F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > "Unusual" Snow
ARMA SPEED

01-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

"Unusual" Snow

Just come back in from being with friends, in the most unusual snow conditions.

Snow was getting deeper as I drove. We'd had about 9 - 10cm before I went out early evening. Much of it had come down in no wind, so stuck to everything.

Conditions are changing, as we expect a blizzard tonight. As I was driving home the first gusts of wind started blowing. Suddenly a few trees were getting the gusts and started dumping the snow. Total white out in milliseconds.

Had to brake hard and stop dead in the road. It seemed like tons of snow swirling all around and over the car. A wait for it to blow out and clear and then on again, only to have it happen over and over, for about a mile or more, until l was out of the trees.

I've never experienced anything like it. A bit scary when you are making an emergency stop on snow, into a wall of falling snow, which simply overwhelmed the car. Almost like an explosion of snow and zero visibility. Put the braking on snow with winter tyres to the test.

Supports the comment I often make when driving on snow. "If you can't stop, best not to get moving".
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

We've been out to a badminton match this evening - went in the Shogun, which has proper AT tyres on it (it's my shoot bus, really). Roads pretty bad. It's almost as if the council got caught out by the snow, and hadn't been out gritting.
Quite surprising.
Appreciate 0