F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Locating rattle from front passenger side
proTUNING Freaks

03-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i GT xDrive M Sport

Locating rattle from front passenger side

Hey all. I've been trying to figure out where this rattle might be coming from.

The key characteristics seem to be that it starts when the engine is up to temperature and when in first gear.

I'm not sure if it's worse on level ground or on an incline.

I used to have a 328i f30 with an n20 engine that made the same noise.

I took it to the dealership and we narrowed it down to the engine bay. when applying pressure to the top of the engine. it seemed to go away.

if anyone has dealt with this before, I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions on how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've been poking around in the engine bay and still can't seem to find what's causing it.

I've seen reports of the timing belt tensioner rattling and mine does seem to be wiggling, but I'm not sure if this is the issue.

again, if anyone has any idea of what this could be, I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I have a intermittent rattle from the passenger side when the car is engaged in drive and stationary similar to yours but not as loud.
Can't seem to pinpoint where the rattle is coming from.
Have checked the engine bay, can't see anything loose.
Put my head near the foot well, seems to be louder, can't tell if it's coming from under the car, behind the dash or engine bay.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 03-20-2019 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
I have a intermittent rattle from the passenger side when the car is engaged in drive and stationary similar to yours but not as loud.
Put my head near the foot well, seems to be louder, can't tell if it's coming from under the car, behind the dash or engine bay.
it's not as loud as it is in the video. the microphone was just very sensitive.

try having someone apply downward pressure to the top of the engine to see if that gets rid of it. it's not a fix, but if it does, that means we may have the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by applehusky View Post
Quote:

try having someone apply downward pressure to the top of the engine to see if that gets rid of it. it's not a fix, but if it does, that means we may have the same thing.
[/QUOTE]

try having someone apply downward pressure to the top of the engine to see if that gets rid of it. it's not a fix, but if it does, that means we may have the same thing.[/QUOTE]

After I read your post. I did have a look on top of the engine. That's where fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump are located and is a source of noise (ticking) but nothing was loose. I took off the engine cover, but it didn't make a difference. It only happens when engaged in drive with the brakes on, when there is a slight load on the engine and transmission as there is more vibration from the engine. I put it in drive and applied the hand brake, only problem is as soon as you open the drivers door the car automatically goes into park and the rattle stops. I got round this by using the passenger door.
I thought I found the problem when I put my ear near one of the plastic covers as I could hear a tapping. Took the cover off, but the rattle was still there.
Tried dampening some of the hose etc.
Seems almost impossible to find.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

try having someone apply downward pressure to the top of the engine to see if that gets rid of it. it's not a fix, but if it does, that means we may have the same thing.[/QUOTE]

After I read your post. I did have a look on top of the engine. That's where fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump are located and is a source of noise (ticking) but nothing was loose. I took off the engine cover, but it didn't make a difference. It only happens when engaged in drive with the brakes on, when there is a slight load on the engine and transmission as there is more vibration from the engine. I put it in drive and applied the hand brake, only problem is as soon as you open the drivers door the car automatically goes into park and the rattle stops. I got round this by using the passenger door.
I thought I found the problem when I put my ear near one of the plastic covers as I could hear a tapping. Took the cover off, but the rattle was still there.
Seems almost impossible to find.[/QUOTE]
damn. that sounds exactly like mine.

please let me know if you find anything. I'm going to try and get it up on a lift some time soon to see if it might be under the car.

my '13 328i xdrive had the same noise. that had the n20 engine though.

so weird...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Seems almost impossible to find.[/QUOTE]

please let me know if you find anything. I'm going to try and get it up on a lift some time soon to see if it might be under the car.

so weird...[/QUOTE]
There was a known issue of noise on the 335 engine on one of the hoses. I believe it was a/c hose where the fix was to attach a weighted clamp to the hose.

My car has the n20 engine and the hoses are different. I tried padding out the hoses to stop any movement but didn't make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Seems almost impossible to find.

so weird...[/QUOTE]
There was a known issue of noise on the 335 engine on one of the hoses. I believe it was a/c hose where the fix was to attach a weighted clamp to the hose.

My car has the n20 engine and the hoses are different. I tried padding out the hoses to stop any movement but didn't make a difference.[/QUOTE]

ooh I'll have to look into that!
thanks for the info.

I'll update here with the results.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #9
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's the thread.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=335+hose
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

looks like my car already has that weight.
I found a website that describes a bunch of different rattles and what causes them.
I'm particularly curious about this one...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...b47/1VnYz2P0Kx

can't figure out where those pictures are taken from though. in starting to doubt it's the same engine.

I'm also wondering if it's this...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-lg/1VnYHo7aJg
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

I'd try using a mechanic's stethoscope to pinpoint the location of the noise.

I tried listening to your YouTube but it wouldn't make sound. I'll try again later. I wish you a lot of luck pinpointing this and I hope it's something unimportant and inexpensive. One of the very best ways to avoid expensive engine repair is to do exactly what you're doing — listen to the engine telling you when something might be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

The first set of instructions looks promising as the rattle only occurs when the brakes are applied and the car is in drive.
Will have a look next week.

The rattle doesn't sound anything serious. But is just annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #13
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

after some looking around, I think I narrowed it down to a rubber bumper around what I think is a hose for the oil cooler.

the hose was coming into contact to a seam in the bodywork. the rubber piece was fitted around the hose and looked like it was supposed to separate the hose from that seam.

I moved it to where I thought it was supposed to go and took it for a drive. haven't heard anything so far. will keep this thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:33 AM   #14
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
after some looking around, I think I narrowed it down to a rubber bumper around what I think is a hose for the oil cooler.

the hose was coming into contact to a seam in the bodywork. the rubber piece was fitted around the hose and looked like it was supposed to separate the hose from that seam.

I moved it to where I thought it was supposed to go and took it for a drive. haven't heard anything so far. will keep this thread updated.
Quote:

Can you take a photo of the piece?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #15
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

it's a little difficult to see but I circled it.
let me know if these pictures don't work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #16
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. I did check the hoses and tried separating some with some padding. There was a plastic hose clamp that was loose but wasn't the source.
The hoses are not exactly the same on the N20 engine but will have another look.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. I did check the hoses and tried separating some with some padding. There was a plastic hose clamp that was loose but wasn't the source.
The hoses are not exactly the same on the N20 engine but will have another look.
right on!
hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #18
DonJuan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, F15 X5, F30 328d, E30

Love it. It sounds like my diesel!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #19
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
right on!
hope this helps.
Had another look today. The hoses are not the same as for the 335.
Tried a few things, checked the hoses, there were some plastic peices and a wire that are not tied down. But didn't make a difference.
Not actually sure the noise is coming from the engine area. If I put my head low down behind the passenger seat. I can hear it, seems louder than from the drivers seat.
Then driving the car back, the car was behaving itself and wasn't making the noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #20
applehusky
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
right on!
hope this helps.
Had another look today. The hoses are not the same as for the 335.
Tried a few things, checked the hoses, there were some plastic peices and a wire that are not tied down. But didn't make a difference.
Not actually sure the noise is coming from the engine area. If I put my head low down behind the passenger seat. I can hear it, seems louder than from the drivers seat.
Then driving the car back, the car was behaving itself and wasn't making the noise.
well that sucks. you have the 328i?
looking back I don't think I had the same exact rattle that my 335i had, but I do remember a rattle that happened over bumps in cold weather it came from the passenger side. I think that website I mentioned earlier may have descriptions of rattles from many different models. have you looked around there?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #21
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

A couple of days after I picked up my 328i, I noticed a rattle that I was positive was coming from the passenger door. As the car was still under factory warranty, I made an appointment with the dealer. The body expert comes out and we drive the car backwards and forwards in the service bay; you can hear something rolling. He says, "Air vent under the seat," disappears and returns with a long piece of wire. Five minutes' fishing, and he hands me . . . a lipstick! A regular lipstick tube; I gave it to my girlfriend and she's using it now. Car rides perfectly.

The point is that I thought the rattle was in the door, or in the seat belt mechanism. It took somebody with a good ear and experience with the cars to spot it. Maybe your rattle is as well hidden.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #22
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
well that sucks. you have the 328i?
looking back I don't think I had the same exact rattle that my 335i had, but I do remember a rattle that happened over bumps in cold weather it came from the passenger side. I think that website I mentioned earlier may have descriptions of rattles from many different models. have you looked around there?
I had a look underneath the car today on the passenger side. I un-bolted the plastic undertray underneath the gear box sump.
Couldn't see anything obvious that was loose. There were a bunch of plastic pipes that weren't really tied down and slightly loose but didn't look like the likely cause. I loosely cable tied them together anyway to stop them moving about. I put a foam block underneath the gear box sump to try and dampen the tray.
I think it may just have worked. I tried putting the car in drive several times and driving around briefly and so far haven't been able to replicate the rattle. So it looks like it was the plastic pipes rattling against the undertray when the car is in drive and the engine underload.
Probably too early to say for sure if it's fixed but hopefully the rattle doesn't return.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 04-19-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0