted/dimpled rotors or the M Performance slotted/dimple rotors? How is the quality between the two? How are they for light rack days?

They are priced similar and can't decide on which I should get.

Also has anyone ran M4 pads in in their M-Sport (S2NH) rear caliper? How was fitment and performance?

Thanks!
I have the M performance brake kit on my 2017 340i and it is my understanding that at least the caliphers are made by Brembo. Not sure about the slotted/dimpled rotors. Since you have to order the rotors seperately I suspect that they might not be Brembo but BMW (or some other vendor item). BMW needs to be more forthcoming in identifying who manufactures the components/parts that are installed on their vehicles; case in point something as simple as the brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

If they are price similar and I doubt they are go OEM.

I'm pretty sure the brembo is cheaper compared to a BMW stamp m performance rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

If you prefer using OEM brake pads, OEM rotors would be the more practical choices.

I am not a big fan of dimpled rotors because the air gets trapped in the dimples and begins to "pop" against the brake pad passing over the dimples. Some drivers prefer 100% quiet brakes. Dimpled rotors would not be helpful in meeting this goal.

Does your car have smooth brake rotors now?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport

Thanks guys for the replies.

I ended up getting the M Performance ones as they were a bit cheaper compared to Brembo. I believe the M Performance and Brembo are identical in terms of appearance. Both are two piece, non floating, with the zinc coating. Noise wise, I have never noticed anything since installing - my fronts are already dimpled and slotted - Zimmerman with Ferodo DS2500. My old rotors were stock blanks.

I installed the M2/M3/M4 rear pads and they work great. No issues. Did notice that they are made in Germany now. I've seen photos online where they are made in Italy (Brembo?). Either way they work great for rear pads and offer an improvement over the stock m sport pads.
2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality | Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0