F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > 2016 f30 Side Marker Question
Extreme Powerhouse

09-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
jkstyle834
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e M Package

2016 f30 Side Marker Question

Hello,

So im trying to install smoked side marker on my 2016 f30. I do have that bumper camera on the side. I heated the side marker till it was too hot to touch but the glue just wont budge. Do i have to take that camera off in order to replace the side markers or do i need to heat it up longer? I dont want to damage the camera by heating it too long... help please.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
ltaylorwarren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i xDrive Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstyle834 View Post
Hello,

So im trying to install smoked side marker on my 2016 f30. I do have that bumper camera on the side. I heated the side marker till it was too hot to touch but the glue just wont budge. Do i have to take that camera off in order to replace the side markers or do i need to heat it up longer? I dont want to damage the camera by heating it too long... help please.
When I replaced the side markers on my 2016 F33, I did not need to remove any of the sensors from inside the bumper. I just heated the marker and the area around it to the point of being hot to the touch. Then using a plastic trim tool, i pressed into one of the upper corners until it started to give and I was able insert another trim tool in the gap I created. It was then just a matter of pressure and moving around the gap. The adhesive is very good and does not want to come loose. After I got the old marker out, there was old adhesive residue on the inside of the bumper that you need to remove to give yourself a clean surface for the adhesive on the new smoked side marker. The first one is always the hardest, as you are not sure how much force can be applied. It also helps if you can reach behind the marker from inside the wheel well and pull on it from that side with a flat plastic type scraper. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

A little bit of heat, and a lot a bit of force. Dont be afraid to push hard. I found it easier to go through the wheel well with one hand, and push on the backside of the bumper surrounding the reflector, and then pushing the reflector with my other hand. The heat helps, but definitely dont use a lot of it. It will budge eventually.

If it helps, heres my install video. I obviously do not have cameras, but I imagine the install would be the same. Just gotta be a little more careful with the cameras.

09-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
jkstyle834
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaylorwarren View Post
Quote:
Hello,

When I replaced the side markers on my 2016 F33, I did not need to remove any of the sensors from inside the bumper. I just heated the marker and the area around it to the point of being hot to the touch. Then using a plastic trim tool, i pressed into one of the upper corners until it started to give and I was able insert another trim tool in the gap I created. It was then just a matter of pressure and moving around the gap. The adhesive is very good and does not want to come loose. After I got the old marker out, there was old adhesive residue on the inside of the bumper that you need to remove to give yourself a clean surface for the adhesive on the new smoked side marker. The first one is always the hardest, as you are not sure how much force can be applied. It also helps if you can reach behind the marker from inside the wheel well and pull on it from that side with a flat plastic type scraper. Hope this helps.
Thanks. Will try to put something between the bumper and the side marker.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
jkstyle834
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
A little bit of heat, and a lot a bit of force. Dont be afraid to push hard. I found it easier to go through the wheel well with one hand, and push on the backside of the bumper surrounding the reflector, and then pushing the reflector with my other hand. The heat helps, but definitely dont use a lot of it. It will budge eventually.

If it helps, heres my install video. I obviously do not have cameras, but I imagine the install would be the same. Just gotta be a little more careful with the cameras.

Yea i saw this video. Haha. Yea i didnt want to burn the paint.... felt like super glue was used on my side marker. Will try again to night.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Quote:
Yea i saw this video. Haha. Yea i didnt want to burn the paint.... felt like super glue was used on my side marker. Will try again to night.
Haha oh! Well hopefully it was somewhat helpful.
Hopefully not glued on though! That would be terrible!
      09-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
jkstyle834
Private
Rep

Yea.... i just ended up taking the bumper off lol. Because i had a front lip to install also. (Lip ended up not fitting, i dont know why... seemed like it was warped or something) But That double sided tape was really on there. I heat gunned it from the back and the glue wasnt budging. I used a thread to slice between the glue and the side marker. Seemed like a simple project ended up becoming a PITA.... anyway at the end, i think it was worth it. Looks so much better. I think this looks way better than smoke tinting. Thank you all for the help. 🍻🍻🍻
Attached Images

Appreciate 0