F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP TCU flash review on x35d ZF 8HP
ARMA SPEED

10-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

xHP TCU flash review on x35d ZF 8HP

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my experience with xHP for anybody here considering it for their x35d (N57) engines.

I went directly for stage 3 OTS map and difference really is staggering:
1. The car shifts so much faster in both D as well as S/S+ - to a point where you really feel it
2. This reflected in the times - 0-100,100-200,1/4mile all improved thanks to faster shifting and removal of torque limits in 3rd & (I think) 5th; in the few tries I did (measured on dragy):
2.1. 0-100: 4.27 to 4.15 -> this is using the custom launch control with ~25% more torque both to build and to allow after launch. Key to note, do not use this in rain , yesterday I did +30% in the wet and for the first time ever I stood in place in my xDrive BMW
- I didn't get the advertised 0.2-0.7s improvement, but the sliders go all the way to +40% there is more room for improvement (max I did was +28%); also some people reported better launches in Sport and transmission in D instead of S - haven't tried that though
2.2 100-200: 12.43 to 12.08
2.3 1/4 mile: 12.45 to 12.32
2.4 0-200: 16.70 to 16.26

3. I am very impressed with some of the nice customizations it offers - I'm using custom launch control and trying the shiftmap editors too
4. What I didn't like was that shiftpoints stayed way up @5,000rpm in sport/sport+ and @2,000 in D; but I'm trying to adjust now with shiftpoint option editor to get closer to Alpina setting which is much better for both economy & performance; EDIT: I just did at it works great! Plus gives you ability to really adjust every single shiftpoint to perfection yourself . Just note - it takes ~50miles of normal driving after such flash for the TCU to settle - don't push it
5. The process of flashing is very easy - no need for battery charger - on these engines there is no need to make initial backup; I got the bimmergeeks K+Dcan cable as I didn't trust the Thor dongle, but they will both work very well - initial flash took 3-4 mins and flashing a map is less than a minute; only issue I have with the cable is that its not very securely attached to the car and always seems like its going to fall out (maybe though I do it wrong)

So overall very happy - can't recommend it enough! Ill be careful with the LC - don't want to put too much stress on the transmission .

Last - I had a flash from Evolve previously on the TCU which made 0 difference. It looked like Stage 1 - only removing the torque limits, but not showing the gears even. But yeah, no difference, and when I asked for something better (showing gears, faster shifttimes), I didn't get an answer back. So I don't recommend going down that route.

Last edited by luke1990; 10-06-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4006.50
      10-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post

Just thought I'd share my experience with xHP for anybody here considering it for their x35d (N57) engines.

I went directly for stage 3 OTS map and difference really is staggering:
1.The car shifts so much faster in both D as well as S/S+ - to a point where you really feel it...
Hi Luke. With the Xhp does the 435D start in Second gear from rest in D?

Do you find Xhp reduces the Torque Converter slur on low speed acceleration from standstill in D?

Quote:
3. I am very impressed with some of the nice customizations it offers - I'm using custom launch control and trying the shiftmap editors too
I'm interested in Xhp mainly due to the editor for the shift points.

Quote:
4. What I didn't like was that shiftpoints stayed way up @5,000rpm in sport/sport+ and @2,000 in D; but I'm trying to adjust now with shiftpoint option editor to get closer to Alpina setting which is much better for both economy & performance
I'd want shiftpoints up in D to be quite a bit higher than 2000 but 5000 in S/S+ seems excessive (to me) given the Torque curve of the standard engine.

Can you keep us updated with your progress with the shiftmap editor.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Hi Luke. With the Xhp does the 435D start in Second gear from rest in D?

Do you find Xhp reduces the Torque Converter slur on low speed acceleration from standstill in D?

I'm interested in Xhp mainly due to the editor for the shift points.

I'd want shiftpoints up in D to be quite a bit higher than 2000 but 5000 in S/S+ seems excessive (to me) given the Torque curve of the standard engine.

Can you keep us updated with your progress with the shiftmap editor.
1. No starts normally in D1
2. Not sure what you mean by TC slur I'm not a native speaker. The acceleration on low speed is fantastic
3. The shiftpoints work great. You can sellect shiftpoint adjustment for both upshifts and downshifts offset for each gear separately. And the setting is separated in D and S which is greawt. I did -16% in D and -7% in. The 2000 I mean with low acceleration - When you do that, stock setting shifts at above 2000, while alpina more like 1500-1700 which is more economical. You can get that here too. Since you dont set hard shiftpoints (that would be impossible since it depends on how throttle you apply), its an offset. When you step on it, it will shift in 4500 in D as well
4. As stated in my update - Im super happy. Will do fair more tinkering with it, but its so intuitive and simple to use
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Hi Luke.
Thanks for the reply

The TC slur I mention, might also be described as slip, before the TC 'locks up'

I find in 'D' as standard there is too much slip at low speed, low acceleration, if you see what I mean. The majority of it may well be due to starting in second gear, as I find 'S' better in this regard.

Any thoughts as to whether this aspect is improved with Xhp?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Hi Luke.
Thanks for the reply

The TC slur I mention, might also be described as slip, before the TC 'locks up'

I find in 'D' as standard there is too much slip at low speed, low acceleration, if you see what I mean. The majority of it may well be due to starting in second gear, as I find 'S' better in this regard.

Any thoughts as to whether this aspect is improved with Xhp?
Can't notice any slip down low - it shifts very well and sure since the flash . That being said, I didn't notice much of that before either . You definitely start in D1 this time though.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Luke, how about an update on your latest position with your xHP tuning?

I have an Evolve-R remap on my 2018 335d F31 xDrive and I'm really interested in trying the transmission tune too as it should really complement the big jump in hp + torque.

Are you running it in Stage 3 all the time or have you reverted to Stage 2. Just wondered as I have seen other posts where they thought that Stage 3 changes in S/S+ were very quick but also harsh and so probably hard on the transmission. Whats your experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Luke, how about an update on your latest position with your xHP tuning?

I have an Evolve-R remap on my 2018 335d F31 xDrive and I'm really interested in trying the transmission tune too as it should really complement the big jump in hp + torque.

Are you running it in Stage 3 all the time or have you reverted to Stage 2. Just wondered as I have seen other posts where they thought that Stage 3 changes in S/S+ were very quick but also harsh and so probably hard on the transmission. Whats your experience?
Well as a quick update they brought in new features - which now also allow to adjust max shiftpoints when you apply more than 95% (I think) of throttle so thats supper cool. I have faster, crisper shiftpoints, more optimized shifts for daily economic driving as well as optimized shiftpoints both up and down for sporty driving, have set the max RPM to 4600 to avoid going beyond that where power just drops off, have faster acceleration a bit because launch adjustments (though thats about the only feature that didn't really do much for me) and faster acceleration in gears as they removed torque limits in both 3rd and I think 5th. And I have different settings I cant recommend it enough .

Stage 3 I think is fine as long as you dont drive all the time in Sport+. Thats where it really get sharp. Stage 3 driving Sport plus is sharp but I feel ok. Of course I can't talk for the transmission
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
ST1NGA
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Touring

Hi Luke

Thanks for the info helped clarify some questions although I do wonder if it's safer to go for a stage 2 to avoid gear box being pushed over its intended wear and tear?
Appreciate 0