F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The Great Debate Continues...
Studio RSR

07-31-2014, 05:21 AM   #23
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

£51.7k list, 20k pa, 4 years, £15k. Was £2k difference in final amount when we compared cars at dealer. They advised that the difference in part-ex at end of term would be bigger than that. Suppose we'll find out in 3 years (unless I just buy the car off BMW).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:31 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Obviously deals, discounts, residuals, all influence the way we see the advantages of our personal car purchase. I can do the same for choosing my 535i, but strip away the variables and really look at the difference in running as near to 'like for like' cars, the cost differences are not always that far apart.

I crunched the numbers before moving back to petrol, trying to put it in perspective, most costs running (530d vs. 535i) were very similar except for the fuel costs.

Working from past fuel consumption history (plus fuel monitoring sites) I calculated petrol would close the real world gap, compared to official figure predictions. This has proved to be so, long term average over 30 mpg from the F11 535i touring, mostly for local use, is a pretty reasonable figure.

For me, as a low mileage user in the 535i, an extra £5 - £6 per week on fuel against a 530d, is nothing for having a decent petrol engine, compared to the depreciation for many of our cars with 3.0-litre motors, which is typically around £100 (or more) per week.

Petrol certainly favours the low mileage user, but as we are not all low mileage users, fuel choice is not always even in the equation.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #25
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
51.7k list, 20k pa, 4 years, 15k. Was 2k difference in final amount when we compared cars at dealer. They advised that the difference in part-ex at end of term would be bigger than that. Suppose we'll find out in 3 years (unless I just buy the car off BMW).
2k is ok in my book when it is more expensive in the first place

As a % it is favourable but just considering the amount of depreciation as a sum which is in effect what you are paying out - it is more comparable than I thought

I like to think I'll run term on my deal and buy out at end but suspect my incessant thirst for consumerism will override. It would make such financial sense for me to keep this car for 6 years

Interestingly, my dealer told me my 335i will be a good px as they are so rare. I normally just smile, express delight and go away and research myself though as my experience of dealers is such that they like to keep you happy - although if you have a good relationship with one as I suspect you have based on your posts, then it must be nice to put trust in what they say.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #26
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse View Post

As a % it is favourable but just considering the amount of depreciation as a sum which is in effect what you are paying out - it is more comparable than I thought

I like to think I'll run term on my deal and buy out at end but suspect my incessant thirst for consumerism will override. It would make such financial sense for me to keep this car for 6 years

Interestingly, my dealer told me my 335i will be a good px as they are so rare. I normally just smile, express delight and go away and research myself though as my experience of dealers is such that they like to keep you happy - although if you have a good relationship with one as I suspect you have based on your posts, then it must be nice to put trust in what they say.
I think you're right with rarity - that could well help residuals on the 335i considerably. I think the M3/4 have also done you no harm at all - quite the opposite.

As you say, £2k's neither here nor there compared with depreciation over 4yrs and in all honesty, I'm so blinkered that actually it wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference in my decision What did sway me was the saving having something with a diesel engine would make from tax point of view. Was quite considerable so diesel it had to be. As hardships go, it's tolerable
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux

Last edited by gtsussex; 07-31-2014 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #27
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i nthehouse View Post

I think you're right with rarity - that could well help residuals on the 335i considerably. I think the M3/4 have also done you no harm at all - quite the opposite.

As you say, 2k's neither here nor there and in all honesty, I'm so blinkered that actually it wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference in my decision What did sway me was the saving having something with a diesel engine would make from tax point of view. Was quite considerable so diesel it had to be. As hardships go, it's tolerable
It's hard driving a fast cool car such as a 35d. First world problems eh?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #28
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Seeing as I was only getting 7 more mpg from my 335d than my 435i it would have taken forever to make it worth me buying a 435d as I'm sure that would be just as bad, also with all the fuss about the crap diesel pumps out I'm just wondering how long it be before they start taxing diesel more
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:01 AM   #29
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
Seeing as I was only getting 7 more mpg from my 335d than my 435i it would have taken forever to make it worth me buying a 435d as I'm sure that would be just as bad, also with all the fuss about the crap diesel pumps out I'm just wondering how long it be before they start taxing diesel more
Which is why I find it puzzling from company car point of view that BIK is remaining at 25% by 2016 for a 335d whilst 335i shoots up to 30%!!! All very strange.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #30
nas80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 335d / e21 2.8 24v

I get 19p a mile from my work so I would make cash on journeys if I go for the 335d. its not a lot but it alters the spreadsheet.

btw good shot for doing the comparison, clearly bored at work or have a job in accountancy?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #31
SimmSimma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d Xdrive

Average figures for MPG don't really expose the full story and motivations for an individual's choice. For example I want to travel the 93 mile journey to work relatively frugally, yet at the moment this represents about 25% of the admittedly low mileage I do in my car (I take the train most of the time). It doesn't give clarity to the fact that I have no problem "averaging" say 35 mpg with the family in the car on the way to the beach by which time on arrival the engine probably isn't warm!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #32
badders74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d X Drive

You buy a petrol or a diesel based on your own circumstances and what works best for you.
Financially it doesn't make sense for someone to purchase a diesel who do less than 10K miles a year BUT maybe they bought it because they like the lazy driving style and the torque it provides for overtaking.

On the other hand, a person who buys a 335i but does 20K mles a year won't benefit financially but maybe prefers the engine sound and also gets paid a decent pence per mile for driving.

All horses for courses.

I am glad people on here prefer petrol and some prefer diesel otherwise there wouldn't be much debate!
      07-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #33
badders74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d X Drive

Also if everyone drove petrols, the prices for petrol would rocket and the diesel would go down. Also vice versa! Glad for the variety!
      07-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #34
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by badders74 View Post
You buy a petrol or a diesel based on your own circumstances and what works best for you.
Financially it doesn't make sense for someone to purchase a diesel who do less than 10K miles a year BUT maybe they bought it because they like the lazy driving style and the torque it provides for overtaking.
Yup thats me. Don't regret it one bit, do 7-8k a year. Next car will be petrol (m3/335i) I imagine but I love my 335d's torque its insane.

I did have a 335i in 07 and the sound of that baby was glorious, I do miss that but the tractor sounds great under load. In between I have had a Twingo 133 (shocking build but its a renault!) and a 107 1.0L. So the 335d feels like a P1 lol
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #35
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Makes sense... How do you account for expected future residual value though?

And getting folk to agree on real world fuel consumption figures is impossible!

Can you use your spreadsheet to answer this: On my expected annual mileage for our 335d of 30k miles... How long till I recoup the cost?
I haven't accounted for residuals, discounts etc as impossible to do so really as so variable. As I said, this is simplistic, based on list prices and fuel only...the answer for you diesel boys is to get a big discount off list over petrol

at 30,000 miles p.a, 1.39 years roughly.
But residuals are absolutely imperative to the calculations!!

I would put my life on the residuals meaning the 335d is the same if not cheaper to buy (and therefore also cheaper to lease) so every mile you drive in the diesel is saving you money!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #36
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

The other bit with low mileage is for some (me) I bike in a lot usually, however tend to do single long journeys.

So when I do drive to Newcastle for family, or South Wales, North London etc on business I want decent returns for my fuel.

Then there is fact with 3 series there are a good choice of set ups for diesel.
330d s drive
330d x drive
335d

For petrol
335i

It's a cast of one.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #37
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Low mileage? That'll be me - I do say 6,000/yr and have still opted for 335xd. I like to see good mpg on my long journeys too and with the healthy discount over petrol, the jobs a goodun.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #38
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Cost to me was a bit of a premium, about expected for the xDrive, but partially levelled by the better contribution on offer. Once fuel + tax are factored in it's about the same for the 335d vs 335i. Cost wasn't really an overriding factor though.

My wife has a bearing in this decision, she really like the sure footed feel of AWD and the way it pulls without revving high. She'll be the one doing the school runs in winter in it. I'm also keen on the benefits of AWD but let's not turn this thread into that argument! I was a bit nervous about putting her in a powerful RWD I admit.

So it ticked the boxes important to us; fast, torquey, AWD, and minimal running cost above the monthly's, it's the only diesel I've driven where i really liked the engine so we went for it. In terms of what I felt was the best 'value' it was a 335i PPK touring with a Manual box, with good options it was cheaper by enough to offset extra fuel and better suited to our low mileage. So I don't disagree with Pablo's comments at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #39
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

The main reasons I choose diesels, despite not doing big miles anymore:

1. Road tax lower
2. Range of the fuel tank! typically 550+
3. Torque
4. Mpg, typically 50+ versus 30+ in petrol
5. Residuals

Downsides:

1. Noisier and the rattle
2. Not as quick from standing start to 20mph
3. Higher fuel cost per litre

As you can see, the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion but a petrol hybrid could be a game changer
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #40
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Yep.

Petrol hybrid is the future.

Massive torque from idle.....

McLaren P1 folks...

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #41
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I've thought for a long time the initial outlay for a diesel takes some clawing back in fuel economy, but as others have said, the resale value is generally higher on the tractors. Makes it a close one.
My purchase was mostly ruled by the xdrive, I would have had a hard decision had they offered a rhd 335ix
(when I say a hard decision, I mean a carefully biased explanation to her indoors of how the petrol model wouldn't work out any more expensive...)

Great post Pablo
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #42
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

That reminds me.

When I croak, I don't want one of you buggers with hearse style 335ds offering to take my box to the church.......

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #43
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
That reminds me.

When I croak, I don't want one of you buggers with hearse style 335ds offering to take my box to the church.......

If it's winter we'll have to, while the sdrive hearses sit on their drives...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #44
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
That reminds me.

If you croak i promise to keep up the "Hybrid Petrol is the way forward" mantra.
Appreciate 0