F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Stuck rear brakes - dsc/abs?
Studio RSR

11-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Hennnry
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Stuck rear brakes - dsc/abs?

I am having a situation.. my car has been down for about a month now and i am not sure what the problem. Usually, i'm pretty good at using the search engine but i think i'm SOL with this situation. i have a 2014 335i with M Sport (blue) brakes

I've been reading a few situations likely to mine but they don't post their resolution.

My rear brakes are fully compressed. it is just my rear brakes only, my fronts are perfectly fine and free spinning. On Sunday when i was working on the car, i was able to depress the brakes only when i open the bleeder but when i use the tool for depress the brakes, it bent the tool because it's stuck I have bled the brakes and that didn't help. Will bleeding the brakes with the program really help because it will activate DSC pump?

I was advised to get new rear calipers but because the problem is happening to both calipers i don't think it will fix the problem. I just don't want to fork over so much money when this could be a cheaper fix if possible. i don't think the calipers are seized because when the bleeder is open, i'm able to depress the pistons. It honestly feels like there's something not allowing the brakes to depress like as if there's no return

i'm not all that of a mechanic but if there's good DIY's out there, then i'll usually give it a shot. if there's a way to get this fixed without going to the dealer.. i would really much appreciate it. I don't usually run to the forum for help but i think i've asked everyone i could. i'm just being really stubborn and not wanting to spend money on calipers

hopefully you guys can help me find a solution to this..

thank you everyone in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Try bleeding and doing the abs bleeding procedure as well. Can be done through ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If that doesn't work, get them rebuilt or buy a new set.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Hennnry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Try bleeding and doing the abs bleeding procedure as well. Can be done through ISTA.
Okay, let me look up how to obtain ISTA

will try that, thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennnry View Post
I was advised to get new rear calipers but because the problem is happening to both calipers i don't think it will fix the problem. i don't think the calipers are seized because when the bleeder is open, i'm able to depress the pistons.
Normally you can depress the pistons without opening the bleeder, as the fluid just makes its way back towards the master cylinder. Since both have the same symptom it's not the calipers. You need to work backwards along the brake lines until you find where the brake fluid is being prevented from flowing back.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #6
Hennnry
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Normally you can depress the pistons without opening the bleeder, as the fluid just makes its way back towards the master cylinder. Since both have the same symptom it's not the calipers. You need to work backwards along the brake lines until you find where the brake fluid is being prevented from flowing back.
is there a diagram to show how the brake lines are ran or work.. honestly its the first time i have gone more than just changing the brake pads and rotors lol. I'm unsure that it may be the brake lines because it's happening to both sides of the car. i have read that if it is the ABS or DSC, there will be a light on the dashboard? correct me if i'm wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You can find everything at https://www.newtis.info/
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 08:37 PM   #8
s.barnes
S.Barnes
Rep
Drives: BMW 335iX

Question Did you find a solution?

This is happening to my car as well. Did you find a solution? I have my car at the mechanic's shop and they just replaced the rear calipers, pads, rotors and said they've never seen the calipers lock like this and they suspect it's the DSC unit or components. My car hasn't thrown any codes but I took my car in because my calipers would lock sporatically while driving.
Appreciate 0