F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > does 48V Mild Hybrid actually feed 11hp to drivetrain?
GetBMWParts

05-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

does 48V Mild Hybrid actually feed 11hp to drivetrain?

I have searched the ends of the globe and have not found any explanation to how the 48V MH feeds 11hp to the drive train

as far as I'm aware it powers the starter motor, the power steering and some other low powered electrics.

i don't even think it powers the AC

anyone knows how it feeds 11hp to the drivetrain?

thanks

(I have a M340i)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 03:42 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post

(I have a M340i)
It's a belt drive motor/generator.

It can also simply 'drive' the car along with engine off, on light cruising loads.
Attached Images

Last edited by HighlandPete; 05-18-2022 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
G30M3730.00
      05-18-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post

(I have a M340i)
It's a belt drive motor/generator.

It can also simply 'drive' the car along with engine off, on light cruising loads.
It's worth noting to add to this discussion, in the next gen B58 and all new S68 applications debuting on the x7 and new 7 the electric motor will be moving to the transmission vs it's current location on the end of the crank.
Appreciate 2
Rux637.50
      05-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Yes it does, there is a graphic display in idrive showing when it's helping it also engages when you select launch control.

I find that it does a good job even though it's only another 11hp.
      05-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
It's worth noting to add to this discussion, in the next gen B58 and all new S68 applications debuting on the x7 and new 7 the electric motor will be moving to the transmission vs it's current location on the end of the crank.
In my 530e the electric motor replaces the torque converter. Are you saying that the mild hybrid electric motor will do the same?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #6
cmicali
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 40i

It does, and it displays eBoost on the instrument cluster when it is delivering power (although I think it does at other times too)

More here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1796976
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #7
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
In my 530e the electric motor replaces the torque converter. Are you saying that the mild hybrid electric motor will do the same?
No in the new mild applications it does not replace the torque converter like a full hybrid but instead of being attached to the crank like the gen 1 system it is now installed in the transmission itself so I expect it will have more "full hybrid qualities" but won't be able completely replicate

However the power rating is wild, 147lbft but only 12hp. I have not been able to find the torque rating of the current gen 1 system but I suspect it is significantly less even though the hp is similar.

The mild hybrid system is also never fully additive, that 147lbft (or whatever the number is in current application) is used to cover standstill, low rpm, shifting, and turbo lag moments. But is not ever fully pushing on top of peak engine power like a full hybrid would.

For example the lci x7 power ratings, the total system (MH + ice) torque peak of the updated b58 is barely above the torque peak of ice alone and for the v8 the rating is the same, despite the 147lbft capability of the electric motor. That tells me the hybrid motor is tapering off as the ice ramps to full power and is only filling gaps. Which makes sense given the smaller batteries.

It seems to goal of the mild hybrid system is to work to more fully flatten the torque curve in part throttle moments or when the ice is not fully on the boil. (Also provides a smooth auto/stop start)
Appreciate 2
Vervain397.50
      06-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
No in the new mild applications it does not replace the torque converter like a full hybrid but instead of being attached to the crank like the gen 1 system it is now installed in the transmission itself so I expect it will have more "full hybrid qualities" but won't be able completely replicate

However the power rating is wild, 147lbft but only 12hp. I have not been able to find the torque rating of the current gen 1 system but I suspect it is significantly less even though the hp is similar.

The mild hybrid system is also never fully additive, that 147lbft (or whatever the number is in current application) is used to cover standstill, low rpm, shifting, and turbo lag moments. But is not ever fully pushing on top of peak engine power like a full hybrid would.

For example the lci x7 power ratings, the total system (MH + ice) torque peak of the updated b58 is barely above the torque peak of ice alone and for the v8 the rating is the same, despite the 147lbft capability of the electric motor. That tells me the hybrid motor is tapering off as the ice ramps to full power and is only filling gaps. Which makes sense given the smaller batteries.

It seems to goal of the mild hybrid system is to work to more fully flatten the torque curve in part throttle moments or when the ice is not fully on the boil. (Also provides a smooth auto/stop start)
Thanks for the info. Do you know if they are going to convert the AC an other subsystems to electric so that it runs when the engine is off?

That's one think I like about the MB 48v mild hybrid is they don't have any belts, things like the AC compressor is run off the 48V system so even when engine is off (i.e. at a red light) the AC compressor is still running and you still get cold air). BMW Gen 1 48V mild hybrid still has a built and AC compressor still run off the engine, so when engine is not running, you get warm air blown at you.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know if they are going to convert the AC an other subsystems to electric so that it runs when the engine is off?

That's one think I like about the MB 48v mild hybrid is they don't have any belts, things like the AC compressor is run off the 48V system so even when engine is off (i.e. at a red light) the AC compressor is still running and you still get cold air). BMW Gen 1 48V mild hybrid still has a built and AC compressor still run off the engine, so when engine is not running, you get warm air blown at you.
my expectation is no, they have not. but it is possible.

I haven't seen anything in the materials that calls out they have converted additional subsystems to 48v. the only potential indicator is a throwaway line that the MH battery can feed electrical power back to other vehicle systems, but that is as much detail as i have read.

BMWs priority is efficiency and if their math shows in the avg start/stop event the AC coils will remain cold enough for the duration I imagine they prefer to reserve that power for reduced fuel on restart and takeoff
Appreciate 0