F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP Flash Transmission Side Effects
Studio RSR

07-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

xHP Flash Transmission Side Effects

Hey all, I know the clutch pack has less wear due to the rough shifts but I am concerned about what the increased torque, line pressure, etc would do to the transmission temperatures or wear and tear components. Is it really as safe as they make it seem?
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      07-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

XHP has been around for a while, i've read very little if any problems and i've used it on two vehicles. In theory, tighter shifts are better for the transmission as you state. My feeling is trans wear and tear and or failure would be more related to how the vehicle is driven/abused...
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
XHP has been around for a while, i've read very little if any problems and i've used it on two vehicles. In theory, tighter shifts are better for the transmission as you state. My feeling is trans wear and tear and or failure would be more related to how the vehicle is driven/abused...
I already flashed it minutes after posting lol. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

If you are using the default torque limits, there shouldn't be too much concern.

And even if you change the limits, where you run into problems (with xHP, or stock), is spinning tires. Life is good while they are slipping, but once they grip, you get a huge torque shock into the drivetrain. If you ever went fishing, think about how you can pull in a large fish on a low test line, but one quick snap of the rod in the weeds breaks the line and you lose your lure.

I found with BM3 Stage 2, if I didn't increase the limits on my xDrive, lower gears were torque limited by the engine.

One other "nice" thing is xHP gives you full manual mode in the transmission. In stock form, it would downshift if you punched the gas or upshift (at least in lower gears) if you bounced the rev limiter. This is all on you now.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
If you are using the default torque limits, there shouldn't be too much concern.

And even if you change the limits, where you run into problems (with xHP, or stock), is spinning tires. Life is good while they are slipping, but once they grip, you get a huge torque shock into the drivetrain. If you ever went fishing, think about how you can pull in a large fish on a low test line, but one quick snap of the rod in the weeds breaks the line and you lose your lure.

I found with BM3 Stage 2, if I didn't increase the limits on my xDrive, lower gears were torque limited by the engine.

One other "nice" thing is xHP gives you full manual mode in the transmission. In stock form, it would downshift if you punched the gas or upshift (at least in lower gears) if you bounced the rev limiter. This is all on you now.
What do you mean by downshift if you punched the gas in stock form? you mean like the car would automatically downshift or upshift if the rpms were super high or if the rpms were super low?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapphire440i View Post
What do you mean by downshift if you punched the gas in stock form? you mean like the car would automatically downshift or upshift if the rpms were super high or if the rpms were super low?
Yes, pre xHP, the car handled all the shifts. When in manual mode, the car would still prevent you bouncing the rev limiter (at least in 1st), and if you punched the gas, it would override the manual mode finding the best gear.

With xHP, when running in manual mode, if you are in 8th and you punch the gas, it stays in 8th. If you pin the throttle in 1st, it just bounces the rev limiter and doesn't upshift. It stays true to the "manual" concept.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:10 AM   #7
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Yes, pre xHP, the car handled all the shifts. When in manual mode, the car would still prevent you bouncing the rev limiter (at least in 1st), and if you punched the gas, it would override the manual mode finding the best gear.

With xHP, when running in manual mode, if you are in 8th and you punch the gas, it stays in 8th. If you pin the throttle in 1st, it just bounces the rev limiter and doesn't upshift. It stays true to the "manual" concept.
i found out the hard way whenever i expected my car to shift in first gear after getting the xHP tune to have the engine choke in first gear max rpm for a couple seconds. worst shit ever lol
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      07-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapphire440i View Post
i found out the hard way whenever i expected my car to shift in first gear after getting the xHP tune to have the engine choke in first gear max rpm for a couple seconds. worst shit ever lol
That was my exact issue! Also found in sport+ you can push further into redline, whereas sport is right at redline. Once I figured out that apparently the car was taking car of my 1-2 shift, I then learned with BM3 stage 2, it accelerates faster than I was used to and would fall on it's face due to a rev spike on the 1-2 + throttle cut.
Appreciate 0