F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Evo ID4 to ID5/6 Headunit Coding Question
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
step02
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi Gran Coupe

NBT Evo ID4 to ID5/6 Headunit Coding Question

Hello forum, I've been reading a lot and want to thank all the members for contributing their time and knowledge.

I want to upgrade my 2016 428xi head unit to ID5/6, and would only need the new head unit and wifi antenna for wireless CarPlay. My car has existing nav.

If I purchased a head unit from a newer model (WBA4J1C57KBM17874 - 9/2018):
  • Do I have to bench code to change from donor VIN to my VIN on head unit? Or can I code after installing into vehicle (worried about anti-theft measures)
  • Is e-net cable and esys software all I need to code?

Thanks for any guidance!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by step02 View Post
Hello forum, I've been reading a lot and want to thank all the members for contributing their time and knowledge.

I want to upgrade my 2016 428xi head unit to ID5/6, and would only need the new head unit and wifi antenna for wireless CarPlay. My car has existing nav.

If I purchased a head unit from a newer model (WBA4J1C57KBM17874 - 9/2018):
  • Do I have to bench code to change from donor VIN to my VIN on head unit? Or can I code after installing into vehicle (worried about anti-theft measures)
  • Is e-net cable and esys software all I need to code?

Thanks for any guidance!
You don't necessary need a bench but having an emulator to prevent the head unit from locking is highly recommended as some of the firmware versions will put the head unit into a locked state if it detects a VIN mismatch.

If you need help with this, let us know.
Appreciate 1
step021.50

Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #3
step02
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi Gran Coupe

Wanted to thank Steve at CodeMyBimmer for coding my retrofitted NBT Evo ID5/6. I purchased a head unit and antenna and was able to get fully up and running.

Steve was great with answering questions and during the coding process was thoroughly capable. Everything was done remotely which was fast and convenient. Thanks again Steve, I'll definitely reach out with any future projects requiring coding services.
Appreciate 1