F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SOS Emergency Call malfunction + other issues
proTUNING Freaks

04-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
thadoggfatha
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5

SOS Emergency Call malfunction + other issues

Hi everyone,

Okay so I’m experiencing a number of issues with 2018 330i XDrive and I don’t know what the issue is.

About last years changed all the bumpers and side skirts to the m performance stuff and did a muffler delete. Around the same time I started getting this Emergency call malfunction.I tested if it works when I press the button and it does in-fact work. But the operator on the other side cannot hear your voice. This is also true with Bluetooth phone calls as well. I can make and receive calls but the other person cannot heat my voice from the in car microphone.

I also no longer have any functionality with the board computer(BC) button which really sucks. On top of this all my car is not able to locate my current position on the navigation which means I cannot use it.

I am still able to play music on my Bluetooth, but the car seems to be giving me so many annoying errors

Side note : My roof is wrapped and they had to remove the antenna to wrap it as-well over a year ago. (I wonder if all these issues have to do with the aerial unit) I have not been able to get any codes to determine the issue, if anyone can recommend a scan tool that will be of any help it would be appreciated.

Once again thanks for any help.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

So I just wrote about replacing my telematics control unit battery to take care of my 'emergency sos call' malfunction. I presume you also have an annoying yellow triangle.

See my post and hope it helps with that one issue. You'll probably break a clip on the brake shield since it's at a slight angle...might be handy to have an extra. One from my e46 fit fine after a little filing. (It's the single clip by itself on the brake light cover...and is different from the other four)

While you're beneath the shark fin anyway, you can look for other things that might be around. I assume they removed it from underneath

That said, your unit 'may' be in your trunk...easy to verify. But, given your other issues, I suspect there are other units there and/or in the c-pillars which need to come off to drop the headliner enough to get to the TCU battery/etc.

I wonder if maybe you blew a fuse from that repair before...would explain loss of a number of things at the same time. Good luck figuring out the universal fuse diagram.

...and I got the Foxwell scanner ...worked fine clearing codes...doesn't 'do' coding, though.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      04-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfatha View Post
Hi everyone,

Okay so I’m experiencing a number of issues with 2018 330i XDrive and I don’t know what the issue is.

About last years changed all the bumpers and side skirts to the m performance stuff and did a muffler delete. Around the same time I started getting this Emergency call malfunction.I tested if it works when I press the button and it does in-fact work. But the operator on the other side cannot hear your voice. This is also true with Bluetooth phone calls as well. I can make and receive calls but the other person cannot heat my voice from the in car microphone.

I also no longer have any functionality with the board computer(BC) button which really sucks. On top of this all my car is not able to locate my current position on the navigation which means I cannot use it.

I am still able to play music on my Bluetooth, but the car seems to be giving me so many annoying errors

Side note : My roof is wrapped and they had to remove the antenna to wrap it as-well over a year ago. (I wonder if all these issues have to do with the aerial unit) I have not been able to get any codes to determine the issue, if anyone can recommend a scan tool that will be of any help it would be appreciated.

Isn’t it still under warranty? Or have you voided that?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Okay so I'm experiencing a number of issues with 2018 330i XDrive and I don't know what the issue is.

Isn't it still under warranty? Or have you voided that?
Warranty will not pay if it traces back to wiring error from all these other changes (which it most likely is).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Warranty will not pay if it traces back to wiring error from all these other changes (which it most likely is).
You’re taking a chance doing mods while under warranty. This is what can happen. I’d go back to whoever did the roof wrap.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4486.00
      05-05-2020, 11:16 PM   #6
MALAYA_F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340xi

I got the same problem same exact thing. I got a my roof wrapped 4 months ago went thru snow and heavy rain it was all good up till last week where out of no where I got this message on my dash "emergency call malfunction " brought the car to my local bmw kept the car for a few days got back to me and told me that just because I have many roof wrapped the shark fin wasn't properly sealed and water got into it and fried the telecommunication module part number #84-10-9-843- 931 needs to be replaced and reprogrammed. What I don't understand is that the module is in the trunk and if it wasn't properly sealed then I would have a wet headliner... they quoted me 2700$ for the job
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 11:43 PM   #7
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi everyone,

You said you wrapped your roof and remove the antenna... water got it on the antenna.. there a module in there....that is the problem. You need it replaced

This happened to my F36. Everthing works but I was unable reset clock on the iDrive. I can't send command from the connected drive. Can't use connected Drive app. Sos not working

Your telematics control is broken and they also need to replace roof antenna.

Telematics control pn# 84-10-6-836-753 mine anyway check if it's the same for your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAYA_F30 View Post
I got the same problem same exact thing. I got a my roof wrapped 4 months ago went thru snow and heavy rain it was all good up till last week where out of no where I got this message on my dash "emergency call malfunction " brought the car to my local bmw kept the car for a few days got back to me and told me that just because I have many roof wrapped the shark fin wasn't properly sealed and water got into it and fried the telecommunication module part number #84-10-9-843- 931 needs to be replaced and reprogrammed. What I don't understand is that the module is in the trunk and if it wasn't properly sealed then I would have a wet headliner... they quoted me 2700$ for the job
There are 2 different locations for the telematics box, depending on the model and the year.

One is in the rear near the fuses which is black on a metal tray.

The second is white and built in under the shark fin antenna and covered by the roof liner.

Though a bad wrap job could allow water into the shark fin and cause electronic damage in either, the serious damage ($2700) would be in the later where the telecom box is combined with the shark fin in the roof.

I imagine that's where these issues are coming from though neither poster has qualified it.

As you can see from the pic below, the white one in the roof is combined with the shark fin, while the black one is a totally separate unit in the rear of the vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I was told mine was on the roof with the shark fin antenna
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 05:48 AM   #10
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Guys, if it was me, I'd check the battery and the connections on the TCU first before buying a new one.

They'd have to go through a bit of work to coincidentally break it while wrapping your car, but disconnecting it, or maybe having the battery drop out seems very possible.

You don't have to remove the entire headliner...just the 2 C pillars and the brake light cover.

Find my thread with Telematics in the title...and I hope it helps some. BTW, as it was wrapping guys figuring out how to remove pillars and such, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the pry tools might have snagged a wire in the c-pillar too...there's a bit of stuff hiding in there...might explain your other issues OP.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Guys, if it was me, I'd check the battery and the connections on the TCU first before buying a new one.

They'd have to go through a bit of work to coincidentally break it while wrapping your car, but disconnecting it, or maybe having the battery drop out seems very possible.

You don't have to remove the entire headliner...just the 2 C pillars and the brake light cover.

Find my thread with Telematics in the title...and I hope it helps some. BTW, as it was wrapping guys figuring out how to remove pillars and such, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the pry tools might have snagged a wire in the c-pillar too...there's a bit of stuff hiding in there...might explain your other issues OP.
The units work with a dead battery provided they have power supplied from car.

The battery is just a backup in case of a catastrophic failure during a wreck.

Whoever wrapped the car left a gap in the seal where moisture could enter the shark fin and short out the electronics.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #12
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Check the codes in ISTA, could be a wiring problem. My F15 had a clogged sunroof drain which got the headliner all wet and ruined one of the microphones. The error in ISTA clearly indicated a problem with the mic.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #13
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Whoever wrapped the car left a gap in the seal where moisture could enter the shark fin and short out the electronics.
I think he could call but they couldn't hear...the code could be for the TCU, but he'd get the same warning if the battery had popped out because the 'guy' didn't put it back in.

I'm sure he'd pulled/knocked some things...not necessarily water damage yet, but it clearly could be.

There are a lot of electronics in the path he'd need to travel to get under the shark fin...just saying. Good luck OP!

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Quote:

I think he could call but they couldn't hear...the code could be for the TCU, but he'd get the same warning if the battery had popped out because the 'guy' didn't put it back in.

I'm sure he'd pulled/knocked some things...not necessarily water damage yet, but it clearly could be.

There are a lot of electronics in the path he'd need to travel to get under the shark fin...just saying. Good luck OP!
If he could call, but they couldn't hear him, that's certainly not caused by a dead battery/battery disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
Check the codes in ISTA, could be a wiring problem. My F15 had a clogged sunroof drain which got the headliner all wet and ruined one of the microphones. The error in ISTA clearly indicated a problem with the mic.
Wouldn't the Dealership do this prior to replacing a $2700 ATM

One would at least hope so.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If he could call, but they couldn't hear him, that's certainly not caused by a dead battery/battery disconnected.

Wouldn't the Dealership do this prior to replacing a $2700 ATM

One would at least hope so.
I could call also while having a warning that my sos call thing had an issue and I had a yellow triangle. Replacing the battery fixed my issue. His issue 'might' be because of the mic and he might get the same warning triangle.

It sounds like he has a number of issues, not necessarily all from the same source. Guys who wrap might not be the best at remembering what all they disconnected or might not have noticed that their prying off pillars and headliners might take connections with them.

Like I said, there were a few things in the pillars...I think I posted pics of them in my thread...might be the gps or some other thing associated with your issues, OP?

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #16
thadoggfatha
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Well the car was in the shop today. They determined the TCU unit has water damage... they want 2399+taxes. Really unfortunate considering it's a roof wrap that caused this. Any advice would be appreciated on what I should do here. Is there an alternative to fixing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #17
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well the car was in the shop today. They determined the TCU unit has water damage... they want 2399+taxes. Really unfortunate considering it's a roof wrap that caused this. Any advice would be appreciated on what I should do here. Is there an alternative to fixing this issue?
Not to be skeptical, but if it was my car and it was out of warranty, I'd first try to replace the $50 battery and have a peak into the tcu...maybe you'll get lucky and see something you can fix.

If not, at that point, the TCU is maybe $800...maybe used ones are available...and it sounds like just installing it yourself, you can save over $1,000...and hope they're right.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #18
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Your comprehensive insurance will pay for this, minus your deductible. It covers electrical damage, related to user error.

If I'm not mistaken, a replacement telematics unit needs to be programmed to your VIN and the new IMEI has to be synced with the ConnectDrive headquarters; it can be an intricate job.

I would just make a claim and have a franchise dealer handle the replacement.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61579-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #19
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Is nobody going to pin this on the wrap shop? That's some BS, wonder how many other cars they've ruined with roof wraps. This is why I usually tell people to avoid roof wraps on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #20
thadoggfatha
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I completely agree that the wrap shop has some fault in this. According to the dealer they did not even remove the original adhesive and applied the 3M tape over it. I guess this is what you get for a $150 wrap job.

Wishing I paid more to have a better job done. Funny enough that after the wrap was done I had to go back for them to rewrap the antenna because it was peeling after 1 day. Would post their names up here, but I don't want to create an issue.

As for the battery issue in the TCU, I actually mentioned it to the technician and he said the battery also had corrosion on it and that changing the battery will likely not fix the issue. Although before I pay for it I will make them change it just to rule that out. Will keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:30 AM   #21
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'd save your money at the shop and replace the battery yourself. Just saying. If a tech does it, for some odd reason, it may not work for him and he'll put in a new TCU...which you could do yourself, if needed. Just saying. I've learned that the only way to do many things right is to do them yourself.

If you have a method for clearing error messages, you can do the battery in around an hour. One guy here said they charged him $400 for the battery alone.

Anyway, while searching for my tcu issue, I discovered that you're not the first to have water infiltration issues from a wrap. People are lazy, greedy, and IQ is Normally Distributed. I've had many things broken over the years from mechanics trying to do things as fast as they can--they miss stuff, use airguns when they shouldn't, and often break trim pieces.

Good luck sorting out your issue. $100 in tools will get you 95% of the way with most of your bmw issues.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
thadoggfatha
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Update

So I ended up taking the car back from the dealer and I removed the battery from the TCU. I have attached pictures and couldn't tell if there was anything wrong. Seems like the dealer snapped the clip for the TCU battery cover as it was just hanging down...

Beyond that I did notice the area where water could have penetrated and wet the TCU. I noticed a tiny bit of corrosion on the TCU terminal where the battery makes contact.

I want to physically remove the TCU to inspect but I have a feeling to do so you need to remove the antenna cover and take the screw out which is holding the antenna. Any tips on taking out the TCU are appreciated as it seems firmly held in place and I cannot make how to remove it.

Now I know that when an iPhone is corroded from water damage you can use alcohol and an abrasive brush to clean off ... I mean if the thing is really not working can't hurt to try :.

Based on the picture I could not fully make out if the battery was making contact inside the TCU as it seems the adhesive tape on the battery was not there. Any tips on what do do from here is appreciated. I think I can tackle this on my own minus the coding needed for a new TCU (IF I have to). Hard to believe BMW wanted approx 7 hour of labour for something that took me 15 minutes to gain access to... ( or maybe it isn't hard to believe )

The dealer was recommending the following parts:

8410 6836 753 - TCU
8410 2447 710 - Battery
6520 8794 262 - Roof Antenna, I don't understand if this is actually needed though as my radio stations and things seem to work. Although I cannot use the NAV...

Finally does anyone know the sealant that's BMW uses to attach the antenna. I believe they use betalink. Where can I get this as I plan to full reseal the antenna properly once this is done.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0