F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Eibach Pro Kit + Stock Shocks
ARMA SPEED

01-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Eibach Pro Kit + Stock Shocks

[UPDATe - see page 2 for my 3-month follow up. The Eibach + OEM dampers setup was too underdamped, and I'm going with Dinan springs and bump stops with Koni Sport yellow dampers]

Over the holidays I had the Eibach Pro Kit installed on my F30 2017 340i xDrive, Standard Suspension, MPPSK

Attached are before + after photos. The Before pic is summer, the After pic is winter.

The Eibach Pro Kit is designed to work with stock shocks and claims 0.8" front drop, 0.6" rear drop.

After 1 week of use, I don't think the Eibach springs settled too much, maybe a smidge but it's hard to say. Eibach claims they won't settle at all, so that seems about right.

I had WizardWerks in Chicago perform the upgrade.

The motivation for the upgrade was to get rid of the floatiness and bounciness of the Standard xDrive suspension; and as a bonus reduce some of the excessive wheel gap.

I've driven about 1000 miles with the Eibachs so far. As I had hoped, the float and bounce are gone. Over large bumps on the road, esp at highway speeds, the car returns to normal much faster and is much less unsettled in general. So, a big improvement in my opinion.

Cornering feels much better and there is noticeably less body roll. The car feels more planted in general.

The ride quality feels about the same. Slightly stiffer, but not enough to ruin the ride. In a way, because the car bounces less, the ride feels better to me.

Visibly, the excess wheel gap has been reduced. No, the car isn't slammed, but I'm happy with the reduction of the wheel gap.

Most importantly, on a roadtrip, Wife did not notice the car was lowered (I did raise her seat up to the max in advance), but she didn't complain about the slightly stiffer ride quality. So it passes that key test.

Overall I think this is a solid upgrade to the Standard suspension esp. with xDrive.

As a side note, I have to admit that I actually thought the shocks on my 340i were electronic/dynamic, that Sport mode stiffened the ride. I thought this because iDrive offers the Chassis option (in addition to Drivetrain). I think b/c of the effect of steering weight and the vibration from the MPPSK exhaust, that I "felt" the suspension stiffen in Sport mode. So I drove for over a year with a placebo effect going on. Really kind of funny. Maybe the G20 fixes this misleading iDrive menu option.

Anyway, I recommend the Eibach Pro Kit for anyone with the Standard suspension + xDrive.

I recommend going with the Adaptive M Suspension first, though, if you can...
Attached Images

Last edited by harperium; 03-19-2019 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Very nice!

Lowering improves the overall look of a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
After 1 week of use, I don't think the Eibach springs settled too much, maybe a smidge but it's hard to say. Eibach claims they won't settle at all, so that seems about right.
TUV testing shows their springs "settle" less than 1mm over 500k cycles.

I love how Eibach has detailed documentation available (spring dimensions, test data, and spring rates).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Awesome, I’ll be ordering these for my xdrive as well. Hopefully my struts make it for the duration of my ownership.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I've been going between these, H&R, and Dinan. I think I'm leaning towards the Dinan's only because they offer a bump-stop kit with them. Have you had any issues with scraping? They look great!
      01-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I've been going between these, H&R, and Dinan. I think I'm leaning towards the Dinan's only because they offer a bump-stop kit with them. Have you had any issues with scraping? They look great!
No issues with scraping. I don't have a front splitter either. The Eibach drop for xDrive makes the car about as low as RWD M-Sport. I believe the Dinan drop is slightly more but not much for xDrive.

With the Eibach Pro Kit, the big question is whether to keep stock springs or go with Bilstein B6 or B8. I kept the stock. When the stock springs wear out, I'll probably go with Bilstein and firm up the ride even more.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Why not just buy the Dinan bump stop kit separately? You can find the BMW PNs that Dinan used for their kit and get it much cheaper. That's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
I have just got my F36 435xd fitted with ACS springs and can tell you this also is an improvement with the active suspension + the car now have the ridehight and wheel gap it should have had from factory. I’ll get some “after” pictures tomorrow to show you :-)
On both my former BMW’s I had Eibach springs. These are better. They still have almost OEM comfort, the Eibachs didn’t.

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
I have just got my F36 435xd fitted with ACS springs and can tell you this also is an improvement with the active suspension + the car now have the ridehight and wheel gap it should have had from factory. I’ll get some “after” pictures tomorrow to show you :-)
On both my former BMW’s I had Eibach springs. These are better. They still have almost OEM comfort, the Eibachs didn’t.
What models were your last bmws?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadserial View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
What models were your last bmws?
First one was a E46 330d limo and the second was a E91 330dA.
On the E91 I changed to a Bilstein B16IRC kit. Was quite nice😄

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #11
harperium
Major
Rep

I'm the OP - thought I would chime in again

I've had the Eibach's on for about a month. Love them so far, can't imagine going back to stock. I drove a loaner 330 GT xDrive earlier this month so it was interesting to compare - it felt so much higher up and floaty (though the GT does sit up higher than a 340 sedan).

But now I realize that I actually like a stiffer suspension and am considering later this year putting on Bilstein B8's instead of stock dampers. Would have been cheaper to have them put on with the Eibachs... but oh well

Car has about 30K miles. Maybe at 50K i can justify the Bilsteins.
Appreciate 2
scostu1623.00
      03-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

HI everyone!

I'm about to do the same to the same car - installing eibach pro-kit on a sportline 340i (rwd). I read a lot on eibach on this forum and finally decided to buy ones.
I am installing them on stock shockers and my main fear is that they will not withstand the stronger springs... But as I read here (in other topics) the stronger springs will wear the shockers down quicker, but not within a year or so, correct?
My car has only 30,000KM on the clock so the shockers are fairly new.

Will see - I am doing this change on 15th of March. Sportline suspension (the stock one) is too soft and bouncy to my taste and needs upgrade.
I had 440i on test drive prior to buying my 340i and it had m-optics installed - but those were too stiff for me, that is why I went with "stock" suspension at the end. However that was a mistake too :-) I which there were 3 lines of suspension to choose with 340i - the standard, sport and M-sport (very stiff).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
cu260r6
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

The eibach pro kit springs have a higher spring rate than the M-sport springs. If the M's were too stiff, you may want to reconsider the eibachs.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #14
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

HI,
are you saying that the ride on eibach+stock shockers will be stiffer / harder than on "stock" M-suspensions?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #15
cu260r6
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Yes, the stock, non-sport F30/32 springs are 160lbs/in front and 530lbs/in rear. M-sport and M3/M4 springs are 185lbs front, 575lbs rear. Most aftermarket springs (swift, dinan, eibach) are around 200-250lbs front and 600-730lbs rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #16
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm not too informed when it comes to suspensions, but I would assume the numbers you just posted have to do with "how much weight" you need to "suppress the spring"? The more weight required, the stiffer the spring?

As a side note - i am a fairly big dude (115kg (253.532lbs)) so this should help squeeze them easier
Or not?

Thanks for the head-up though. But I am installing them anyway, as I already have them at home. Now I'm just waiting for the 15th (when tire type change is obliged by law in our country).
Will report on the progress / experience.

Also, I was reading here on this forum that the springs need some time to settle. Does this mean that they will get lower with time? How long does it usually take? And also, can I blast the car the first day they're installed?
tnx
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #17
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejula340 View Post
Also, I was reading here on this forum that the springs need some time to settle. Does this mean that they will get lower with time? How long does it usually take? And also, can I blast the car the first day they're installed?
tnx
Any settling amount should be quite negligible. In Eibach's TUV test documentation they show the springs settling by like 1mm or less over many cycles.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the info.
So I can drive normal / fast since day 1 of installment of this kit?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #19
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the info.
So I can drive normal / fast since day 1 of installment of this kit?
Yes. Since your ride height will be different, you'll probably want to reset your bushings though (loosen the bolt clamping them, then with the vehicle loaded, like on ramps, tighten them back to spec).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #20
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm going to have the shop install the kit, I'm not too practical myself
So can you elaborate what needs to be done and how (and why it is good) so I can tell my mechanic to do it?
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #21
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Had it installed already as there was a free slot at the shop.

I think the car sits either in front too high, or in the back to low (or both). The low beam became very high and is blinding oncoming vehicles in my garage. The difference / height of the beam is absolutely too high. (i have adaptive led kit). When I start the engine the lights adapt to max height I would say (it is dark in the garage). Is this normal? Do i need to adjust the headlights now, due to car being lower? But I think the car did NOT lower equaly, because if it would then the beams would actually be lower in general (and would require raising), not higher than before, right?

Why is this so? Is it because of a poor job of installment? Or should the 340i sit lower in the back than in the front?
My car is rear drive.

Any thoughts on what can be done? I can't drive much with car like these as the police would notice the low/high beam as it is blinding.

Thank you.

Last edited by tejula340; 03-09-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #22
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Had it installed already as there was a free slot at the shop.

I think the car sits either in front too high, or in the back to low (or both). The low beam became very high and is blinding oncoming vehicles in my garage. The difference / height of the beam is absolutely too high. (i have adaptive led kit). When I start the engine the lights adapt to max height I would say (it is dark in the garage). Is this normal? Do i need to adjust the headlights now, due to car being lower? But I think the car did NOT lower equaly, because if it would then the beams would actually be lower in general (and would require raising), not higher than before, right?

Why is this so? Is it because of a poor job of installment? Or should the 340i sit lower in the back than in the front?

Any thoughts on what can be done? I can't drive much with car like these as the police would notice the low/high beam as it is blinding.

Thank you.
Headlight leveling is due to the ride height sensor. When your car is lowered the lights will aim higher. You need to adjust the headlights lower with the screw on the headlight units, I recommend using a 6mm hex instead of using the phillips (you can use both) since the phillips doesn't grab as well.
Appreciate 0