F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New F30 Owner looking for advice
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2021, 10:24 PM   #1
mboldeau
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 XDRIVE

Unhappy New F30 Owner looking for advice

Hello All,
I trust everyone had productive weeks and is looking forward to the weekend!
I recently picked up a 2018 340i XDrive and I wanted to see your thoughts on my current situation. The car is a 1 owner lease return with 28,000 miles on it. Car is not a CPO through BMW, it was purchased a separate dealer. Upon purchasing the car I noticed that the AC wasn't blowing cold (recharge needed), front pads needed changing, and the steering wheel was loose at high speeds (alignment).

The dealership I got the car from said that they take care of all repairs and issues within the first 30 days of purchase. So I made an appointment the service dept and took the car there, 30 minutes into dropping the car off I get a call and the service advisor notified me that the cars AC compressor needs to be replaced and that it's covered under the warranty from BMW, so they'll take it the BMW dealership and it will be replaced by them; annoying as the car has to go there, most likely order the part, wait and install. With that being said I don't know if they've looked at the brakes or did the alignment yet (maybe it's not the alignment, potentially shot control arms or thust bushings??) - me getting inside my own head here.

Obviously this is a little unsettling I'm thinking about practicing my NYC lemon law right and see if they can find me another car, get a refund and take my business elsewhere (as they ultimately sold me a problematic car) OR haggle within them once all repairs are complete to get a lower price on the total cost of car - as it is financed.

Seems as thought the previous owner truly just treated this car as just another leased car and I'm optimistic that once these immediate issues are dealt with I can enjoy this car for what it is, but the pessimistic side of me is saying that this is one of many and haggle to return. Once I do get the car back in my possession I will be taking the car to a reputable BMW shop here in the NYC area for a full and through check.

Looking for anyones; thoughts, advice or general words of wisdom here.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
28k miles, highly unlikely the control arms or thrust bushings are shot. It’s a used car - there is no lemon law to apply here. For better or worse the car is all yours. Gotta wonder why a low mileage lease return is at an independent dealer and not CPO’d by an Authorized BMW dealer. BMW dealers have first crack at off lease Bimmers at a special auction held just for them. Fortunately for you there is probably about a year of new car warranty left to cover problems you may have. However, it doesn’t cover maintenance items.

Since you are now the official owner of the car I’m not sure if the BMW dealer will repair the A/C compressor for the dealer you bought it from. They may require that you bring it in yourself.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 08-13-2021 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 02:19 AM   #3
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

This is my practice: when I buy a used car, I'll try to buy one still under manufacturers warranty (just like yours), and don't mind whether it's sold as CPO or not (Before buying I'd obviously try to make sure that it has no problems that I mind). Then, if I discover any problems with the car after purchase, I'd take it to BMW dealers to have it looked at when still under BMW warranty. I'm happier to have my car taken care of by BMW, bypassing the independent seller, so I'd be fine in your situation.

Last edited by HarryTee; 08-14-2021 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

NYS does have a lemon law on used cars. The only condition that might not apply to you is "within 2 years and mileage needs to be below 16k" BUT.... follow up with dealer and make sure they check everything out.
Appreciate 0