F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Eibach Pro Kit + Stock Shocks
Studio RSR

03-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Thanks - I guess I will need to lower the beams manually.

For future reference for other members, here is how it is done:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1262875
(check the last image in the thread).

But how about the ride height? Back is optically lower the front. Will the springs settle / give-in over some time? Do i need to drive the car a bit more for the front springs to meet the rear height?
The balance of the car is visually not OK, however the car rides very well and doesn't feel out of balance (front-to-back).

Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #24
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I've been going between these, H&R, and Dinan. I think I'm leaning towards the Dinan's only because they offer a bump-stop kit with them. Have you had any issues with scraping? They look great!
Why not just buy the Dinan bump stop kit separately? You can find the BMW PNs that Dinan used for their kit and get it much cheaper. That's what I did.
This can't be overstated, picking a spring just because it offers a bumpstop kit would be silly. I have the Dinan springs myself actually but bought their bumpstops separately (they're actually OEM BMW bumpstops from other models, you can reference the part # on Dinan site and buy separately for 1/2 the cost).

All you should really consider with springs is the lowering amount, stiffness (Dinan is 30% stiffer than stock for example ), and maybe if it's a progressive or linear spring. Ultimately I went with Dinan because the Eibach's weren't common at the time and Dinan reportedly offered a bit smoother ride than H&R and almost as good of a drop on RWD, XDrive has reverse rake.

At the end of the day wish I went coilovers though because I want to dial in my gap more.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #25
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've checked again.

Rear wheels have "112003101ha" installed, which are rear springs (as per eibach).

Front wheels have "112003102va" installed, which are front springs (as per eibach).

Both (all 4) springs are for 340i non x-drive - fits my car.

I am still puzzled as to why the car sits so low in the rear.

Check out the picture:

and here is the max resolution image:
View post on imgur.com

Please advise on what can be done.

Car has very little mileage so I don't believe there's something wrong with suspension. Also, the car sat really nicely on stock springs (was even).

I also tried putting my fingers between tire and bumper and in the front I can fit 2 fingers easily, while in the back I can't. There's only room for 1 and a half finger (very inaccurate measurement I know, but it shows the difference).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #26
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejula340 View Post
I've checked again.

Rear wheels have "112003101ha" installed, which are rear springs (as per eibach).

Front wheels have "112003102va" installed, which are front springs (as per eibach).

Both (all 4) springs are for 340i non x-drive - fits my car.

I am still puzzled as to why the car sits so low in the rear.

Check out the picture:

and here is the max resolution image:
View post on imgur.com

Please advise on what can be done.

Car has very little mileage so I don't believe there's something wrong with suspension. Also, the car sat really nicely on stock springs (was even).

I also tried putting my fingers between tire and bumper and in the front I can fit 2 fingers easily, while in the back I can't. There's only room for 1 and a half finger (very inaccurate measurement I know, but it shows the difference).

Thanks
Eibach makes multiple front (and sometimes rear) springs for the same vehicle. The spring rates are identical, but the lengths/heights are different. To get the ride height you want, you may want to mix/match. For example, the front springs they make for the 340xi and 440xi (on the USA site) have the same spring rate, but the 340xi spring is 10-15mm taller. On the Euro catalog it shows both springs being for the 340xi, so essentially it's up to you to choose which you want.

If you want to increase your rear ride height, check out some of the other rear springs listed in their catalog and spec sheet to see which has the same spring rate, but is a bit taller.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #27
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,
but how am I suppose to know which length of spring was installed in my car now?
LIke i said:" Rear wheels have "112003101ha" installed, which are rear springs (as per eibach)."
The place where I bought the springs did not provide an info on the back spring's length.

On a side note - is there like a simple fix to add 1 cm to the height without buying new spring? Like adding "static 1 cm" on top of the spring? Maybe I am talking nonsense...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #28
cu260r6
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

There is. You can add a 'spring booster,' but it is difficult to find one that fits correctly. Remember, you only need to a small booster to the spring to produce a larger lift because of the angle of the suspension pieces involved. You are placing the spacer closer to the fulcrum of the lever.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:11 AM   #29
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you.
So if I needed 0,5 cm to be added in the back how big a "booster" should I choose?

Also, is this a simple install?
Would that require to perform "optical alignment" at the end of procedure?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #30
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejula340 View Post
Thank you.
So if I needed 0,5 cm to be added in the back how big a "booster" should I choose?

Also, is this a simple install?
Would that require to perform "optical alignment" at the end of procedure?
Hi,

Firstly i don't think your car looks bad as it is, i have an x-drive so i am used to the front looking higher than the back!! However if you were to put 100Kg on each front seat i.e. a driver and passenger, i bet it looks perfect.

Looking at the Eibach specs for the 340i rwd it states a lowering of Front 35mm and Rear 40mm which is probably what you have, the x-drive springs that i am looking to get are Front 35 & Rear 25 which may give you the stance you are after. If you are really set on changing it maybe buy the rears for an x-drive and sell yours?

I think how it drives and feels is more important than how it looks anyway, if Eibach thinks it drives better with lower rear springs on a RWD I'd probably stick with it!
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #31
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am a 110kg guy so I balance the front quite fairly :-)

Well in fact in the last days I think the front settled down a bit more and now it looks more balanced (front to back).

I also like the appearance much more.

Not to mention the AMAZING TRANSFORMATION of the car, due to these springs. Yesterday I took it for a blast on some country road (where I often drive) and the difference is absolutely amazing. I love how it corners now, so stable and confident! Before, with stock springs, It was really shaky and unstable on the curves, albeit cornering well.
Now I feel like driving another car. Also, traveling on highway is much more stable and only a little less comfortable. It still bounces at high speed, but much much less.

I would rate this upgrade 10/10. Very little sacrifice to comfort, yet a huge upgrade in driving dynamics!! To anyone in doubt - do the upgrade and thank me later.

The only thing I'm worried now is the following - let's say I drive 2 guys in the back (both having 100kg each) - would that slam the car totally? I don't want the car to look like a cheaply modded honda civic when traveling in 4....

Next upgrade - MPPSK !
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #32
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I’m the OP

After 3 months with the Eibach Pro Kit and stock dampers, I decided to ditch the Eibachs and go with Dinan spings + bumpstops, and replace the OEM dampers with Koni Sport yellow. (I tried to order the Bilstein B8, but they are still unavailable. I would have kept the Eibach if I could have gotten the B8.)

Why? Well, I have no scientific data, but it feels like the OEM dampers have degraded a bit in the last 3 months. The car has 33K miles on it, and about 5K since the Eibachs were installed. The car just feels underdamped to me.

I originally went with Eibachs + stock shocks as it seemed like the most cost effective option, but now, well, I guess I learned another le$$on the hard way as usual.

I will post a new thread when I get the Dinan + Koni installed and post before/after.
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      03-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #33
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I'm the OP

After 3 months with the Eibach Pro Kit and stock dampers, I decided to ditch the Eibachs and go with Dinan spings + bumpstops, and replace the OEM dampers with Koni Sport yellow. (I tried to order the Bilstein B8, but they are still unavailable. I would have kept the Eibach if I could have gotten the B8.)

Why? Well, I have no scientific data, but it feels like the OEM dampers have degraded a bit in the last 3 months. The car has 33K miles on it, and about 5K since the Eibachs were installed. The car just feels underdamped to me.

I originally went with Eibachs + stock shocks as it seemed like the most cost effective option, but now, well, I guess I learned another le$$on the hard way as usual.

I will post a new thread when I get the Dinan + Koni installed and post before/after.
Ah I was about to ask for this. I have Bilstein B14 coilovers on the way for this exact reason. Welp now I'm stuck with some eiback pro kit springs 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #34
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Over the holidays I had the Eibach Pro Kit installed on my F30 2017 340i xDrive, Standard Suspension, MPPSK

Attached are before + after photos. The Before pic is summer, the After pic is winter.

The Eibach Pro Kit is designed to work with stock shocks and claims 0.8" front drop, 0.6" rear drop.

After 1 week of use, I don't think the Eibach springs settled too much, maybe a smidge but it's hard to say. Eibach claims they won't settle at all, so that seems about right.

I had WizardWerks in Chicago perform the upgrade.

The motivation for the upgrade was to get rid of the floatiness and bounciness of the Standard xDrive suspension; and as a bonus reduce some of the excessive wheel gap.

I've driven about 1000 miles with the Eibachs so far. As I had hoped, the float and bounce are gone. Over large bumps on the road, esp at highway speeds, the car returns to normal much faster and is much less unsettled in general. So, a big improvement in my opinion.

Cornering feels much better and there is noticeably less body roll. The car feels more planted in general.

The ride quality feels about the same. Slightly stiffer, but not enough to ruin the ride. In a way, because the car bounces less, the ride feels better to me.

Visibly, the excess wheel gap has been reduced. No, the car isn't slammed, but I'm happy with the reduction of the wheel gap.

Most importantly, on a roadtrip, Wife did not notice the car was lowered (I did raise her seat up to the max in advance), but she didn't complain about the slightly stiffer ride quality. So it passes that key test.

Overall I think this is a solid upgrade to the Standard suspension esp. with xDrive.

As a side note, I have to admit that I actually thought the shocks on my 340i were electronic/dynamic, that Sport mode stiffened the ride. I thought this because iDrive offers the Chassis option (in addition to Drivetrain). I think b/c of the effect of steering weight and the vibration from the MPPSK exhaust, that I "felt" the suspension stiffen in Sport mode. So I drove for over a year with a placebo effect going on. Really kind of funny. Maybe the G20 fixes this misleading iDrive menu option.

Anyway, I recommend the Eibach Pro Kit for anyone with the Standard suspension + xDrive.

I recommend going with the Adaptive M Suspension first, though, if you can...
Glad to hear that you like the Eibach springs. I put them on my 2015 335i x-Drive about six months ago. They are about 10% stiffer than stock whereas I've been told by Dinan that theirs are about 30% stiffer than stock. H&R springs are much stiffer and twice the drop (just too radical for a daily driver that my wife shares).
I was trying to improve handling without going harsh and rattling teeth especially on a long drive. At the same time I installed Koni Special Active shocks. They use an automatically adjustable two valve system that softens potholes and road seams but reacts like a sport shock when I drive aggressively. They developed this technology with McLaren. I am really happy with the combination. A Koni technical guy actually recommended the combination of their Special Active shocks and the Eibach springs which they said they had tested in the US.
I also install the H&R front and rear sway bars. This is something that seems to be avoided on F30's because the labor cost is high, but so very worth it. I love the way this car handles now. Incredibly flat around curves, yet smooth and not teeth rattling on a regular commute or long drive. A couple different BMW employees who drive a lot of them were amazed after driving my car. The Eibach springs, Koni Special Active shocks and H&R sway combination really works together. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #35
harperium
Major
Rep

You were smart to also install new dampers with the Eibach Pro Kit springs.

Despite what Eibach says (how Pro Kit is designed to work with OEM dampers), the truth is that Eibach Pro Kit is designed to work with dampers like the Bilstein B8, and if you run OEM dampers in conjunction, you are basically underdamped. The car is drive-able, and it's an improvement, in some areas over OEM springs, but it's worse in other ways.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #36
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Quote:
You were smart to also install new dampers with the Eibach Pro Kit springs.

Despite what Eibach says (how Pro Kit is designed to work with OEM dampers), the truth is that Eibach Pro Kit is designed to work with dampers like the Bilstein B8, and if you run OEM dampers in conjunction, you are basically underdamped. The car is drive-able, and it's an improvement, in some areas over OEM springs, but it's worse in other ways.
Here I thought I had my mind made up with Eibachs, and you come back and crush my dreams
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #37
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadserial View Post
Here I thought I had my mind made up with Eibachs, and you come back and crush my dreams
Just get new shocks

Bilstein B8 are good - but apparently in perpetual backorder. They don’t require bump stops.

Koni Sport yellow are good - require bump stops, though some have gone with the OEM bump stops (which doesn’t seem like a good idea to me).

Honestly I haven’t found a third option.

Coilovers? A bit more money. I hope I don’t regret not getting coilovers. I’m having Dinan springs, bump stops + Koni yellows installed this week.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #38
cu260r6
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

I have M4 springs which are about 20% stiffer than my stock F32 springs, and the Koni Special Active shocks I paired them with are working very well. I would suggest those on Eibach's since B8's are on backorder and Koni Yellows are about 40% more expensive. Yellows are probably necessary on Dinan or H&R springs though.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #39
deadserial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 320ix

Quote:
Just get new shocks

Bilstein B8 are good - but apparently in perpetual backorder. They don’t require bump stops.

Koni Sport yellow are good - require bump stops, though some have gone with the OEM bump stops (which doesn’t seem like a good idea to me).

Coilovers? A bit more money. I hope I don’t regret not getting coilovers. I’m having Dinan springs, bump stops + Koni yellows installed this week.
yeah I think for the price I'd be approaching the cost of ST coilovers which are the option I'm kind of leaning towards right now. If it wasn't just a spring on factory shocks, then I was thinking coilovers. Now who wants to help me siphon funds from my bank accounts so the wife won't notice? haha that's what I get for marrying a CPA!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #40
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Just get new shocks

I've heard the Koni Yellows are more comfortable and less stiff than the Bilstein B8's. I guess it depends on what your preference is. Lowered comfort sounds more ideal to me, so I think you made a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #41
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
I've heard the Koni Yellows are more comfortable and less stiff than the Bilstein B8's. I guess it depends on what your preference is. Lowered comfort sounds more ideal to me, so I think you made a good choice.
My decision was also influenced by the fact that Dinan sells their springs + bump stops + Koni Sport yellows as a system.

Dinan even told me their recommended Koni settings their springs, Front: 1.5 turns from full soft, Rear: 0.25 turns from full hard. (I don't know if this is specific for my car or general to all cars, '17 340xi)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #42
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
My decision was also influenced by the fact that Dinan sells their springs + bump stops + Koni Sport yellows as a system.

Dinan even told me their recommended Koni settings their springs, Front: 1.5 turns from full soft, Rear: 0.25 turns from full hard. (I don't know if this is specific for my car or general to all cars, '17 340xi)
Do you have a link to their package listings?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #43
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Do you have a link to their package listings?
https://www.dinancars.com/products/?...bodytype=Sedan

This is all Dinan products for a ‘17 340i xDrive

The Koni Sport yellow on the Dinan page are almost 2x the price. They have been pre-adjusted by Dinan, though. You (or your installer) can also make this adjustment.
Appreciate 1
mlev370.00
      04-14-2019, 04:46 AM   #44
tejula340
Enlisted Member
Rep

Reporting in after 1 month of use of eibach prokit on stock shocks. Feels really good and I would never go back to original springs.
I am currently satisfied with this setting, but if shocks wear out anytime soon i will replace them with better ones, to test out even stiffer ride.
But at the moment I have no complaints.
To all considering installing eibach prokit springs on stock shocks - do it. It might not be optimal, but it is a hell of an improvement. It doesn't cost much, either.
Appreciate 1
Stevro7.00