F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Things You DON'T Like About The 3/4 Series
GetBMWParts

03-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #133
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The whiney owners.
surely that's the point of progress ?

if you want things better make the manufacturers aware (I'm certain a few visit here)

you don't buy a bmw for basic utilitarian A to B use

even if it is a minor gripe
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #134
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adybaby View Post
After a few weeks my only real issue is the road noise!!! I can't believe that no one else has had a moan about it?? The roar you get from certain road surfaces is shocking - surely someone else must have this?? Unless I have the worst tyres ever (conti sport compact 5 RF)
Same here, and for a lot of people I think. Combine road noise with pretty damn loud wind noise from the driver's window and you get quite the orchestra.

BMW really needs to do something about this if they don't want this problem to start dripping over to social/TV media and it really becomes a "thing" where certain people will just automatically avoid BMW because a quiet cabin is one of the do wants on their list.

I don't lose any sleep over it, I usually have the radio on or playing something groovy, so I'll just bring it up next time I'm at the dealer, but seriously a ~50k car shouldn't have these problems -,-
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #135
Adybaby
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Dealer looking at it on Weds - guess what the outcome will be????

Local dealer looking at the car weds re unacceptable road noise - one of 3 answers me thinks:

A. oooohh that is noisy, heres some ear muffs.
B. oooohh that is noisy, heres what we can do.
C. It is what it is...you have to live with it.

I hope at least I can test another car with different tyres to get a feel if it is normal - I hope it isnt!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #136
Adybaby
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by taleb View Post
surely that's the point of progress ?

if you want things better make the manufacturers aware (I'm certain a few visit here)

you don't buy a bmw for basic utilitarian A to B use

even if it is a minor gripe

It is a bit whiney I guess, especially moaning about insignificant issues, but having a cabin noisier than an aeroplane lading is not good enough....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #137
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adybaby View Post
It is a bit whiney I guess, especially moaning about insignificant issues, but having a cabin noisier than an aeroplane lading is not good enough....
ye but if it's something you use everyday and it could be fixed in the next iteration rather than 'deal with it, least you ain't starving' I don't understand why it's deemed whiney

like the fact it resets to comfort even if you left it in sport

it's unnecessary
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #138
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Owned the car for 12 hours.

I despise the auto start/stop function. The transition is not smooth at all. Fortunately you can turn this off and I believe you can code it in such a way that it stays off by default.

Other than that, so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #139
ardyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Owned the car for 12 hours.

I despise the auto start/stop function. The transition is not smooth at all. Fortunately you can turn this off and I believe you can code it in such a way that it stays off by default.

Other than that, so far so good.
If you've got a 2014, it should remember automatically with no coding required.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #140
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyer View Post
True story - coded to key.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #141
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
Correct, whatever state you leave it in when you turn the car off it comes back on in that state. BTW my 428i auto start/stop is pretty seamless
      03-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #142
RPN
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

My top complaint may actually be unique since I never see it come up. On initial acceleration in Comfort mode there is a significant delay that almost feels like the transmission (8AT) is in neutral and then engaging. If I'm already in Sport mode this does not exist. This is not about turbo lag (which is pretty much non-existent) or the more gradual throttle mapping under Comfort mode. It just isn't there for a second, then it is.

The F30 is without a doubt an amazing set of compromises that really bug the crap out of some folks. For me, I tend to love them. I needed a family sedan that we can blast off for a day of skiing in. I needed a luxury car that I could spend a 5-8 hour day driving in. And I wanted something to give me a little of that smile back that I had as a kid driving other people's 3'ers. This car absolutely cannot handle (mine is base including suspension) anything like those old cars, but I do still enjoy banging it through some turns on a warm dry day. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the authority off the line FROM A TURBO from zero RPM (screw launch control, but maybe 'cause I have a 2013). Wish I had better seat bolsters, less body roll, whatever. But I got exactly the car I expected to get and then some. I can literally spend 5 hours straight in this car perfectly comfortable in varying road & traffic conditions, then pop into sport mode and drive it like I stole it once I'm free, then load my wife and kids in for dinner.

The other thing that irritates me, but it's my own fault, is I don't have HID lights. The downgrade lights are incredibly poor. They have no place on a BMW of any trim. But I bought off the lot end of month, end of year, so it is what it is. And the aluminum trim on the console scratches WAY too easily.

Also, love, love, love the clean simple dash including iDrive UI. Love that amber remains the color. Go ahead and get a Q50 if you want to live in a techno, cliq-pop, Akihabara world. I thought I'd hate having the display fixed and high on the dash, but everything is so understated that it doesn't bother me at all. Wish iPhone integration was better, but glad the focus remains on immediacy of information and driving.

I'm 10,000 miles in and every time I think of some deficiency I almost always realize shortly after that addressing it would throw the balance off somewhere else. It may not be a car for everyone, but I do think it's a pretty incredible balance among utility, comfort, and performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #143
Rautha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328ixDrive touring

Had my 2014 F31 328i for 3,000 miles thus far.
Coming from an 2009 E91 328i 6MT

Only 3 dislikes thus far....
1. Light steering feel. While the steering is precise and communicative, I find the feel, especially at low speeds in comfort or EcoPro, to be too light for my tastes
2. No MT option on US wagons
3. When opening the rear glass only, the cargo shade does not automatically retract like it did on the E91.

In general have been very pleased thus far.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #144
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
I see about the moonroof - yeah I find that a little annoying now that you mention it in my E90. The auto high beam is very finicky so it makes sense that it works very infrequently in HK. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you get the nav from the factory?
my '13 f150 fx4 sunroof does the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #145
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

i absolutely hate that BMW decided it would be a great idea to cover the center console in cheap crappy plastic. the whole flow of the center console....from the HVAC controls down to the gear selector is all crappy. they should have done something similar to the 5er.

i dont like that the key fob is a lot larger.

i dont like how the LEDs in the door (as part of the interior lighting package) is too dim. you can barely tell its on (and thats at maximum setting)

i dont like how the XM favorites doesnt give you an audible notification.....or atleast a better visual one.

i dont like how BMW still offers halogen headlights.
      03-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #146
ardyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
i dont like how BMW still offers halogen headlights.
I grumbled about that one to my neighbor until he pointed out that he's has his xenon bulbs stolen out of his car
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #147
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I grumbled about that one to my neighbor until he pointed out that he's has his xenon bulbs stolen out of his car
back in the early 2000's stealing Nissan Maxima HID headlights used to be more common than breathing. But that stuff doesnt happen as often anymore....its not something id worry about.

the other thing that bothers me about the car is the location of the grab handle on the doors. its too close to the pivot of the door, makes it feel uncomfortable when closing
      03-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #148
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Anyone else annoyed that the garage door opener doesn't work until you turn the car on? When you get into the car some lights are activated but not the garage door opener. You can't open the garage door unless you hit the start button. You also need to close the garage door before you turn the car off.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #149
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

1. Why did the key grew in size? E90 key was perfect. I would gladly stick my key below the start button in order to charge my key, than having to carry an oversized car key. Stupid design.

2. Who at BMW decided it was a good idea to move steering audio controls to the right side of steering wheel? That only works if you drive on the wrong side of the road (UK). Ergonomically, it makes zero sense.

3. Wind noise and built quality are subpar compared to E90. This is true for 335i 328i 328d and my 320i. Every single one I test drove and got as loaner were the same. It is "not bad", but I can't believe they lowered their own standard.

4. Last but not least: Electronic power steering. Enough said. It has lost a magical touch compared to E90. It is "not bad", but I still miss the E90 steering feel.

However, I knew what I was buying and I got exactly what I paid for. No surprises to me. Just want to make BMW aware of their shortcomings. This is still the best sport sedan in the segment, especially the 320i with sport package. I think an used E90 M3 will be on my radar in 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #150
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Sad to say, but I think our F30post forum has one of the most posts and new threads related to problems out of any other car forums that I have ever visited. Every other thread is about something wrong. The CLA forum is sorta getting there and may match us one day.

I think this speaks volume to the quality of these cars. Not bad, but definitely concerning.

For those of you considering to purchase the so-called best luxury sport sedan (or coupe) in the world, here is a summary of common F30
/F32 problems:

- Limp mode
- Wind noise
- Steering wheel vibration
- Steering wheel not centered
- Steering wheel clicking sound
- 2500rpm buzzing
- Horn malfunction
- High battery discharge
- Door seal creaking
- Dashboard rattle
- HUD rattle
- Center armrest rattle
- Glove box rattle
- Door rattle
- 3rd brake light rattle
- Taillight popping out (solved)
- Cheap Interior plastic trim creaking (subjective to owner)

And I have only just listed the more common ones, where it has repeatedly been brought up.

dL
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #151
hockeyno93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Xdrive Sportline

A few things:

1.) Two things when I start up the car. The inability on my '13 to turn off the Auto Start/Stop. And the A/C coming on automatically. Both should have options to choose your default preference. The '14 obvious addresses the first issue, but I'm not sure if it does the second.

2.) The location of heated stearing wheel button. You have to look well around the steering wheel, and that can be quite dangerous with the car in motion.

3.) My breaks squeal really bad on mornings where the temperature is below about 40 degrees. After compressing the brakes tightly a few times, the squeal goes away. But it sure is embarrasing to have my car making that kind of noise. I'm going to ask them about that when the car goes in next.

It's my first BMW, so I think it drives great including the steering. But I would have to admit ignorance from not having a BMW before and not experience that "feel" that you all mention. Overall, I love the car and think there will always be "issues" with any car you buy. The pros highly outweigh the cons to me.
      03-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #152
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Does anyone know if my BMW dealer will be able to code the car so the side mirrors auto fold whenever I turn off and lock the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #153
mrunner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

It would have been much better if there was an indicator for the heated steering. The button on the steering column is fine, you can reach over and feel where you are pressing. But you need to stick your head down under or turn the wheel and look under to check if the LED is on of off.

Some where much more in view, like in the dash similar to how the low gas warning triangle appears.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #154
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
Does anyone know if my BMW dealer will be able to code the car so the side mirrors auto fold whenever I turn off and lock the car?
as far as i know, i dont think its something they're offering to do....maybe for a price...but at that point you might as well have someone code the car for you and do a whole bunch of other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunner View Post
It would have been much better if there was an indicator for the heated steering. The button on the steering column is fine, you can reach over and feel where you are pressing. But you need to stick your head down under or turn the wheel and look under to check if the LED is on of off.

Some where much more in view, like in the dash similar to how the low gas warning triangle appears.
I was thinking the same thing! maybe even relocating the button somewhere else, like next to the heated seat.