F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 / N26 Timing Chain Failure Log
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Did you experience timing chain failure on your N20 engine?
Yes, my timing chain failed or required replacement. 26 15.03%
No, I have not experienced timing chain failure. 142 82.08%
I replaced my timing chain as a preventative measure. 5 2.89%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #221
hidepenny
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: none yet
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Model: 2013 328i
Build: Munich, 01/2013
Mileage: 80000km

no noise whatsoever, but called local BMW service dept today, and was told very expensive and not something you would do proactively. nor there's an interval to replace them as a maintenance item. they said you would hear/see signs long before it is gone. nor could they confirm if the parts have been modified for longivity either.

oil change is once a year
manually turn off stop start

i'm starting to think this premature wear/tear is related to how hard you thrash the car as the timechain goes in hand in with your RPM? from what i can see on youtube, whilst driving harder is not going to put extra stress on the chain, but having a higher RPM makes the chain goes faster thus creating more friction between the chain and the guide, does this sound logical?
Appreciate 1
sspade1774.00

      03-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #222
jje23
Registered
United_States
2
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 328i xDrive M Sport
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

2015 328I N26 44.5k miles no issues so far
Appreciate 1
CajunBMW242.00

      03-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #223
Pabloxxi
Second Lieutenant
Pabloxxi's Avatar
United_States
90
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: 2014-320Xi 2017-330Xi
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Model: 2014 F30 320i XDrive
Mileage: 45,000 miles
Built: South Africa
Timing Chain Status: No problems (so far)
Oil Changes: Following BMW recommendation on computer screen approx every 8,000 miles.
Stop/Start Coded Status: No active. Engine runs with vehicle stopped. Don't like this specially on cold days... Don't think the batteries are developed for this regimen.
Additional Details:
Purchased at Local BMW Dealer as new. This is my wife's car mildly used, and well taken care. Next year the 7 years extended warranty expires and we need to decide what to do.

Last edited by Pabloxxi; 03-22-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #224
Imperial328i
Second Lieutenant
Imperial328i's Avatar
United_States
106
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southern Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Model: 2015 328i with N26, March 2015 build date

Mileage: 66,6xx

Timing Chain Status: No issues or noise

Oil Changes: every 4-5k with Liquimoly 5w-30 and Mann filter since I bought the car 50k miles ago.

Stop/Start: Always off

Additional Details: BM3 stage 2 for last 25k with no problems. Also, I never make short trips without driving around enough to warm the oil up to temp before turning off the car. My commute is at most ten minutes but I always leave 25 minutes early so I can take the circuitous route.
__________________
F30: N26 - ER charge and TIC pipe (brushed aluminum) - ER catted downpipe - GFB DV - Phoenix FMIC - BM3 Stg. 2 93 Octane - F80 steering wheel - Bimmian color-matched trunk spoiler - Sport seats with custom contrast stitching
F87: Just driving it with a smile
Appreciate 1
sspade1774.00

      03-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #225
Nathen4242
New Member
Canada
5
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2015 F36 Gran Coupé 428iX N20
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick

iTrader: (0)

2015 428XI N20 124KM still working like a champ, i had to get my ECU replaced two weels ago thank god for Warranty 3000.00$
__________________
Nathen Wheten
BMW/MINI Moncton
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #226
MRii328i
Second Lieutenant
MRii328i's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i sportline
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 328i sportline sedan
Build date 2013-01-21
N26 motor- 51k miles
Oil changed at least every 10k by original owner.
Dash recommends 9k till my next
Bought 2 weeks ago and fully passed bmw new vehicle inspection after they replaced the oil cooler gasket... Nothing weird yet. I keep auto start/stop disabled.
Scared shitless by the thread honestly lol

Last edited by MRii328i; 03-28-2020 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
sspade1774.00

      03-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #227
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
294
Rep
1,336
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
2013 328i sportline sedan
Build date 2013-01-21
N26 motor- 51k miles
Oil changed at least every 10k by original owner.
Dash recommends 9k till my next
Bought 2 weeks ago and fully passed bmw new vehicle inspection after they replaced the oil cooler gasket... Nothing weird yet. I keep auto start/stop disabled.
Scared shitless by the thread honestly lol
Best advice I can give you if you just bought the car ( I also own a 2013 @ 107k miles now )..
  1. Oil changes every 6500 miles or so ( USE ONLY LL Approved oil, I use LiquiMoly )
  2. Disable Start / Stop permanently ( you can code this out easily )

I dont know about you guys, I give my car a good work-out a few times a week and also im tuned. When
I do my oil change @ 6500 miles im always down a little on oil so recently at the 3000-4000 mile range I add
a little oil ( maybe 1/2 a liter )..

From what ive read over the years in posts like this is that low oil and long intervals is the major contributor to the sludge issues and problems we face..
Part of it is poor design but the long intervals and running low on oil doesn't help at all.
__________________
'13 F30 328i Sport 6MT | '18 G01 X3 xDrive30i | '95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 1
MRii328i208.50

      03-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #228
MRii328i
Second Lieutenant
MRii328i's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i sportline
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Best advice I can give you if you just bought the car ( I also own a 2013 @ 107k miles now )..
  1. Oil changes every 6500 miles or so ( USE ONLY LL Approved oil, I use LiquiMoly )
  2. Disable Start / Stop permanently ( you can code this out easily )

I dont know about you guys, I give my car a good work-out a few times a week and also im tuned. When
I do my oil change @ 6500 miles im always down a little on oil so recently at the 3000-4000 mile range I add
a little oil ( maybe 1/2 a liter )..

From what ive read over the years in posts like this is that low oil and long intervals is the major contributor to the sludge issues and problems we face..
Part of it is poor design but the long intervals and running low on oil doesn't help at all.



I apologize profusely if this may be the wrong thread, but this is what the motor sounds like in the car I just bought (mentioned 2 comments above).





Am I just being paranoid, or is it whining at me?

Last edited by MRii328i; 03-28-2020 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Trying to embed video
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #229
m1256
Private
15
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW x1 sdrive28l
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

The clatter from the fuel injectors is normal but I hear a whine when you increase the RPM's. Take another recording with the hood open for better sound recording. Increase RPM's between 2,000 and 3,000 and hold for a couple of seconds while recording.
Appreciate 1
MRii328i208.50

      03-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #230
MRii328i
Second Lieutenant
MRii328i's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i sportline
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
The clatter from the fuel injectors is normal but I hear a whine when you increase the RPM's. Take another recording with the hood open for better sound recording. Increase RPM's between 2,000 and 3,000 and hold for a couple of seconds while recording.

Went outside in a pretty cold start. Here ya go. Thanks so much for yours or anyone's opinions. I feel like I might be paranoid but I literally just bought it. And the bmw dealer (not seller) said it was in "great shape, and congratulations"


Last edited by MRii328i; 03-28-2020 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Messed up embed
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #231
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
294
Rep
1,336
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
Went outside in a pretty cold start. Here ya go. Thanks so much for yours or anyone's opinions. I feel like I might be paranoid but I literally just bought it. And the bmw dealer (not seller) said it was in "great shape, and congratulations"

Sounds normal to me these N20s sound like diesels.. If anyone hears a whine its very very minor.. Im at 107k i have the oil pump whine ( goes away when warmed up ) and mine is very audible.. Yours sounds fine to me.
__________________
'13 F30 328i Sport 6MT | '18 G01 X3 xDrive30i | '95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 1
MRii328i208.50

      03-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #232
m1256
Private
15
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW x1 sdrive28l
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Go to youtube, plenty of sound clips of n20 timing chain whine. Being it's a known issue, I would at least address it with the dealer, if nothing else for documentation purposes.
Appreciate 1
MRii328i208.50

      03-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #233
MRii328i
Second Lieutenant
MRii328i's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i sportline
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
Go to youtube, plenty of sound clips of n20 timing chain whine. Being it's a known issue, I would at least address it with the dealer, if nothing else for documentation purposes.
I've listened to a zillion of them I feel like haha. The bad ones sound much much worse than mine, like a rocket taking off. But some sound similar. And some say they are fine, or fixed and sound a lot like mine. There's definitely a little whine there but the bmw inspection went great tbh. I'll give them a holler and mention it. So for now my current motor is listed as a "maybe?", as far as timing chain issues go I guess...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #234
m1256
Private
15
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW x1 sdrive28l
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Out of curiosity, what's the manufacture date of the car, it's on the Vin tag located on the driver side door jam. Never mind, I saw it in your post above 01/21/13. Looking though the oil fill oil, is the timing chain guide dark brown/caramel colored? of light coffee colored? I have a 08/13 built N20 and my engine has the light coffee colored timing chain guides. There's some information floating around that the timing chain guides were changed because of bad manufacturing starting around 03/13,but nothing concrete.

Last edited by m1256; 03-29-2020 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
MRii328i208.50

      03-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #235
MRii328i
Second Lieutenant
MRii328i's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i sportline
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the manufacture date of the car, it's on the Vin tag located on the driver side door jam. Never mind, I saw it in your post above 01/21/13. Looking though the oil fill oil, is the timing chain guide dark brown/caramel colored? of light coffee colored? I have a 08/13 built N20 and my engine has the light coffee colored timing chain guides. There's some information floating around that the timing chain guides were changed because of bad manufacturing starting around 03/13,but nothing concrete.
Here's a couple pics. I think these would be considered caramel colored? I touched the plastic guide and it had some play. Not much. My oil smelled mildly like gas too but wasn't really very dark.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by MRii328i; 03-29-2020 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Edit misspelled word.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #236
m1256
Private
15
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW x1 sdrive28l
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

I'v seen darker colored chain guides than this, my chain and guides look about the same as those, I would still consult the dealer if you have concerns.
Appreciate 1
MRii328i208.50

      04-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #237
MRii328i
Second Lieutenant
MRii328i's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i sportline
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
I'v seen darker colored chain guides than this, my chain and guides look about the same as those, I would still consult the dealer if you have concerns.
Called them. They said they took a listen for me at the new vehicle inspection a couple weeks ago and I am good to go. Also a vigorous test drive... They told me to watch for a much higher pitched squeal or rev, and that my car seems very solid. They didn't however check the guides for wear, but said it's less of an issue than people like to think it is. Of course, they are the bmw dealer sooooo...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #238
DadzBmer_N2o
Second Lieutenant
DadzBmer_N2o's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: F30 320ix
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Frederick, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1256 View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the manufacture date of the car, it's on the Vin tag located on the driver side door jam. Never mind, I saw it in your post above 01/21/13. Looking though the oil fill oil, is the timing chain guide dark brown/caramel colored? of light coffee colored? I have a 08/13 built N20 and my engine has the light coffee colored timing chain guides. There's some information floating around that the timing chain guides were changed because of bad manufacturing starting around 03/13,but nothing concrete.
Here's a couple pics. I think these would be considered caramel colored? I touched the plastic guide and it had some play. Not much. My oil smelled mildly like gas too but wasn't really very dark.
Thas how my guides look also, same color and i have currently 43,700 ish..

Also my build date is: 06/2013 Munich 320ix
__________________
2013 320ix N20 8AT|BM3 stg1|Muff Res Delete|HPB-LED-Amber-DRL's
IG: DadzBmer_N2o
Appreciate 1
MRii328i208.50

      04-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #239
MRii328i
Second Lieutenant
MRii328i's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i sportline
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
Thas how my guides look also, same color and i have currently 43,700 ish..

Also my build date is: 06/2013 Munich 320ix
I'm fortunate to have 3k left on my original warranty and a backup after market warranty till 126k, or 5 more years. I'm just gonna warm her up well by driving her soft till she's hot, and stay up on my changes. I was mistaken when I said every 10k for the previous owner oil change. It was once a year and seems to have been between 7500 miles and 10k miles routinely. I'm bumping it up to every 5k 👊. I'm told my guides look fine, so I assume yours are too.
Appreciate 1
sspade1774.00

      04-02-2020, 10:32 AM   #240
DadzBmer_N2o
Second Lieutenant
DadzBmer_N2o's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: F30 320ix
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Frederick, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
I'm fortunate to have 3k left on my original warranty and a backup after market warranty till 126k, or 5 more years. I'm just gonna warm her up well by driving her soft till she's hot, and stay up on my changes. I was mistaken when I said every 10k for the previous owner oil change. It was once a year and seems to have been between 7500 miles and 10k miles routinely. I'm bumping it up to every 5k 👊. I'm told my guides look fine, so I assume yours are too.
Oh nice, i also bought mine used CPO'd from one leased owner but i didn't elect to take extended warrenties, except the maint contract and that ended at X-mas 2019. So far i did one oil change myself and used Amsoil Euro Spec 0W-40 and Amsoil oil filter, i also put less miles on her every month; maybe less than 500. I just dislike that diesel sounds or ticking that comes from our engines, sounds terrible lol. I might end up getting a Injen Evo intake system just to cover up that sound..
__________________
2013 320ix N20 8AT|BM3 stg1|Muff Res Delete|HPB-LED-Amber-DRL's
IG: DadzBmer_N2o
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #241
F30_skrrt
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Model: 2013 328i M Sport.
Mileage: Bought at 54k mi. Currently at 72k mi. BM3 stage 1 since about 63k mi
Timing Chain Status: No issues
Oil Changes: Unknown PO. Need to check my carfax records, but not near them. I changed the oil as soon as I bought it and change it every 3k miles on the dot lol. I've heard waiting longer to change your oil has a more direct correlation of N20s w/ TC issues.
Start/Stop Coded Status: Coded off shortly after ownership
Additional Details: I always warm up the car before driving the car past 2k rpms. Also let it cool down before I turn it off. I get nervous about this issue as well, but it seems like the majority of the ppl haven't experienced this issue. Yet I'm still in an internal battle to preemptively fix it bc it's tuned. Running FBO besides downpipe.

This car has been an awesome daily driver. Very fun for a 4 cylinder turbo.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #242
328dX
Banned
United_States
192
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX wagon
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Model: 2015 328i

Build: 06/2015

Mileage: 40k

Timing Chain Status: Very loud chain slack noise at cold startup, but zero issues after warming up for 1 minute. BMW shop foreman claims the noise is normal and is the HPFP "ramping up" but to me it sounds like a chain with 0 tension.

Oil Changes: Just bought the car at 37k miles, but it has had 4 9-10k interval changes, I will be switching to 3-5k

Stop/Start Status: Always off
Appreciate 1
sspade1774.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST